One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-07 17:49:19

OdinCockeril

Eve Update!!

Hey everyone,

I have another great idea for the game.

Myself and I'm sure many other players enjoy starting a settlement from scratch. In fact, I'm certain that it's the reason many people purchase this game in the first place, and likely the reason the drop-off rate is so high (mentioned in a previous forum post by Jason).

Whilst this may not stick exactly to the 'secret formula' of OHOL, I would love if players had the option to spawn as an eve, or eve twins etc. I think it's a shame that many players don't get to enjoy this, or when they do for the first time, as they aren't used to it they die quickly and never get to try it again as their fitness level tanks. I think this would create a lot more competition, diversity and history within the world. IE, right now it's basically impossible for settlements to form alliances, enemies, or varied trading relationships with other settlements due to the low number of settlements out there.

I also believe it would reduce griefing. Whilst I'm not a griefer myself, I am guilty of being a "serial runaway", often spawning, grabbing some pies and running to set my own base up with my IRL gf. We have so much fun doing this and only do it because we rarely get chosen to be an eve (I'm currently hanging on between 51-55 genetic fitness, usually in top 10-30). If griefers get exiled from multiple villages, they should have no choice but to spawn as an eve - but the idea I'm presenting ensures that this isn't a "shortcut" to becoming an eve, like /die used to be, instead there's an option to become an eve, OR you are force to become an eve (if you're a hardcore griefer).

Another core reason why I think this is important is because it allows great content to be uploaded and shared online. This is the content people want to watch, this is the content that creates a competitive atmosphere within the community (who can create the most advanced settlement in only one hour?).

Let me know what you think, personally this would mean more to me than any other update and I think it would drastically improve player experience, player retention and even publicity.

Haven't said my last words yet

#2 2020-10-07 18:51:19

Spoonwood

Re: Eve Update!!

Lack of an Eve button is a longstanding problem with the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-10-07 18:57:04

Gogo
Banned

Wars / wiping out whole family = more Eves.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-10-07 18:59:52)

#4 2020-10-07 19:56:57

Dodge

If everyone is an Eve then there's no more sons or daughters of Eve tongue

Especially with such a low player count adding an option to be eve would mean villages would die even faster, imagine setting a camp and no one gets born to you. Very disapointed, even worse experience for new players.

What would be much more interesting imo would be to remove the homeland update so making outposts or fresh villages from scratch would actually be possible as right it's not since you would get homesickness and get no babies

A bunch of dead settlements doesn't create trade.

As for player retention, new players already struggle when they are born in an advanced village and fully clothed so i really doubt spawning as Eve and dying multiple times would really make them play the game more.

It's not a competitive game where players race against each other to build the most advanced village in one hour, that sounds like some type of gamemode separate from the main server.

Being able to make settlements again would give the Eve experience for those who want to without creating a bunch of dead village and expanding the spawn radius until the closest living village is 3k away.

But Jason has it for a reason and until he figures out another way he wont remove it.

#5 2020-10-07 20:05:32

Arcurus

OdinCockeril wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have another great idea for the game.

Myself and I'm sure many other players enjoy starting a settlement from scratch.

yea, there where many complaints that migration is broken with the iron, homeland and food nerf....

Jasons response was to "borrow" an engine to get the iron for your new settlement...

Good luck!

#6 2020-10-07 20:52:34

Gogo
Banned

Perfect goods for exchange would be your own kids. 2 kids for one engine, good enough.

#7 2020-10-07 22:11:12

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:

Jasons response was to "borrow" an engine to get the iron for your new settlement...

Is it really borrowing if you have no intention of ever bringing the engine back?

More importantly, do you really get the same experience of building from scratch, if you have a stolen engine sitting in the middle of your Eve camp?

#8 2020-10-07 23:19:19

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

If everyone is an Eve then there's no more sons or daughters of Eve

The game could have bots.  In which case, Eves could have children without more players.  Also, not everyone will choose to be Eve.

But, you might be correct that new players more often in early camps might not suit them as well as getting born into more developed areas.

He has homelands, because he wanted racial segregation/didn't want racial integration.  No, that's not a joke, nor an exaggeration.  I think homelands have a point in their favor in that they enable some fertility control.  But, they are bad in that they don't enable enough fertility control, since they don't enable one to choose to have the opportunity to have children outside of one's homelands.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-07 23:24:31)

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-10-11 20:53:02

OdinCockeril

Gogo wrote:

I love the concept of a war, but it's unrealistic to expect it to happen much in this game. Within 1 hour it's hard to:

A) have a reason to go to war
B) get people on board
C) Have a big enough possy
D) get the gear for a war
E) travel to the enemy
F) kill enemies
G) bring loot home

again. Love the idea but there's 101 more "wipe mechanics" that would make more sense.

#10 2020-10-12 01:25:51

Coconut Fruit

If we had more eves, families would die out really quickly due to lack of players.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#11 2020-10-12 03:14:18

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

If we had more eves, families would die out really quickly due to lack of players.

There once existed Eve chaining on all servers no matter the population.  Towns get resettled, sometimes by necessity, as the black Tear family basically had to do recently: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6667806, because they had no iron from the spot they chose to put their well site.

Also, if families could restart by one of the family members becoming an Eve or if you prefer a "founder" after the family had died out, then families having a pause period wouldn't be an issue.  And after all, people know their own self.

Additionally, there is no rule against bots.  https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8136  By preserving lineages they also would NOT be disrupting the game, but rather playing for lineage survival, and enabling more progress and town development.  Or posing more challenges for human players. 

So, a low number of human players due to more Eves, in principle, doesn't pose a problem.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-12 03:16:45)

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-10-12 12:39:19

Gogo
Banned

OdinCockeril wrote:
Gogo wrote:

I love the concept of a war, but it's unrealistic to expect it to happen much in this game. Within 1 hour it's hard to:

B) get people on board
E) travel to the enemy
F) kill enemies
G) bring loot home

again. Love the idea but there's 101 more "wipe mechanics" that would make more sense.

A) fight for resources, instead of 'trading' for them. people are hostile against outsiders anyways
B) no problem, recently I had 4 ppl with me on 'journey for war'.
C) posse should be removed
D) that's the best part! rn old families have unnatural need to satisfy their constant hunger. peope should instead make extra foods for army
E) that should be fixed. I was leader, had info about war, I though it was between us and some other fam. but there were 2 families with same last name.. game need command /peace /war, so you can know with whom you have peace/war
F) smile
G) yeah

#13 2020-10-12 17:36:59

OdinCockeril

Gogo wrote:
OdinCockeril wrote:
Gogo wrote:

B) get people on board
E) travel to the enemy
F) kill enemies
G) bring loot home

A) fight for resources, instead of 'trading' for them. people are hostile against outsiders anyways
B) no problem, recently I had 4 ppl with me on 'journey for war'.
C) posse should be removed
D) that's the best part! rn old families have unnatural need to satisfy their constant hunger. peope should instead make extra foods for army
E) that should be fixed. I was leader, had info about war, I though it was between us and some other fam. but there were 2 families with same last name.. game need command /peace /war, so you can know with whom you have peace/war
F) smile
G) yeah

Yeah I love the idea, but again I think the issue is arranging all of this within such a short timespan. Especially when you take away the childhood/elderly phases.

Board footer