One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 15:01:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fair warning to anyone working on tech tree websites

Not sure if anyone is currently pursuing this anymore, but there were a few "known tech tree" websites in the works a few weeks ago.

I'm currently THINKING about making my own web-based tech-tree browser for the main website that will be auto-updated whenever the content is updated.  I'm not 100% sure that I will do it, but I feel like it would just make the whole process smoother (instead of you folks scrambling to get the latest update int your third-party websites every time).

So, if you're still working on this kind of thing, please check in with me before you sink a ton of time into it.

Also, I imagine there will be room for more that one service like this.  Mine will be pretty basic, with no pictures or anything, and probably no snazzy javascript, etc.  So I can imagine a third party one doing it better.... AND automatically updating, etc.

The reason I'm thinking about doing this is because of my experience with Sleep Is Death.  There were several amazing third-party services for sharing story flip books and resource packs.  The SID community relied on them.  Since they were there, I never implemented my own service for sharing flip books or resource packs on the web.

One by one, over the years, those services vanished.  All that content is lost, even though SID lives on.  Lesson learned.

#2 2017-07-19 19:11:15

Vescator

Re: Fair warning to anyone working on tech tree websites

I want to make my website auto-update but it looked complicated. It is also a problem of not having enough time.
I think it is important to have a website which you are sure will be on. I think that the website is important to the game.
What you could also do is make an api for your game. This will make it easier to make a website.

The api would support these requests.
-list of recipes
-list of objects
-picture of object
-gif of animation

Board footer