One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-07 16:18:25

futurebird

How to be useful in a big city when you are a new player?

In the mega cities it can seem like you are not needed you can eat and do nothing for most of your life and the city hardly flinches. But, the truth is you are needed even if there is tons of food. When you are born in a big city the first thing you want to do is check on the compost cycle. Here is how you can do that while getting some work done and then find your niche and make the city better!

Start in the berry patch, your mom should take you to it ideally. How do the bushes look? Are they green? (Watch out for towns where the bushes are green but most have only one or two berries, this is a hidden problem that people can miss) Is there soil and water? The best way to find this out is to first put soil on as many bushes as you can and then water them. Next take a bowl and fill it with berries, empty any bushes with just one berry so that people notice that they need attention. Next find the carrots. If there are no carrots it's kind of an emergency! You can save the town by growing some. If you find ample carrots make your berry and carrot bowl and head over to the sheep.

Don't automatically feed the sheep, though. How many are there? Do they have wool? Is the pen full of bones and meat? Are there geese clogging up the pen (you can remove geese from small pens, they are easy to catch and pens need space.)

If there are fewer than 3 sheep feed a baby, if there are 4 or more take your bowl and mash it to make compost. At this point you will need to find the wheat. Hopefully there is some.

gRPSq5x.jpg

Just like carrots no wheat is an emergency! So, that is another important task you can do.

Next go to the bakery. If the pen was full of meat, bring a basket. Is the bakery filled with items that have nothing to do with pies? Is there flour and a bucket with water? A job that makes a town hum is simply supplying and tidying the bakery. It's kind of neat if you do this someone else will probably start baking without even being asked.

If at this point you still have little or no clothing it's time to consider trapping as a job. Look for any rabbit traps and take at least two to the nearest yellow biome. Make yourself a pack first then you can make items for other people. Some of the time you can meet the trapper when they come back and help them unload the cart and they will help you get dressed. If they are old they might even give you the cart and let you take over their job.

Now if all of this is going smoothly it's time to think about building and planting trees. Look for a person who is building and ask why supplies they need. If no one is building start thinking about what you might build.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-07 16:20:59)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-04-07 22:43:27

Jojigirl

Re: How to be useful in a big city when you are a new player?

I'm not new by any means, but one of my last lives today, I ran off a bit southeast to a fresh green biome with plenty of soil by quite a few duck ponds. I took a cart, a bowl, a bucket, basket and sharp stone..  I made 3 more baskets and I proceeded to lay out a 12x6 garden plot. I then gathered many skewers to till the rows. I made an extra plot at the top of to get seeds from.. Then the search began for one single fruiting milkweed.  I gathered the seed and planted it in the top plot and waited.. As soon as it was grown and fruiting I picked it and proceeded to fill the rest of the plots with milkweed seeds!  I was able to get a little less than half watered, before I was getting too old. I ran into a rabbit hunter near by and brought him to my creation! He was in awe with the abundance of milkweed planted. He assured me he would let the others know. However, it wasn't too far off that it couldn't be stumbled upon easily. 

There were 72 plots for a total of 18 rope.  I was able to run back home to take my clothes back to the village. I wish I had snapped a photo, it was absolutely lovely!  Hopefully, they replant what they take to keep the milkweed farm going.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-04-07 22:44:00)

#3 2019-04-08 13:18:24

Chimera

Re: How to be useful in a big city when you are a new player?

Is that CC-City with the Opal family?

Board footer