One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-07 23:17:30

FlRugbyChick

We need a code letter!

I have had plenty of moms leave me to die. Even after I said I was good. We need a code letter. I  suggest Q. If Q is the first letter your baby says, you know they are active on the forums and know what they are doing. We can even change the letter each week to make sure whoever uses it is checks the forum. What do yall think?

#2 2018-04-07 23:21:53

quaity

Re: We need a code letter!

What does going on the forums have to do with being a productive player? Lol

#3 2018-04-07 23:22:50

Alleria

FlRugbyChick wrote:

I have had plenty of moms leave me to die. Even after I said I was good. We need a code letter. I  suggest Q. If Q is the first letter your baby says, you know they are active on the forums and know what they are doing. We can even change the letter each week to make sure whoever uses it is checks the forum. What do yall think?

Yes!!! I  used to use "x" but it fell out of disuse weeks ago. Sometimes an unexperienced player is currently untenable, and will have a negative play experience - so it's useful for us as mums to know if they should be post-birth aborted or not.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#4 2018-04-07 23:30:55

veene

I like this idea xP

#5 2018-04-07 23:55:41

FlRugbyChick

quaity wrote:

What does going on the forums have to do with being a productive player? Lol

My thinking is that if they take the time to read the forum,  they are more likely to be a useful  player.

#6 2018-04-08 01:12:51

TrustyWay

So shall Q be the code letter for trustworthy people

#7 2018-04-08 01:28:34

Alleria

TrustyWay wrote:

Oh no! Trusty knows the code!!! Now we'll never know if it's someone who's trustworthy or if it's Trustyway who's probably going to murder us all.

#8 2018-04-08 08:57:58

TrustyWay

Alleria wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

Oh no! Trusty knows the code!!! Now we'll never know if it's someone who's trustworthy or if it's Trustyway who's probably going to murder us all.

Hukhukhuk *boar sounds*

#9 2018-04-08 11:13:30

Joriom
Website

Welp, we used "Z" as the letter for a long time on server 11. Those are orygins of terms like "z-check" (when we say "z-check" on discord, everyone types "Z", whoever does not - dies) and "Z-crew" (only allowing kids starting with Z, crew of people using Z as decal). Back in those days kid saying "F" meant "Fuck this kid" for us. Rofl.

I started the idea of using X on official servers for people who are reborn in place that they know. This way we were able to bring elders back to life to continue what they started. I though it didn't stick but must have for a while if you've seen it.

I'm down to use Q as decal for forum users, but... I don't think many will recognize that. If you see kid using it - tell others around what does it mean so they can recognize it as well. After to many people learn about it it won't be used for forums users only but for every oportunist... which is still good - it means those already adapted to new lifestyle.

#10 2018-04-08 12:17:45

Ka

I like the idea, and we would definitely have to change the code letter each week. A good time for that would be after each content update, or maybe after a day or so to make it more likely that who uses it also knows about the hidden mechanics (like worms not being renewable).

#11 2018-04-09 04:59:00

Kitaelia

Yeah I like the idea of a changing code letter for people who use forums/discord. I don't mind birthing new players, but it's nice to know if I need to spend a little extra time to teach them. smile I usually waste so much time making sure they know the ropes, only to find out later that they already knew most everything I a few years explaining. xD

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#12 2018-04-09 15:03:01

pein

well changing every day would be too much but changing weekly or monthly is fine
reborn code can be unique too, like giving to young girls then triing to reborn there

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-05-01 15:54:08

pein

time for a change
i seen nowadays too often, they understand but then i see the camp and makes me suicide

we should also set some base rules, and important knowledge they should know about. they need to be able to follow the new meta

i would really like to see if you type Q then:
-dont suicide after i raise you up
-dont kill me for no reason
-dont grief the villagers
-dont overpopulate the city

also we should do some meeting kind of stuff, check timer, tell your kids, meeting in 15 min, dont die, as mom you shold guide the process, check what the city needs, like milkweed, send out scouts, kill sheep, feed lambs, berry bowls, plant wheet, etc.
give task for everyone
give a single piece of clothing if you wanna keep a kid, tell him to give back later if can make on his own
forum users/reddit users should not be assholes to each other, and be more organized in a way that his meetings would become a thing, to see population, to give tasks again, people could line up tell what their plan is, and someone to assign new tasks

you farming rabbits when no milkweed?
jump on compost making, make milkweed farm
15 min talking 2 minutes its not so big time loss

also cities should have a food storage room, and all home markers next to it, if you are a mother, make your marker as soon as possible, then all kids see the marker
that why someone should get all skewers in basket and keep in an easy to recognize position with a stone in a basket
also easier when eve stumbles upon, can cut all of them

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-05-01 16:07:10

Alleria

Why would you start composting if there's not enough milkweed? It's very unlikely you're going to have the sheep necessary to compost. If I need a job done, I'll run around broadcasting what the necessary jobs. Hopefully someone steps up and helps out.

#15 2018-05-01 16:09:07

mulgara

Some of the worst babies I've kept were Q babies. I've had toxic players who yell racial slurs at people when they do something incorrectly and mass murderers.

On the other hand, I've had some really great experiences with new players who genuinely want to learn and contribute. I'd rather spend 5 minutes going over basics with someone and encouraging them to continue to foster a good community.

#16 2018-05-01 16:46:22

Eve-rlastingGamer

Positives of having a code letter:
     1.  It helps identify who may or may not require extra guidance.
     2.  It allows other players to inform new (or ignorant) players of the forums.
     3.  It creates a tight community when the majority of residents are 'Q' players.
     4.  It allows 'Q' babies to know if their mother might need a little extra help creating a home.

Negatives of having a code letter:
     1.  Grifers can and will take advantage of this.  It's what they do, expecting otherwise is naïve.
     2.  Puts undue confidence in a players skill.  Just because they read the forums doesn't mean they know what they're doing.
     3.  Separates non 'Q' players from 'Q' players, potentially causing strife in long standing civilizations.
     4.  'Q' players may (potentially at least) begin treating non-Q players poorly.

What we actually need to do is to inform all non-Q players that they will benefit by reading the forums.  The knowledge they could find here will help them build the confidence necessary to contribute to their civilizations.  Encourage them to give it a glance.  Tell them about the Connections thread where they can write their stories and read the previous lives of others.  Ask them if they've seen the latest memes.

When people think forums, the first image that pops up is an inner community.  They should not only be welcome here, but also accepted.  Now, we don't need to go completely out of our way.  Just a quick sentence every so often should be enough.  Even just "This will make a funny meme on forums." might work.  Maybe not, but it's at least worth the effort.

#17 2018-05-01 18:36:22

Pronghorn

Eve-rlastingGamer wrote:

What we actually need to do is to inform all non-Q players that they will benefit by reading the forums.  The knowledge they could find here will help them build the confidence necessary to contribute to their civilizations.  Encourage them to give it a glance.

This is good.
Only for some it may break the forth wall so to speak lol
But this is such a good idea I think I will start doing this if I give birth
to a new player or am born from one.

Please be kind.

#18 2018-05-01 21:16:14

pein

Alleria wrote:

Why would you start composting if there's not enough milkweed? It's very unlikely you're going to have the sheep necessary to compost. If I need a job done, I'll run around broadcasting what the necessary jobs. Hopefully someone steps up and helps out.

im talking about big cities

they all like, im gonna farm, im gonna hunt, im gonna bake

today i was back in griefed town, somebody took all fence rails and carved them with a sharp stone

what did players do? overfarmed carrots, but nobody picked row by row, was no place to put down, no baskets, eventually we had 30 babies, they ate all berries, the single good thign was wells were full but tools were missing, and to make a fire you needed to go with a horse, they still made pies, they couldnt bake

in the meantime pen was full, lots of horses in desert

so composting, making more berry, cutting the wheat for basket, composting more, half half
i guess it died out even faster than before

you can have sheep for compost faster than anyone gets a cart of threads i guarantee you
making carrot rabbit pie is so bad when you cant use the furs up and you can already make muflon pies

we even had a horse on fence, but no fence rail anywhere else, they still didnt get one, had to  take all muflon meat one b one, i cut 3 sheeps and had nothign to fed with, i was an eves 2nd grandkid, in a town with 40+ bushes, thats a very bad town restart

#19 2018-05-01 22:29:23

YAHG

Alleria wrote:

Composting is sheep, doesn't need milkweed. Woven clothes also reduced pressure on your string, so there ends up for fore backpacks etc.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#20 2018-05-02 04:06:28

Dishehs

It's a silly system, anyone can get the code letter so easily. You don't even need an account, just quickly glance at threads line this and your in. Why is this community full of so many elitist snobs.

#21 2018-05-02 09:23:15

Mr.XIX

Dishehs wrote:

It's a silly system, anyone can get the code letter so easily. You don't even need an account, just quickly glance at threads line this and your in. Why is this community full of so many elitist snobs.

I disagree with your opinion of "many elitist snobs in this community"
This is a simple way of telling your mother that you didn't just buy the game, spend some time on the forums and that you can be productive without much help from others, without spelling it out character by character (would be quite some work).

If you want to contribute to this discussion, please keep your post limited to saying "I think it doesn't work because you don't need an account and the password is too easy to acquire"

#22 2018-05-02 14:53:12

Dishehs

Mr.XIX wrote:
Dishehs wrote:

I disagree with your opinion of "many elitist snobs in this community"
This is a simple way of telling your mother that you didn't just buy the game, spend some time on the forums and that you can be productive without much help from others, without spelling it out character by character (would be quite some work).

If you want to contribute to this discussion, please keep your post limited to saying "I think it doesn't work because you don't need an account and the password is too easy to acquire"

I disagree with your opinion that people everyone on the forums is "good at the game".

This is exactly what i meant by elitist snobs. Everyone in the Q club thinks they should have priority over everyone else.

I was killed many times by someone asking me for "the password". She was a lone Eve in a large abandoned city, plenty of suppplies yet she killed so many babies.

The last time i was born to her I said Q and she let me live. I was a boy and she became too old to have more kids. Maybe she should have kept some of these kids even if they didn't know your stupid password.

I grew up and killed her, I told her it was to avenge the babies she killed for no reason.

Last edited by Dishehs (2018-05-02 14:53:52)

#23 2018-05-02 15:15:04

pein

Dishehs wrote:

I disagree with your opinion that people everyone on the forums is "good at the game".

This is exactly what i meant by elitist snobs. Everyone in the Q club thinks they should have priority over everyone else.

I was killed many times by someone asking me for "the password". She was a lone Eve in a large abandoned city, plenty of supplies yet she killed so many babies.

The last time i was born to her I said Q and she let me live. I was a boy and she became too old to have more kids. Maybe she should have kept some of these kids even if they didn't know your stupid password.

I grew up and killed her, I told her it was to avenge the babies she killed for no reason.

she kept, but they were too stupid to live

its completely upon her, and you are the asshole, if she would have the choice, could limit kids, before even born, they not babies, they are embryos
you can keep 9 kids and none of them survives even there is food,you just expect someone sacrifice her own life for random kids who have no plan have no experience, probably she knows better the map than you do, shittiest thing you can do to kill someone who spent 4 minutes carry a garbage like you

#24 2018-05-02 15:25:13

Dishehs

pein wrote:
Dishehs wrote:

I was killed many times by someone asking me for "the password". She was a lone Eve in a large abandoned city, plenty of supplies yet she killed so many babies.

she kept, but they were too stupid to live

its completely upon her, and you are the asshole, if she would have the choice, could limit kids, before even born, they not babies, they are embryos
you can keep 9 kids and none of them survives even there is food,you just expect someone sacrifice her own life for random kids who have no plan have no experience, probably she knows better the map than you do, shittiest thing you can do to kill someone who spent 4 minutes carry a garbage like you

But i know your code don't I?. Dosn't that prove that even "garbage like me" use Q

#25 2018-05-02 22:35:48

Mr.XIX

@Dishehs I'm not sure what you are trying to proof here. We already know the 'Q-system' is not fool-proof. Many 'bad' forum players have used Q to trick people into keeping them (looking at you Joriom wink)

I wonder what would happen if we tried to change the code letter. How long would it take for people to get up-to-date?
Will some people still use Q only because they saw other people do that before?

As a last note:

Dishehs wrote:

That is not my opinion. I never said such thing, simply because it is not true.
What I do believe is that there is a positive correlation between time spend on the forums and knowledge about the game.

Board footer