One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-12 18:34:35

Mandymom

How to guide: domesicating animals

One of the first animals you should domesticate are sheep. That way, you can get compost. Kill a mouflon (with a bow and arrow) that has a lamb. You'll need an established berry and carrot farm to be able to feed the resulting lamb. But wild berries or carrots can be used in a pinch. A wheat farm is recommended as well, since you can use it for compost. Wild wheat works too. Make sure you have a rope and a bowl of mashed carrots and berries handy before doing so. Have a pen too (make sure it's 4x4, recommended is 8x8 or bigger), the easiest way to make one is out of oven bases. But you can make it out of stone blocks, fences, boxes, and even rose bushes.  Anyway, once the lamb is hungry, feed it. It'll grow up into a domesticated moulfon. When it has a lamb of it's own, it'll be a domesticated lamb, which grows into a sheep. It can now be sheared for wool. Make shears with two steel blades and a smithing hammer. The sheep will produce more babies, which can be fed for more sheep. Lambs will produce dung when fed, that can be picked up with a shovel, which can be combined with wet compost to make composting compost, which will eventually become composted soil. Never pick up dung if wet compost isn't ready-it'll wear out the shovel faster to pick it up again. Now you have a self-sustaining system! Compost is made with straw and mashed berries. Straw is gotten by using a curved or straight branch on threshed wheat. Add water to make wet compost and you're good to put on dung and start composting. Never, ever, put anything in the sheep pen besides sheep or moulfon. Don't ever shear the last sheep. Be sure to keep the domesticated moulfon around as a free source of lambs. Try to balance out how much dung you have: too little isn't good, but too much isn't good either. Have a designated shepherd to manage your sheep. They'll make all the important decisions.

The next animal to to domesticate are cows. This can also be the last one, as the rest aren't as useful. Make sure you have an established corn farm. Kill a bison with a calf and feed the calf a bowl of corn. It'll grow into a domesticated bison, which will give birth to a domesticated calf. Feed it and you'll have a cow. Feed the cow so it produces a calf. Milk cows can be milked with a bucket. Give it water so it keeps giving milk. Milk can be used to make butter or to make a base for paint. The milk will become separated milk if left to sit for 40 seconds. Use a bowl to get cream. A bucket of skim milk will be left behind, which can be collected with a bowl and drunk for food. It can also be made into paint using a bowl of slaked lime.  Whole milk can also be used for paint. Use a skewer on cream to make butter. Spread it onto sliced bread using a knife to make buttered bread. Pigment can be gotten from Lapis Lazuli, cinnabar, and mango infused cow urine. The first two are naturally occurring, but the third requires you to feed a mango leaf to a cow. It'll become poisoned and it's urine can be collected with bowls, for 3 bowls of mango infused cow urine. It'll die soon after. Process all of these ingredients further to make pigment. Then add it to the paint to make colored paint.

The following animals are all optional additions:

The next animal to domesticate should be geese. Collect goose eggs from wild geese and put the egg into dung to incubate it. It will result in a gosling. You'll need an established corn farm to feed the gosling. Feed it corn kernels and it'll grow into an adult goose. Geese do not need to be contained, but it's recommended you keep them in one spot for easier access. Dung can be reused for other purposes, or for getting more geese.

Domesticate pigs next. Find a boar with a piglet, be careful not to harm yourself, and kill the boar. Put the wild piglet in a basket to bring home with you. Feed it a bowl of corn so it can grow up. It'll become a domesticated boar, which can still hurt you. It'll give birth to a domestic piglet, which when fed will grow into a domestic pig.

The last animal to domesticate are dogs. Feed a wolf with mutton to make a pregnant semi tame wolf. Be careful not to get hurt by it! It'll give birth to two dog puppies and one wolf puppy. Feed the puppies carnitas so they can grow up into adult dogs. Dogs can defend against bears. They will grow old and die, so make sure you feed their puppies so you can have an endless supply of dogs.

Last edited by Mandymom (2019-01-14 19:29:23)

#2 2019-01-12 18:49:53

wbeco

Re: How to guide: domesicating animals

Pigs and dogs are useless. The second animal u should domesticate are cows, they definitely shouldn't be last. Best food source ingame.

#3 2019-01-12 19:14:53

CrazyEddie

Great guide! I would add the following:

Whatever other animals you raise, for gods sake do it someplace other than the sheep pen. Go make your own pen if you want cows and geese.

The sheep pen is probably undersized and overcrowded already, because most of them are. Putting anything in the pen that isn't a sheep (even tools!) is a crime.

When someone puts a goose egg in a pen I'm maintaining, I shovel that piece of poop out into a compost pile immediately. And if the egg has already hatched, I pick up the goose and carry it to a small biome far away, where it won't wander around the town and won't crowd the pen. If the goosemaker cares that much they can go fetch their own goose from wherever I put it.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-01-12 19:15:12)

#4 2019-01-12 19:52:06

pein

you can get wild carrot if you don't have normal ones, this is 5 minutes faster sometimes
also wild berries from bushes with a cart of 4 bowls, and wild wheat to make compost. this in total can be 20 min earlier compost

don't kill domestic mouflon, it produces lambs, which shouldn't annoy you if you don't work with it
if you do, someone can shear last sheep and you don't get a dung for feeding the sheep, then you need to wait the next lamb, sometimes this totally kills a village as kids always shear the sheep and there will be no dung, but even best case scenario you waste a sheep food then you need to wait the next lamb, feed it

also its much faster to feed a bunch of lambs produced from a bunch of sheep, shearing every single second sheep slows down the process and denies others to make aprons or hats, i sene a guy do this and he wasted my fleece, wasted my time and ignored my request over and over, that's stab worthy

also the simple rule is who feeds the sheep, gets the fleece, or gets to decide what happens with it
i see people playing doctor, it would be poilite to let me do my apron if i built the pen or made most tools to get yarn balls, but this is quite annoying that they try to blame you for denying pads.
pads are not a priority, if you want pads, don't be lazy to put together sheep food and feed the sheep

there is still a lot of work to clean up threshed wheat, bones, meat and all, but this is bare minimum, feed the sheep then take the fleece, don't just go in shearing all sheep, sometimes you waste 30 min of work and that is surely a stab worthy act

biggest error i see is double moving poop which is destroying shovel even faster, also that people waste the straw, make basket, adobe or compost, make the berry bowl with carrot before making a straw, if cant use the poop on shovel swap for other item then it stays on shovel and wont break it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-01-12 20:31:37

CrazyEddie

I'd like to restate and repeat a few of pein's points, because they deserve being hammered home into every newbie's brains and should be included in any guide about domesticating sheep and/or making compost:

1. Don't shear the last sheep. That stops lamb production, which stops dung production, which stops compost production, which kills towns. If the last sheep gets sheared, feeding it will restore the wool and rescue the compost cycle, but doing this wastes resources and - more importantly - it costs time. It's much better to not shear the last sheep in the first place.

2. Don't kill the domestic mouflon. Leaving it alive is cheap insurance against someone accidentally shearing the last sheep.

3. Don't move dung out of the pen. Leave it in the pen until you have a wet compost pile ready to receive it, then take it directly from the pen to the compost pile. Picking it up and putting it on the ground outside the pen doubles the shovel use, which makes the shovel break twice as quickly.

4. Don't thresh the wheat and place the straw for compost until after you have a bowl of mashed berries and carrot ready to place on the straw. Straw decays after being separated from the threshed wheat. If you get delayed, you may end up wasting the straw before you have a chance to turn it into compost. Straw is very valuable; it makes baskets, adobe, and compost. Don't let it get wasted.

I'd also add a few more:

5. Keep some dung on hand in the pen, but not too much. Check to see if there is dung in the pen before you start a compost pile, and if not, make a bowl of lamb food and feed a lamb first. If the pen has a lot of dung already, don't feed any more lambs until it gets used up making compost. Too little dung means you'll waste time waiting to make it; too much means the pen gets overcrowded.

6. Consider keeping more than just one sheep unshorn, but not too many. Having multiple unshorn sheep (plus the mouflon) means lambs get made faster, which means less waiting to make dung. But too many means the pen gets overcrowded.

7. When in doubt, let the shepherd decide how many sheep to keep unshorn and how much dung to keep in the pen. The shepherd is the one doing the work to shear, kill, and butcher the sheep and to keep the pen cleared of fleece, sheep, mutton, and bones. Let him decide when the pen is about to get too crowded to work.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-01-12 21:22:51)

Board footer