One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-11 16:18:04

OdinCockeril

Idea

Can we please have servers that require X genetic score to enter. e.g. 20+ 30+ 40+ 50+ 55+

I find it really irritating when I get to 55+ then spawn with loads of people who are sat afk, or griefing and then my score tanks.. I think people who don't care should be in one server, and "try-hards" should be able to enter a higher tier server.

What are your thoughts?

Haven't said my last words yet

#2 2020-10-11 16:40:57

QuirkySmirkyIan

Re: Idea

OdinCockeril wrote:

Can we please have servers that require X genetic score to enter. e.g. 20+ 30+ 40+ 50+ 55+

I find it really irritating when I get to 55+ then spawn with loads of people who are sat afk, or griefing and then my score tanks.. I think people who don't care should be in one server, and "try-hards" should be able to enter a higher tier server.

What are your thoughts?

You would like to play a multiplayer game where only 2 people are eligible to play with you? :thinking:

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#3 2020-10-11 18:07:49

OdinCockeril

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
OdinCockeril wrote:

What are your thoughts?

You would like to play a multiplayer game where only 2 people are eligible to play with you? :thinking:

Can you read?
"e.g. 20+ 30+ 40+ 50+ 55+"

#4 2020-10-11 20:32:26

QuirkySmirkyIan

OdinCockeril wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
OdinCockeril wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Can you read?

Oh okay I think I get it now, you can crossplay. But how are new players supposed to learn if people aren't teaching them. Chances are pros would go on the high servers to keep gene score.

#5 2020-10-11 20:49:29

OdinCockeril

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
OdinCockeril wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

Can you read?

Oh okay I think I get it now, you can crossplay. But how are new players supposed to learn if people aren't teaching them. Chances are pros would go on the high servers to keep gene score.

A) I doubt all high tier people would go to these servers, but the option should definitely be there.
B) There will still be players to teach them
C) Nobody taught me how to play the game and it was perfectly fine for me. Learning a game is the responsibility of the player and the development team for providing the correct resources, not that of the community.

#6 2020-10-11 22:08:07

QuirkySmirkyIan

OdinCockeril wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
OdinCockeril wrote:

Can you read?

A) I doubt all high tier people would go to these servers, but the option should definitely be there.
B) There will still be players to teach them
C) Nobody taught me how to play the game and it was perfectly fine for me. Learning a game is the responsibility of the player and the development team for providing the correct resources, not that of the community.

Would you like if the game had 30 or 40 players on all servers? Some people are not highly intelligent and therefore it is harder for them to learn the game. I think people should have people to learn and improve from and not everyone can figure out obscure game mechanics on there own, heck I don't even know what everything means in the temperature mechanic and I have 400 hours.

#7 2020-10-12 00:16:35

Spoonwood

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

Would you like if the game had 30 or 40 players on all servers? Some people are not highly intelligent and therefore it is harder for them to learn the game. I think people should have people to learn and improve from and not everyone can figure out obscure game mechanics on there own, heck I don't even know what everything means in the temperature mechanic and I have 400 hours.

So, 30-40 people on all 16 servers would be 480 to 540 people.  Jason has gone with the near maximum number of people idea for a while now.  But, he didn't initially do that.  So, I believe that as much as he wants interpersonal interaction maximized, he'd rather have 480 to 540 consistently playing.  And by consistently, I don't mean for a weekend, but for a few months.

Thing is though, what would be the change in player count by splitting players not checking a custom server on the basis of gene score or some other mechanic?  From what I've seen You Are Hope has more players consistently with a much more split system for players.  But, that game also has an in-game visual crafting guide (I'm confident such would improve player retention), has a more extensive tutorial, and also requires a mobile phone instead of a (windows or mod assisted) PC to play.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-10-12 00:28:52

Spoonwood

OdinCockeril wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Why do you care about gene score?

Personally speaking, it feels a bit strange to have like 10+ maximum pips at the end of a life, but when I first played everyone had 4 pips maximum at 59, no matter what they did.  I'm not saying that having that many pips is bad for players or for me, but personally I don't have an interest in trying to maximize gene score for that reason.  Do you want to have a high gene score for having those extra pips at the end of life?

Gene score also affects leadership potential.  Do you want to be a leader?  Do you know who to listen to?  Can you handle all of the stations, farming, cooking, basic cooking and more advanced foods, basic blacksmithing, and also making an engine and oil rig?  Can you effectively get or give resources needed to make rubber also?  How are you on handling destructive players?  And how are you on town design overall?  How are you on teaching new players?  There's a lot to having the know how to be an effective leader in OHOL.  If you want to be a leader, you're going to have follow first, at least in some respects, and know who to listen to and when.

Gene score also affects Eve potential.  Do you want to play as Eve?  Have you scouted for appropriate spots with the current iron system?  Although it's by no means ideal, how are you at blacksmithing while raising babies?  Also, what if you play during a server restart and have like 15 children as Eve?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-10-12 01:23:20

Coconut Fruit

OdinCockeril wrote:

We don't have enough people for things like this. http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2020-10-12 17:41:55

OdinCockeril

Spoonwood wrote:
OdinCockeril wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Why do you care about gene score?

Personally speaking, it feels a bit strange to have like 10+ maximum pips at the end of a life, but when I first played everyone had 4 pips maximum at 59, no matter what they did.  I'm not saying that having that many pips is bad for players or for me, but personally I don't have an interest in trying to maximize gene score for that reason.  Do you want to have a high gene score for having those extra pips at the end of life?

Gene score also affects leadership potential.  Do you want to be a leader?  Do you know who to listen to?  Can you handle all of the stations, farming, cooking, basic cooking and more advanced foods, basic blacksmithing, and also making an engine and oil rig?  Can you effectively get or give resources needed to make rubber also?  How are you on handling destructive players?  And how are you on town design overall?  How are you on teaching new players?  There's a lot to having the know how to be an effective leader in OHOL.  If you want to be a leader, you're going to have follow first, at least in some respects, and know who to listen to and when.

Gene score also affects Eve potential.  Do you want to play as Eve?  Have you scouted for appropriate spots with the current iron system?  Although it's by no means ideal, how are you at blacksmithing while raising babies?  Also, what if you play during a server restart and have like 15 children as Eve?

I can do all of the above. My main reason for saying this though is nothing to do with that, it's because genetic fitness is the only long-term progression mechanic, and for me as much as I love the game, I need a sense of progression to make my long hours of playing the game feel worthwhile.

#11 2020-10-12 18:48:59

Arcurus

OdinCockeril wrote:

What are your thoughts?

maybe make advanced families where you need a certain score...

or better, higher score kids are born to higher score players and the other way round.

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-10-12 18:50:55)

#12 2020-10-12 19:23:38

Dodge

The genetic score is another one of Jason's attempt to force players to act in a certain way (caring about offsprings and family) instead of them caring for actual real reasons (survival of the species, keep the lineage going etc).

If the human race went extinct it would be "game over" for us that's one of our subcounscious drive for reproduction, taking care of offsprings etc. It should be the same in game.

Having a competitive element to a game that isn't competition oriented like ohol is still interesting imo but if that's the case it should depend on what you can individually do and not involve other players otherwise the best way to farm score is to make a prison and force feed your offspring which is backwards.

Hopefully the game will become better to the point where this system can get a rework and drop the current way it's made because it wouldn't be needed anymore.

#13 2020-10-12 21:27:12

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

The genetic score is another one of Jason's attempt to force players to act in a certain way (caring about offsprings and family) instead of them caring for actual real reasons (survival of the species, keep the lineage going etc).

I don't think the term 'force' here appropriate, because I'm not aware of severe penalties for deliberately tanking one's genetic score.  It start at 0 now for new players, so for any that make it to 60 their first life, they have as many pips as we did back before genetic score existed.  One should be a follower before being a leader, and that responsibility should get earned, shouldn't it?  Also, I don't think that not being an Eve one's first game is a penalization, since I think new players can still get born into an Eve camp, and have a solo challenge also.

You might be right about it's artificiality though.

Dodge wrote:

If the human race went extinct it would be "game over" for us that's one of our subcounscious drive for reproduction, taking care of offsprings etc. It should be the same in game.

So what?  If your family dies out, you wouldn't be able to play again on that account?  He certainly advertises the contrary of something like that on the website, and plenty of people would be unhappy with that sort of idea, even if he went with it.  This isn't an arcade game, is it?

Danish Clinch.

Board footer