One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-23 18:03:34

Zombeh

Reminder to new players about cows

I can't tell you how many lives I had the last few days with cow issues. so I feel getting more information out there couldn't hurt. Of course, there's Onetech, but not everyone knows to visit there. I've explained this enough time in the game to teach people, so I'm going to hope maybe people will benefit from this.

Milk cows are really nice to have because milk is a really good food source. You make butter and then skim milk. If you have enough buckets it's just something nice to have. I like it a lot better than stew honestly since it doesn't stick in bowls and has only one use. (So it's like less clutter.) I feel milk is one of the better food sources for people, but I don't see it too often in villages, so maybe this will benefit someone.

To get a milk cow you need to have a domestic cow have a calf. You do this by feeding it corn kernels in a bowl. It'll pop out a calf after some time and once the calf leaves its mother, you get a milk cow. Once it's a milk cow you'll use an empty bucket on it to get a bucket of milk. But then it'll become a 'dry' milk cow. This is an easy fix by giving the cow a bowl full of water to drink. If you let a cow be a "dry' milk cow for too long, it'll revert back into a domestic cow and you'll need to repeat the whole process. (Also if you never get the milk off the milk cow it'll turn back into a domestic cow over time as well, so be aware of that too)

It's pretty simple honestly, but can be a time consuming having to wait for a calf from a bison to grow up. Speaking of bison, after you get a domestic cow enclosed somewhere you don't need a bison anymore. If anything they pop out babies all the time and make a pen super messy and gross.

Cows and the crafting recipes/tech tree

Last edited by Zombeh (2018-09-23 18:05:08)

Ever had more than 15 babies in one life? I have.

So many babies.

#2 2018-09-23 18:10:28

MultiLife

Re: Reminder to new players about cows

Good read, I actually haven't done much with cows myself (only helped getting a bison), so it was good to have this check-in on how to deal with them, thank you. Can the domestic bisons be killed like a wild bison? And I think the tiny one tile bison pen is still the ideal way to "store" the bison without littering the area with dead calves, right?
If you drink some milk from a bucket, will it not separate anymore? Like when it's partial bucket of milk?

Btw that name in you sig, Cotton Dragon, it's somehow just adorable.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-23 18:11:06)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-09-23 18:21:07

Zombeh

No problem. c:

I can't say so much on how to pen them, but that sounds ideal. Because bison just pop out babies constantly. I've seen people put them in the pen with sheep.. it gets so messy. No domestic bison can't be killed, which makes it an even bigger pain sometimes. I've never seen anyone trap them in a one tile area in any villages so far, but that sounds like a good ideal. I'll have to try that next time I get a chance to.

Yes, only full bucket's of milk will be separated and able to be used for butter and turn into skim milk. So it's always better to not drink milk until it's been separated so you can get both butter and skim milk.

It's probably one of my more favorite names I've been given so far honestly. Lol.

Last edited by Zombeh (2018-09-23 18:21:18)

So many babies.

#4 2018-09-23 18:27:18

tana

tbh i hate when ppl bring a bison calf into the sheep pen, it ends up cluttering way more.
It makes more sense to me to grow the bison in the wild then bring the cow back to city where you can have prepared a little pen for it, it's not hard to lead it to it.
I'm not sure about it, feel free to correct me, but i seem to remember reading somewhere that when the cow is milking, you can actually fill as many buckets as you can if you have several empty prepared untill the cow dries up again.
And yes, if you immediately take a bowl of milk out of the fresh bucket, the cream won't separate, but you can fill it back (if for example you have two partial buckets of milk) and once full again it will separate.

the probem is it's rather a high late tech tree, since you need all the tools made (apart from the pickaxe),so berry farm will be already developped by then, and very often the first buckets are needed for deep wells and farms, plus, usually any bucket you make in advance will be snatched by a player and used to water the plants or stanchion kits hmm

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#5 2018-09-23 18:29:23

Dodge

Cows, one of the best and most underated griefing tool
only requires one corn to grow
cant be killed
will follow you everywhere
can make forging and cooking a nightmare and wanting to stab the cow repeatedly

but seriously must be kept in pen absolutly, at least until they are killable

#6 2018-09-23 18:55:28

boggers

I had a milk cow that kept reverting to domestic cow today... Was the glitch fixed, or do I just not know how to glitch them properly?

#7 2018-09-23 19:05:09

pein

well you dig a pen

oxo
xcx
xox
xxx

o-open,x-wall/pit/rose
now c is a filled pit, home marker or berry bush
but dont place it if luring from front, keep empty
if you lure it from back just set the stakes and leave the shovel there

get 2 bowls with corn, make sure you plant other or you got more

bring the bison slightly closer to city,  feed it outisde
will pop babies and its a bit of clutter  but eventually goes away
the small cow will follow you everywhere so as long as you can step towards the new pen, and you got empty tiles on the way, you can lure it into one position

now the last part is as tricky as digging a berry bush out, just feed it, then drop the bowl in front of it, if you made the 2 free tile pen
as long as its an item, wont go out, then get bowl of soil, swap on it, pick up dump fast before it moves, if moves will follow anyway but you might need few seconds

if you lure from back and shovel prepared, just dig the last pit after it moves into position

if you want filled pit, then you can only lure it from top or bottom so there is that, but you can even make pen on the go around a cow

it needs 1 corn then 9 water to give 10 buckets of milk, you need to give water before next milking

so the trick is to use one bucket of water, take out one and use on something like dough
give corn, milk it, one milk out to other bucket
give water, milk it, one milk out to other bucket
water 2... milk3...bucket 3
water 8...milk9...bucket 9
water 9, bucket is empty, use ot on cow, milk 10, take out a bowl of milk
so you need 11 buckets and 2 bowls (feeding and taking out milk is easier with two)
and no 12 buckets if you take one water out at first or at the end
end up with 11x9 milk, and drink last one

needs the buckets and its time sensitive but yeah, worth it anyway

Last edited by pein (2018-09-24 07:46:56)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-09-23 19:06:44

Tarr
Banned

boggers wrote:

I had a milk cow that kept reverting to domestic cow today... Was the glitch fixed, or do I just not know how to glitch them properly?

Milk the cow to set it into the dry milk cow state and do not water it until you want to get more milk. If you feed or water the cow but do not milk it the cow will transition back into the normal domestic state.

Feed > Milk > Water > Milk > Water > Milk repeat as needed/wanted. Feeding is cut out after the first time.

Any time you water but do not milk the cow will revert into its normal domestic state.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-09-23 19:07:35)

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-09-23 19:35:31

Zombeh

Had no idea you could put the milk back in the bucket, so that's good to know.

Ah I didn't know that Tarr, thank you! I just assumed it reverted back regardless in either state, so it's good to know it won't if it's in the dry cow state.

So many babies.

#10 2018-09-23 20:12:53

boggers

Tarr wrote:
boggers wrote:

Milk the cow to set it into the dry milk cow state and do not water it until you want to get more milk. If you feed or water the cow but do not milk it the cow will transition back into the normal domestic state.

Feed > Milk > Water > Milk > Water > Milk repeat as needed/wanted. Feeding is cut out after the first time.

Any time you water but do not milk the cow will revert into its normal domestic state.

I ended up with a domestic cow and a bucket of milk, so I *think* that is exactly what I did and it reverted from dry to domestic.

Onetech seems to suggest dry milk cow reverts to domestic cow in 3 seconds and milk cow reverts in 30 seconds, but it does not mention it changing recently. So now I'm not sure.

Will have to verify in game, I was dicking around with the fences and corn and escaped mouflon (using maple farms and proper wood fences on a quiet server!) maybe I accidentally watered it twice...

#11 2018-09-23 20:24:07

Toastedbaby
Banned

Tarr wrote:
boggers wrote:

Thanks tarr!

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#12 2018-09-23 20:50:26

Turnipseed

Milk should be the new food source(you get alot of food for one corn), but the problem is alot of people dont know how to do it right, and dont prioritize buckets

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#13 2018-09-23 23:05:04

UnnoticedShadow

If people don't know how to properly take care of them, cow-ruption occurs.

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-09-23 23:11:32)

Board footer