One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-04 01:03:50

Ferna

Re: Update v195: Temperature of Desert Buffed, (Jungles still op)

pein wrote:

bean burritos use up 1.5 wheat, bread 1 , pies 0.25 for 1 plate
its just a special case of having too much beans, happens often that people pick a seed accidentally, drop it, then someone plants it everywhere

Swiping a Bowl of Green beans while the plants are fresh takes a single action and produces net food (+9 pips) compared to:

1. Pulling off 6 Dry Bean Pods individually
2. Putting them each into a bowl
3. Mashing them
4. Rinsing them
5. Cooking them on hot coals
6. Making 2 Bowls of Dough
7. Forming 6 Wheat Tortillas
8. Stacking them
9. Combining it all to finish a set of Bean Burritos

I just really don't see any situation where a village would benefit from a resident Burrito Man doing all that work, when any farmer could produce more food (and equivalent Yum) without even pausing their watering routine. Not to mention that Dry Bean Pods can't decay, so there's never any pressure to "use them up" when you could produce 8 meals of Three Sisters Stew (ideally) or Bean Tacos (for Yum) with the same ingredients at some point in the future.

Since Bean Burritos already provide maximum food (19 pips) per meal, there's not really a way for Jason to make them worthwhile for a village either, without adding new art to support a larger stack size or multiple bites per burrito (like Baked Potatoes).

#27 2019-02-06 06:39:18

Spoonwood

All of this talk about bean burritos versus other foods considers individual foods in the abstract.  Really, that math isn't accurate.  Why?  Because it doesn't account for yum at all.  Making BOTH green beans and bean burritos in a life, I doubt would be all that difficult.  One can start on the green beans, prepare the burritos, grab the beans, and then cook the burritos.  Would that even take a decade?  It's probably two more sources of yum for a colony.  If someone complains about clay bowls with green beans, then just get them more clay.  Clay doesn't decay, and it comes as hard to imagine a colony having too many clay bowls and plates (unless it doesn't have enough adobe I suppose).

Also, I couldn't disagree with the person more saying the following:

DestinyCall wrote:

"If you have mutton or rabbit meat available, you should make meat pies."

Just no, simply no.  I mean especially if it's not the all too common mutton and rabbit pie only.  It's done all too often and often yucky.  The cook should make rabbit pie, mutton pie, cooked mutton meat, berry pie, berry carrot pie, carrot pie, berry rabbit pie, carrot rabbit pie, berry rabbit pie, and bread or at least as many as those as the cook can get from one fire in an oven.  If there exist multiple cooks, then two of each type.  Oh... and cooking a turkey last also would be a good bonus, if a hunter got one home.  Ignoring the mutton meat, that's still +8 yum over cooking only meat pies.  That's also +8 for the last pie yum.  So, in effect that (+ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) = 36 yum from cooking multiple types of foods.  If players eat other things also, then that yum is even more beneficial and powerful.  45, 55, 66, 78, 91 yum and so on, and those multiple pie types can pay off.  Pie yum farming can also start fairly early on.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2019-02-06 15:19:53

CrazyEddie

Yum is a pointless toy, like most foods.

#29 2019-02-06 20:03:26

fragilityh14

if you actually try to focus on the order of food yum can really make you go through quite a small amount of food. I started paying a bit more attention to it recently since it effects fertility. At the very least, it's of enough value to vary up the pie types and have different foods around camp.

Also, having a more diverse food system is generally more stable and more fun.

I also remain convinced there are at least a moderate amount of starvation deaths caused by people waiting til the last minute to eat to save food.

At least that's what i assume by the sheer number of people who inexplicably drop dead surrounded by food.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#30 2019-02-06 20:36:05

DestinyCall

fragilityh14 wrote:

At the very least, it's of enough value to vary up the pie types and have different foods around camp.   Also, having a more diverse food system is generally more stable and more fun.

I strongly agree with providing a varied food supply for yum bonus, after the bakery is well-stocked with mutton pies.   Meat pies (and milk) are the most labor/resource efficient foods in the game, so they should be the staple food of anyone who is NOT actively managing their yum bonus.  But if your vlage has enough food variety to allow people to get +10 yum or higher ... it is awesome.  Especially for the elderly, who normally struggle to work in their last ten years of life.

One word of caution, however.  When it comes to pie variety, aim for mutton and rabbit pies first.  Then make bread and cooked mutton.   If you have enough carrots, you can make rabbit/carrot.   But do not make any pies with berry.   It is wasteful and, since all the pies look alike, it is too hard for people to tell them apart for yum purposes.   It would be better to provide obvious pie alternatives, like stew or burritos, rather than six different types of identical-looking pies.

#31 2019-02-07 00:30:46

Ferna

DestinyCall wrote:

But do not make any pies with berry.   It is wasteful and, since all the pies look alike, it is too hard for people to tell them apart for yum purposes.   It would be better to provide obvious pie alternatives, like stew or burritos, rather than six different types of identical-looking pies.

This is a good warning to share. Between all the available foods now, only 4 turn out to be "food loss" recipes for a village: Rabbit Berry Pie (-56 pips), Rabbit Berry Carrot Pie (-52 pips), Buttered Bread with Skim Milk (-28 pips), and Bean Burritos (-9 pips).

While many players approach Yum bonus with a bit of mysticism, it's actually super simple to look at the math for whether Yum will outweigh food loss on these recipes:

Minimum Yum Chain * Meals Provided - Comparative Food Loss >= 0

Generally, foods which provide multiple Yum counts (like Turkey or Potatoes) or a large number of meals make the best candidates for increasing the variety of diets in your village. But if the Yum chain requirement is especially high for any recipe (>4x), you shouldn't leave it out where newbies might consume it by accident.

So where do those 4 foods break-even with Yum?
RB Pie & RBC Pie each provide 4 meals and 1 Yum count per player, across a set of 4 pies per batch. For them to be a net food gain for the village, every person who eats one needs at least 4x Yum Chain after having already consumed a Gooseberry, a Carrot, and a Slice of Bread. That's practical for experienced players, but it can have a negative impact on your village's Compost cycle if too many are made at once.

Buttered Bread together with Skim Milk provides 2 Yum counts for 8 meals and 1 Yum count for 2 meals. For this to be a good variety addition over just Bread and Whole Milk, each person who starts eating them needs at least 1x Yum Chain beforehand. Well, that's super easy even for newbies! It also helps with teaching them to milk Cows, which is one of the best food sources in the entire game (up to ~1,600 food per Soil).

And finally, Bean Burritos provide 1 Yum count for 6 meals. For them to be a net food gain for the village over Bean Tacos, every person who eats one needs at least 10x Yum Chain after having already consumed a Bowl of Green Beans. That's going to be quite rare and puts Bean Burritos at nearly the very last in line for sources of diet variety.

Last edited by Ferna (2019-02-07 01:41:46)

#32 2019-02-07 01:12:06

Ferna

fragilityh14 wrote:

I also remain convinced there are at least a moderate amount of starvation deaths caused by people waiting til the last minute to eat to save food.

At least that's what i assume by the sheer number of people who inexplicably drop dead surrounded by food.

After teaching a lot of new players, those deaths are almost always a result of inexperience. Newbies are much more likely to have trouble recognizing food sources (e.g. "There's stew I can eat if I have a bowl"), avoiding temperature extremes (e.g. standing in a fire on Desert), or responding quickly enough when they notice the starvation pings. All of which make it pretty easy to die with food close at hand.

It's much more common to find experienced players hoarding food ahead of time in packs or hidden behind trees, and being a bit more wasteful with their food consumption in favor of time efficiency or preserving Yum chains. When famine hits a village, it often results in a higher rate of newbie deaths because experienced players are so good at guarding their food sources from others.

#33 2019-02-07 02:10:33

Booklat1

As it has been demonstraded many times, yum is only good when eating foods that are already good. Don't go out of your way to produce bad foods because their very costs make them less worthy than better foods.

Arguably all civs could live off of mutton pies, even wasting half of it of it it's more efficient than, for example, popcorn.

Take individual foods, find the cost of each bite, compare with eating mutton pies over and over, you'll see what is cheaper. Just remember to account indivdual btes, don't add yum to the bite and multiply number of bites, that doesn't work since we can't break chain.

#34 2019-02-07 06:14:42

Ferna

Booklat1 wrote:

Just remember to account indivdual btes, don't add yum to the bite and multiply number of bites, that doesn't work since we can't break chain.

You might be confusing the math a bit. If you're looking at Yum chains specifically, it should always be one bite per player to find how much bonus it can provide, ie. 6 meals provided means 6 players using it in different Yum chains.

Newbies usually don't know how to recognize enough foods to build >4x Yum chain, so it's best to funnel them toward the staple efficient foods: Whole Milk, Three Sisters Stew, Carved Turkey, Mutton Pie, and Rabbit Pie.

It's wrong to think one staple food is enough, though! That's easily the quickest way to create a famine since there's a single point of failure on the whole village's food supply. It's much better to have 3-4 staple foods available, minimum, so that you can reduce overcrowding in workspaces and avoid reliance on Gooseberry Bushes (which newbies wipe out completely in times of famine).

In particular, Mutton Pies are not a good sole food in any village since the Compost -> Gooseberry -> Sheep cycle takes up to 15 minutes to restore if it gets interrupted. Most other staples benefit from having raw ingredients that newbies don't know how to eat, and also won't miscook nearly as often (like the dreaded baskets of Cooked Mutton just as you go to make pie). Not to mention Mutton Pies are only the 5th-most efficient food.

#35 2019-02-07 08:42:17

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

At the very least, it's of enough value to vary up the pie types and have different foods around camp.   Also, having a more diverse food system is generally more stable and more fun.

I strongly agree with providing a varied food supply for yum bonus, after the bakery is well-stocked with mutton pies.   Meat pies (and milk) are the most labor/resource efficient foods in the game, so they should be the staple food of anyone who is NOT actively managing their yum bonus.  But if your vlage has enough food variety to allow people to get +10 yum or higher ... it is awesome.  Especially for the elderly, who normally struggle to work in their last ten years of life.

One word of caution, however.  When it comes to pie variety, aim for mutton and rabbit pies first.  Then make bread and cooked mutton.   If you have enough carrots, you can make rabbit/carrot.   But do not make any pies with berry.   It is wasteful and, since all the pies look alike, it is too hard for people to tell them apart for yum purposes.   It would be better to provide obvious pie alternatives, like stew or burritos, rather than six different types of identical-looking pies.

It can simply get done quicker and faster to make a variety of pie types than to only make meat pies and then make stew or burritos also.  Also, where are those mutton pies coming from early on?  I guess I've only do it in solo Eve runs, but I can easily imagine making 7 pie types before sheep in a more regular village.  And if the badlands are close, or a mouflon is close enough it's possible to get all 8 pie types before sheep.  7 pie types plus berries, berry in a bowl, domestic carrots, popcorn, green beans, and shucked corn is well more than +10 yum before considering burdock, onions, cactus fruit, bananas, and wild carrots.  That can also get done before a knife.  I think 8 pies is enough to justify the use of kindling.  The hard part though might be having those early rabbits, since sometimes prairies aren't close or no one wants to hunt a few rabbits.

Also, do you want more weaker players early on?  Because encouraging people not to go for yum early on, I think, encourages more weaker players.  Going for more yum, I think, will attract stronger players and encourage them to stay around, and they'll probably use those foods fairly well.  Or at least that's my hope.  I don't see enough to justify waiting to improve yum, other than waiting on things like potatoes, sauerkraut, and mangoes.  And really I think a multiple pie approach might lead to more colonies getting things done earlier.  If anything, mutton pie should be the last type of pie cooked.

Danish Clinch.

#36 2019-02-07 09:48:07

Spoonwood

Ferna wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

But do not make any pies with berry.   It is wasteful and, since all the pies look alike, it is too hard for people to tell them apart for yum purposes.   It would be better to provide obvious pie alternatives, like stew or burritos, rather than six different types of identical-looking pies.

This is a good warning to share. Between all the available foods now, only 4 turn out to be "food loss" recipes for a village: Rabbit Berry Pie (-56 pips), Rabbit Berry Carrot Pie (-52 pips), Buttered Bread with Skim Milk (-28 pips), and Bean Burritos (-9 pips).

A cooked rabbit is 10 pips.  6 berries in a bowl is 30 pips.  So, 40 pips for a rabbit and a bowl of berries.  Each bite of a berry rabbit pie is 18 pips.  So, a berry rabbit pie plate is 72 pips.  Even not accounting for yum, where is the pip loss?  Sounds like pip gain of (72 - 40) = 32 pips.  Sure, they might get overeaten, but 32/4 = 8.  So, the break even point on each bite of a berry rabbit pies is eating a berry rabbit pie when down (18 - 8) = 10 pips.  If down more, the berry rabbit pies beat out the other two foods.  Alright, so we account for yum.  But, your settlement probably still has berries and has berry rabbit pies, so that evens out.  Sure seems like berry rabbit pies win.

A cooked rabbit is 10 pips.  6 berries in a bowl is 30 pips.  A carrot is 7 pips.  So, 47 pips.  Rabbit berry carrot pie is 20 pips per bite.  So, the plate is 80 pips.  Sounds like a pip gain of (80 - 47) = 33 pips.  That's a little more than 8 extra pips per bite (33 / 4).  So, the break even point is eating a berry rabbit carrot pie is eating when down (20 - 8) = 12 pips.  Eating down more than 12 pips makes the rabbit berry carrot pie even better.  Again, your colony has or fairly quickly can have berries and carrots still.  Both foods are wild.  So, again it seems like the pie wins.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that skim milk is somehow wasteful.  Were you comparing it to whole milk?  Alright, maybe whole milk probably should come before skim milk.  But, shucked corn is a mere 5 pips.  Each bowl of skim milk is 8 pips.  A whole bucket of fluid minus one (for the cream) is exactly how many bowls?  It's at least 6, right?  So, if it's only six, and I think it's more, that's 48 pips from skim milk.  Your settlement probably has shucked corn also.  So, this really isn't close.  The difficulties lie in getting a suitable structure up for cows and getting the necessary tools for buckets for milk and/or getting your hands on a bow and two arrows.  The math seems overwhelming really.  The berry pies I talked about above have the drawback in that fewer bites exist (4 for each pie, and 7 or 8 for the raw foods), so not as many mouths could get fed.  This doesn't exist with skim milk.  More bites... er... drinks exist with skim milk.  Skim milk wins by a landslide.

A bowl of green beans has 6 bites.  Each bite is 4 pips.  So, that's 24 pips.  A bowl of cooked beans can turn into 6 bean burritos with the wheat.  Bean burritos are 19 pips. That's 6 servings of bean burritos for 19 pips each, correct?  That's a whopping 114 pips.  (114 - 24) = 90 pip increase!  The same number of bites for green beans and bean burritos.  Sure seems like a massive pip gain to me, and what is the drawback?  Sure you have to find the flat rocks, and set up a production line, cook those beans over hot coals hopefully not use the main fire which unfortunately went out to hot coals, have plates, and use wheat.  But, so what.  90 pip increase and the same number of mouths to feed!

A bowl of berries is 30 pips.  Each bite of a berry pie is 12 pips.  So, a berry pie plate is 48 pips.  That's a gain of (48 - 30) = 18 pips, which still gives (18 / 4) = a little more than 4 extra pips per bite.  So, the break even point is eating a berry pie when down 8 pips, and if more, up to twelve, berry pie has even more benefits.

Alright, so the above ignores the wheat, correct?  Each bite of bread is 8 pips, and there exist 8 bites on a plate. So, 64 less for each one, and even skim milk I think still overwhelming still good, I'll ignore it.  Edit: Wait... wheat is either 4 raw pie crusts or 6 wheat dough.  Thus, I think the meaningful number is (64 / 4) = 16 for each pie plate and (16 + 8) = 24 for a full bean burrito plate.  Now, that's (32 - 16) =  16 for rabbit berry pie, (33 - 16) = 17 for rabbit berry carrot pie, (90 - 24) = 66 for bean burritos, and (18 - 16) = 2 for berry pie.  But now that's all bread and less yum, because you probably still have berries or carrots or can get them from wild sources.  Also, the bread will have to take time rise in bowls, unlike filling up a bowl, mashing it if needed, and then dumping it out onto a plate.  So, just making bread will require more clay, and more time before cooking can get started.  Even berry pie still ends up as worth it in terms of efficiency.  The only deficiency is that vegetables in pies means fewer mouths can get fed at a time, but if people look for wild foods, I'm not sure that's so much of a problem.

Also, with those berry and carrot pies once those berries get onto a plate, someone can get started on regrowing those foods.  Processing mutton into mutton meat is a more time consuming process than any other pie type, since sheep need to get sheared, killed, and cleaned up.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-02-07 10:21:39)

Danish Clinch.

#37 2019-02-07 10:00:37

Spoonwood

"Staple efficient foods."

I think that every cooked food is more efficient than the raw form, including berry pie.  Also, if we want to talk about water and soil, we should talk a little about turkeys, cooked rabbits, cooked mutton from wild sources (which also can yield mouflon hide in the process for anyone likely to be moving through cold areas), and eggs.  Eggs especially since they don't have other uses and the eggs regenerate over time... especially if you have enough ponds.  Sure, maybe things get a bit more cramped with eggs, but inconvenience of space is better than starvation.  Additionally, animals are less likely to harm people in cluttered villages, because animals can't harm anyone standing on an item.

Danish Clinch.

#38 2019-02-07 10:06:30

Nepumuk

You know there's an edit button right?

I am Eve Speed.

#39 2019-02-07 10:09:02

Michie

-Additionally, animals are less likely to harm people in cluttered villages, because animals can't harm anyone standing on an item.-

Or, you know, you kill the animals...

#40 2019-02-07 21:31:42

Ferna

Spoonwood wrote:

A cooked rabbit is 10 pips.  6 berries in a bowl is 30 pips.  So, 40 pips for a rabbit and a bowl of berries.  Each bite of a berry rabbit pie is 18 pips.  So, a berry rabbit pie plate is 72 pips.  Even not accounting for yum, where is the pip loss?

Don't get too tangled in the math. Since crafting relies on production chains, you should always compare against the nearest one-step simpler food that can be made with the same ingredients. For example,

1 Cooked Rabbit Pie (56) + 1 Carrot (7) + 1 Bowl of Gooseberries (30) = 93 food provided
1 Cooked Rabbit Berry Carrot Pie (80) = 80 food provided

Since the batch size (1 Bowl of Dough) is 4 pies, your net food is -13 x 4 = -52 food pips. As I showed earlier in the thread, you need an average of 4x Yum Chain from every player eating it to justify taking additional actions to make a RBC Pie over the one-step simpler Rabbit Pie. However, it's generally preferable to make Rabbit Carrot Pie (+36 pips) over either option, since that's a net positive crafting step regardless of Yum bonus.

I won't take up everyone's time by walking through your other examples in detail, but they do each appear to be omitting ingredients or skipping over the one-step simpler comparison for crafting purposes. If you're unsure on the details for a recipe, you can always visit OneTech to look up the correct stuff beforehand.

#41 2019-02-08 04:13:41

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

I think that every cooked food is more efficient than the raw form, including berry pie.

I think you are missing the point.    When you take into account the opportunity cost of processing one wheat and four bowls of berries into a set of berry pies, compared with eating berries and bread, you are only gaining 8 pips.   That is only two extra pips per pie. This is a ridiculously bad return compared with a rabbit pie where the difference is 120 pips between making a set of meat pies versus making cooked meat and bread.  Every pie gives 30 "bonus" pips, so it is a great food to make in high quantities as a village staple for all the people who never consider yum-chaining.

Berry pies are a poor time investment, because they require more processing for hardly any benefit. Using the wheat to make meat pies would provide much more food with a lower resource and labour cost.  The potential for a yum bonus is not a good enough to make berry pies worth making, unless you have run out of options.  It is a waste of time and berries.

Some foods are ONLY good for yum bonus and entertainment value.  Berry pies and mango slices and baked potatoes fall into this category.  Never try to feed a whole village with mango slices ...

#42 2019-02-08 06:17:23

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I think that every cooked food is more efficient than the raw form, including berry pie.

Berry pies are a poor time investment, because they require more processing for hardly any benefit. Using the wheat to make meat pies would provide much more food with a lower resource and labour cost.  The potential for a yum bonus is not a good enough to make berry pies worth making, unless you have run out of options.  It is a waste of time and berries.

Some foods are ONLY good for yum bonus and entertainment value.  Berry pies and mango slices and baked potatoes fall into this category.  Never try to feed a whole village with mango slices ...

I disagree.  I really don't like the sound of 'only good for yum bonus', because the more the yum bonus gets used without overfilling of the pip bar too much when eating, the more that can get done and get done with less eating (at least... given that foods aren't too far away from each other).  Berry pies are still worthy making.  They just come as "worst" type of pie. 

Also, I disagree strongly about potatoes.  A strong use of potatoes, which isn't possible with other foods, is for long trips.  Unlike most other foods which gives you 13 bars of time, a whole potato does not require a bowl or plate to stay on.  I say 13 bars, because it's 6 pips for the first bite and effectively 6 pips for the second bite plus the yum bonus.  So, if both bites get eaten on a trip, that clears up space in one's backpack or basket for more to bring home and can fill one up before heading for home.  Potatoes qualify as better than any other food for long trips given that a player tries to keep his or her yum chain going and wants to bring home as much as possible.  And keeping a yum chain going on a long trip can help out a lot.

Mangoes qualify as an intergenerational project, and I had to learn how to grow mango trees.  Mango trees probably should be the last new type of thing planted, unless you feel sure that the water supply has gotten under control, and you have descendants who you believe will know how to grow them.  I think I agree on those, since so many other foods can easily and can also effectively get made earlier that even eating mangoes for yum probably isn't worth the time, at least for players trying to minimize, as much as reasonable, overfilling their pip bar when eating food.  I think I agree on those.

Danish Clinch.

#43 2019-02-08 12:58:11

CrazyEddie

Spoonwood wrote:

Potatoes qualify as better than any other food for long trips given that a player tries to keep his or her yum chain going and wants to bring home as much as possible.

If you're going on a long trip, forget about yum and bring pies.

Yum is a toy.

#44 2019-02-08 13:47:12

Tarr
Banned

Berry pies and potatoes. It's a little early to be speaking of such bad things in any sort of good grace unless we're trying to make an April fools joke.

Berry pies convert from 35 pips to 48 which is absolutely abysmal. The berries used to make that pie in the first place would be much better spent just feeding a sheep in the first place than being wasted in any of the berry combination pies. Unless you have people specifically making sure to yum chain making any of the berry pies is the baker either being bored or just plain being wasteful. I'd rather my bakers be making carrot pies which is 7 pips to 28 or just make a plate of bread.

Potatoes are pretty much terrible on all fronts. They managed to take up more soil than any other crop besides mango trees, litter tiles like carrots do or require baskets to hold them. Required getting cooked before being eaten, using up charges on the shovel, and generally just making plots of land go unused because no one wants to pick the potatoes. 12 pips per potato + 2 yum isn't worth any of this extra hassle. 60 pips per plot (48 if reseeding) isn't worth the price.

If your population is going through the steps to eat different foods sure making a few berry pies and baked potatoes is great however if you're not playing with a small group or playing on the main server making these things are bad.

fug it’s Tarr.

#45 2019-02-08 14:18:01

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

Berry pies and potatoes. It's a little early to be speaking of such bad things in any sort of good grace unless we're trying to make an April fools joke.

If your population is going through the steps to eat different foods sure making a few berry pies and baked potatoes is great however if you're not playing with a small group or playing on the main server making these things are bad.

I wasn't making an April Fools joke.  Your last comment especially indicates that you don't believe that players on the main server won't take the steps to eat different foods or learn to do so.  Both berry pies and potatoes are good foods.  Sure, potatoes cost shovel charges, but just convert how many dug graves you see in a main server game into potatoes.  At least you didn't say something as silly as:

CrazyEddie wrote:

Yum is a toy.

To the person who said that:

+10 yum often isn't all that difficult after a few generations.  That's (+ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10) = 55 bars of food that a player doesn't have to eat if not overfilling their pip bar, or doing so just as much as they would otherwise.  That's the equivalent of 11 berries with no yum and almost an entire mutton pie plate.

Wild food yum meaning a berry, a wild carrot, a burdock, an onion, a banana, and a cactus fruit is (+ 1 2 3 4 5) = 15 yum.  That's an entire mutton pie bite that a player won't have to eat.  Throw in a potato and half baked potato and that's (+ 15 6 7) = 28 yum.  That's almost two bites of a mutton pie possible on a trip with extra space clear to take something else home.  And it's even better if a yum chain gets started with domestic foods at home like a berry in a bowl or something.

Danish Clinch.

#46 2019-02-08 14:46:44

BlueDiamondAvatar

Update please!!

Betame, Ferna?

Jason just changed the codes for heating biomes and clothing (visible on the official OHOL discord or github).  It looks to me like we are now raising babies in jungle or the camp starves.  Maybe in neutral zones with clothes and/or a fire.  And desert cities are seriously dead.

Good thing I just got to the point where I can finish a decent mosquito wall in one lifetime.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#47 2019-02-08 15:15:53

Psykout

Spoonwood wrote:

I wasn't making an April Fools joke.  Your last comment especially indicates that you don't believe that players on the main server won't take the steps to eat different foods or learn to do so.

There is a higher chance that they won't than the will, when dealing with chances especially when hoping for the smaller chance to get a reward, you are gambling. The math could be done but I would guess that 1-2 people eating these foods without the yum bonus would make the food not worth it. One guy that forgot to eat sooner and is scrambling and eats the wrong pie out of rotation, and now that berry pie takes a nosedive to how much theoretical food can be offered. Needed the whole village to coordinate foods available and foods eaten in an unorganized group of players on the big server sounds like a nightmare. I can barely keep dirt near a 4x4 berry patch without someone coming up and tilling it for random carrots making some 4x6 (some rows 5 and some rows 7) mixed planted monstrosity in the middle of the village. It's too much work that needs even more work to be taken advantage of, some things sound great on paper, but should stay on paper.

Spoonwood wrote:

Both berry pies and potatoes are good foods.  Sure, potatoes cost shovel charges, but just convert how many dug graves you see in a main server game into potatoes.

You should take a second to acknowledge that statement. One, on paper, yes if you were to stop every single grave from happening and for those uses would equate to a lot of food. But, you are not going to stop every grave from happening so you would have a split between graves and potatoes, which I doubt would be a clean split, and would most likely end up being more shovel use than if we never planted potatoes until Jason fixes them or gives us a tool that is solely for potatoes and graves such as a trowel (digging a grave with a trowel sounds like a military punishment though) Secondly, you will only exacerbate shovel/iron use trying to make potatoes work in a settlement that is not communicating on discord or something. Thirdly, you are better off using those shovel uses for other things and that iron for other tools. Rather than converting graves into potatoes in your head, convert those graves to compost piles, way better use.

#48 2019-12-19 22:54:05

Toxolotl

Spoonwood wrote:

All of this talk about bean burritos versus other foods considers individual foods in the abstract.  Really, that math isn't accurate.  Why?  Because it doesn't account for yum at all.  Making BOTH green beans and bean burritos in a life, I doubt would be all that difficult.  One can start on the green beans, prepare the burritos, grab the beans, and then cook the burritos.  Would that even take a decade?  It's probably two more sources of yum for a colony.  If someone complains about clay bowls with green beans, then just get them more clay.  Clay doesn't decay, and it comes as hard to imagine a colony having too many clay bowls and plates (unless it doesn't have enough adobe I suppose).

Also, I couldn't disagree with the person more saying the following:

DestinyCall wrote:

"If you have mutton or rabbit meat available, you should make meat pies."

Just no, simply no.  I mean especially if it's not the all too common mutton and rabbit pie only.  It's done all too often and often yucky.  The cook should make rabbit pie, mutton pie, cooked mutton meat, berry pie, berry carrot pie, carrot pie, berry rabbit pie, carrot rabbit pie, berry rabbit pie, and bread or at least as many as those as the cook can get from one fire in an oven.  If there exist multiple cooks, then two of each type.  Oh... and cooking a turkey last also would be a good bonus, if a hunter got one home.  Ignoring the mutton meat, that's still +8 yum over cooking only meat pies.  That's also +8 for the last pie yum.  So, in effect that (+ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) = 36 yum from cooking multiple types of foods.  If players eat other things also, then that yum is even more beneficial and powerful.  45, 55, 66, 78, 91 yum and so on, and those multiple pie types can pay off.  Pie yum farming can also start fairly early on.

With all the Spoonwood necroing i thought we could reminisce over their first ever post on the forums. Enjoy.

#49 2019-12-19 23:18:01

DestinyCall

Oh no ... what have you done ....WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED!!!

#50 2019-12-20 00:44:24

jcwilk

I hate you all

Board footer