One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-26 11:07:06

Tane

was there a milkweed change?

someone just said they aren't respawning and I haven't been back to a village I've seen before to check the theory out

#2 2018-05-26 11:52:40

MidgetMaker

Re: was there a milkweed change?

they do not respawn anymore.

#3 2018-05-26 11:54:40

Verte

Unfortunately it is true : milkweed no longer regrows.
You have to plant it again each time, pretty much like wheat. Doesn't matter anymore to wait for a fruiting milkweed, if you already have a large supply of seeds.
So now you need to farm milkweed carefully. Pick a fruiting plant, extract many seeds from its debris. Find new soil (composting is very soon necessary). Replant new milkweed after you harvest. Debris will turn into stump after ten (?) minutes, then stump will turn into nothing after another few (?) minutes.

Last edited by Verte (2018-05-26 12:11:19)

#4 2018-05-26 12:37:52

Tane

Does jason think we have too much free time in game or something?
I don't see how you farm milkweed AND farm at the same time. Hell, the soil cost alone makes it hard enough after a couple generations without this. Add into it eves that can't afford the time to set up new plants and new players....
I'll check it out, but it looks like this will be another few weeks without playing it for me.
These updates should be implemented on a separate server, like 2hol with an option to opt in or not, otherwise he's gonna kill the game. There's already been a pretty big decline of new players and old ones dropping off and I'd hate to see this game die before it really takes off

#5 2018-05-26 13:07:25

SaeKato

there need to be 2 people in a city always getting new soil man O_O

#6 2018-05-26 13:28:52

YAHG

He has said that the player count is growing by the way..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#7 2018-05-26 13:35:32

YAHG

Hold god he did the crazy well buff though!! There are now ZERO constraints on farming over time..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#8 2018-05-26 14:24:44

Lotus

Why.. why...

#9 2018-05-26 14:34:52

YAHG

Post in the everything runs out thread seemed to be about less "don't do this" and more "do this"
so less eggshells type gameplay.

Instead of don't pick the milkweed unless it is fruiting it is now make sure to plant more milkweed.
Instead of do some crazy complicated thing with the wells or don't make them they are a waste it
is, maybe we need more wells.

I do think this is going to make threaded clothing pretty rare most notably backpacks. I can see
this being really rough on villages and I can see us needing to have composting sooner.

#10 2018-05-26 14:48:13

Lily

We just need to compost like crazy now. On the bright side, if we are composting like crazy, all day long, we might have extra soil to grow saplings for letters. I have not really seen anyone growing saplings but maybe they will if we got 20 composting piles going at once.

#11 2018-05-26 15:29:29

YAHG

Lily wrote:

We just need to compost like crazy now. On the bright side, if we are composting like crazy, all day long, we might have extra soil to grow saplings for letters. I have not really seen anyone growing saplings but maybe they will if we got 20 composting piles going at once.

True true... The soil math is positive still even if you aren't partial seeding the composters carrot rows to skip out on till use.
4-wheat-skewer-(two net carrots) is still positive even if you divert one per cycle to berry bushes to pump the next compost
cycle faster. Having potentially infinite water out of the new UberWellch makes things a LOT easier smile.

Partial seeded carrot rows, lets say only leave 1 carrot would give you 4 carrots per soil which is enough to run two compost
cycles without the use of ANY tilling equipment as well as providing the carrots for those cycles. This gives us 4-wheat-.5 = 2.5
soil per cycle which could give us two more berry bushes to repeat the process again. If we are theoretically running 2 cycles
of composting we would get 1 spare soil per double batch, assuming we did NOT get any free berry regrowth's on any of our
old bushes each of which is a potential extra spare soil per compost.

All in all this adds up to plenty of soil with no real need for tilling equipment, which in the long run (post iron collapse) costs 1 soil per till...

#12 2018-05-26 17:53:29

Lily

YAHG, if you are going to do that, might as well use worms to till the soil. You would have a lot of harden soil at any given time but can rotate them while waiting for the worms to till the ground. You save a lot of soil in the long run and it doesn't require any iron.

#13 2018-05-26 18:07:45

YAHG

Lily wrote:

YAHG, if you are going to do that, might as well use worms to till the soil. You would have a lot of harden soil at any given time but can rotate them while waiting for the worms to till the ground. You save a lot of soil in the long run and it doesn't require any iron.

Good idea, only limit would be the land area. Assuming you did it out of the main village area you
should have plenty of extra space. That and once they run out of tilling equipment they can't till the
wormy row anyways. Question then becomes can you get enough worms? It would make sense to
be able to get worms from wormy rows but it isn't yet the case. I think you get 3 worms per pit
but I don't know if that is true still or not.

If it is 3, getting a dozen or so worms together shouldn't be abnormal. Each worm giving us 1
soil an hour max wouldn't be a bad little bonus for the tribe.

https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/789-Worm

#14 2018-05-26 19:17:46

Lily

I don't recall exactly but I believe it was 3 or 4 worms per pit. Getting enough worms shouldn't be an issue at all. The only problem with them, is that if someone tills the ground they kill the worms in it. Also if you shovel wormy holes before taking the worms out for that last fertile soil, you also kill them.

#15 2018-05-26 19:53:39

breezeknight

last time i did compost i've got murdered tongue

#16 2018-05-26 20:06:47

YAHG

breezeknight wrote:

You are always getting murdered though so that dont count <3

#17 2018-05-26 20:11:44

breezeknight

YAHG wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

You are always getting murdered though so that dont count <3

humpf tongue

#18 2018-05-26 21:26:33

HydrO

as right now, every 5h+ village has no milkweed, and its need for many things....    1 soil+time+.... for a milkseed is no tradeoff...

#19 2018-05-26 21:38:16

Portager

#20 2018-05-26 22:13:41

Turnipseed

Yeah we really need more ways to make thread...or milkweed needs to provide more thread.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#21 2018-05-27 00:12:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This has not been fully worked out just yet.

There will be some other changes to farming, wells, and soil in the next update.

I'm really trying to move away from "unlimited but fragile supplies of X," because that means there are no more decisions to make, and you just need to make sure everyone is careful and follows the rule.  I've seen the eternal milkweed farms, where you just walk buy and pick whichever plant is fruiting when you walk by.  Nice that some ancient relative set this up for us, but now we're kinda done thinking about milkweed forever.

What I want is more of this:  We have these resources available right now, and where should we commit them?  For example, when do we have enough excess soil and water that we can grow some milkweed on the side?  Even deciding where to spend the milkweed should be an interesting decision (but only if supply is limited).

Berry bushes will likely change too, though I'm somewhat stuck on exactly how they will work.  At least there are still decisions to make in maintaining them, assuming that water becomes more limited again.

#22 2018-05-27 00:27:31

Portager

jasonrohrer wrote:

This has not been fully worked out just yet.

There will be some other changes to farming, wells, and soil in the next update.

I'm really trying to move away from "unlimited but fragile supplies of X," because that means there are no more decisions to make, and you just need to make sure everyone is careful and follows the rule.  I've seen the eternal milkweed farms, where you just walk buy and pick whichever plant is fruiting when you walk by.  Nice that some ancient relative set this up for us, but now we're kinda done thinking about milkweed forever.

What I want is more of this:  We have these resources available right now, and where should we commit them?  For example, when do we have enough excess soil and water that we can grow some milkweed on the side?  Even deciding where to spend the milkweed should be an interesting decision (but only if supply is limited).

Berry bushes will likely change too, though I'm somewhat stuck on exactly how they will work.  At least there are still decisions to make in maintaining them, assuming that water becomes more limited again.

The problem is that all resources are finite (or are going to become so in the future), so there never will be a good time to commit resources, because once they are gone they are gone. I guess this means that we can only live in certain areas for a short period of time, and then move on after resources are exhausted, but our civs will never advance under a system like that. With the number of kids each eve and her offspring have, an area could run out of resources after only the 2nd or 3rd generation. We could practice population control, but by doing so we risk the survival of our lineages because of the ban. All of these nerfs could swirl together and break the game.

I really appreciate all of the recent changes you have made, but if you do plan on making everything finite, please also try to find ways that we can still practice some kind of sustainability or renew our resources through a series of steps....make it as difficult as you need to, but consider the long term play-ability of a world where even the basics like berries are finite...it wouldn't be much fun imo if we had no way to support our villages.

Last edited by Portager (2018-05-27 00:28:30)

#23 2018-05-27 14:29:38

Xuhybrid

YAHG wrote:

He has said that the player count is growing by the way..

Compared to when i was playing, this game has nobody playing.

#24 2018-05-27 15:40:25

fragilityh14

did clothing decay go down? It appeared so the last game I played but may have been a coincidence from when I happened to acquire clothing etc.

If clothing decay is turned down its basically fine

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#25 2018-05-27 17:03:42

Lily

fragilityh14 wrote:

did clothing decay go down? It appeared so the last game I played but may have been a coincidence from when I happened to acquire clothing etc.

If clothing decay is turned down its basically fine

I am not sure if it got changed, or it has been like that. I know he made clothing a lot more durable before. Currently it is like 5 hours before things get the worn out state. Backpacks only last two though.

Board footer