One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-19 21:33:07

Auner

Can we remove locks please?

Honestly it's stupid. It's likely to only get used for a few life times- and then be a waste. Grievers abuse locks.

To keep stuff at bay it's far easier to hide it in the trees.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#2 2018-08-19 22:01:42

Turnipseed

Re: Can we remove locks please?

Only time i see them used is by griefers...

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-08-19 22:08:13

Raliax

I don't think we should, its pretty easy to pick a lock. To get tools back if a griefer hides them, then just kill the griefer.

#4 2018-08-19 22:30:50

I am Pharo

Raliax wrote:

I don't think we should, its pretty easy to pick a lock. To get tools back if a griefer hides them, then just kill the griefer.

Kill griefer FIRST, THEN get tools back,
unless want to spend up thirty years of life dealing with one griefer.

Edited to make the word "griefer" look more like poo.

Last edited by I am Pharo (2018-08-19 22:34:27)

#5 2018-08-19 23:52:57

Neo

I've seen it used legitimately but it's difficult to maintain that. They usually get used to hoard weapons or make a saferoom. Never lasts more then a generation or two before the key gets lost and the door/trunk gets locked for centuries.
I think you should be able to break down doors, make it a multi person job.

But your right, Locks are more grief then good.

Last edited by Neo (2018-08-20 00:06:15)

#6 2018-08-20 14:17:07

thegolfpantsguy

Auner wrote:

Honestly it's stupid. It's likely to only get used for a few life times- and then be a waste. Grievers abuse locks.

To keep stuff at bay it's far easier to hide it in the trees.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOST STUPID ITEM....
GRIEFERS BEST...
WASTE OF IRON...
=REMOVE IT

#7 2018-08-20 18:24:48

pein

generally if you build it you should be able to lock it, code lock would be better, keys are easy to remove as long as you can make a box and new key and lock, and you got a file

yesterday in twin city i seen old dumbasses lock their shit up which was mostly made by me, and its annoying, especially they didnt do shit in last 3 hours, as it was worse than i left it last time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-08-20 18:53:14

bluefootedpig

I would agree, I ran into locks only once, and it was someone who had locked up medical bandages, which resulted in a greifer able to kill many people.

That said, need to also allow injured people to open doors. I have died a few times trying to get into a "clinic"

#9 2018-08-20 23:02:41

Solbusaur

A multi-person job at removing a lock sounds good to me. Locks can be used legitimately, but a griefer is normally 1 against many.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#10 2018-08-21 17:37:50

WomanWizard

The closest I've seen to locks being used well was the town with the hospital and clinic. When I was born into it it was clear the hospital had been griefed, dirty bandages on the floor, antivenom hidden behind trees, but the clinic was locked and the bandages secure. I got to work cleaning the bandages in the hospital and someone saw what I was doing and gave me a key to the clinic.

The thing is, most people didn't understand why the clinic was locked. I spent a lot of time by the clinic closing the door (there was another key in town) explaining to the people around that there was a hospital and the clinic needed to be locked to prevent griefing. It was backup, you see? Many people understood what it was for in that lifetime by the time I died, and I passed my key on to a kid and gave her a full explanation of what to use the clinic for. If the hospital is griefed, heal at the clinic.

But the intended use gets lost over generations. If there isn't someone standing by the clinic shouting it's purpose to the entire town their whole life, it doesn't do them much good. This is where communication in game is important and overlooked unfortunately. Also explore your towns people. If you only ever lived by the berry farms there, then you wouldn't have seen the hospital and thought the clinic was all you had.

#11 2018-08-21 18:58:39

Tea

WomanWizard wrote:

The closest I've seen to locks being used well was the town with the hospital and clinic. When I was born into it it was clear the hospital had been griefed, dirty bandages on the floor, antivenom hidden behind trees, but the clinic was locked and the bandages secure. I got to work cleaning the bandages in the hospital and someone saw what I was doing and gave me a key to the clinic.

The thing is, most people didn't understand why the clinic was locked. I spent a lot of time by the clinic closing the door (there was another key in town) explaining to the people around that there was a hospital and the clinic needed to be locked to prevent griefing. It was backup, you see? Many people understood what it was for in that lifetime by the time I died, and I passed my key on to a kid and gave her a full explanation of what to use the clinic for. If the hospital is griefed, heal at the clinic.

But the intended use gets lost over generations. If there isn't someone standing by the clinic shouting it's purpose to the entire town their whole life, it doesn't do them much good. This is where communication in game is important and overlooked unfortunately. Also explore your towns people. If you only ever lived by the berry farms there, then you wouldn't have seen the hospital and thought the clinic was all you had.

Therefore I think that the idea having letters saying :"Clinic locked for emergency purpose, use hospital" on a billboard in the middle of town would be really helpful !

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#12 2018-08-22 09:16:20

sanchez

Gimme lock picking

#13 2018-08-22 13:05:45

thegolfpantsguy

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmallSilkyLouseItsBoshyTime

this represents locked doors best i think

#14 2018-08-22 13:09:43

thegolfpantsguy

WomanWizard wrote:

better guard it by someone with weapon who works close killing everyone droping bandages

we all should have an eye on  the bandages when working close to them...
when you realize them disappearing without hearing the "AAAAAAAAAH" sound then you should get a weapon to be ready if it happens again

Last edited by thegolfpantsguy (2018-08-22 13:14:13)

#15 2018-08-22 19:38:46

WomanWizard

Tea wrote:

Therefore I think that the idea having letters saying :"Clinic locked for emergency purpose, use hospital" on a billboard in the middle of town would be really helpful !

Easier said then done, unfortunately. I feel like a better strategy would have been to build the hospital and clinic right next to each other. Then people can see both and see that one is locked and hopefully put two and two together. Or at least ask what's up, you know?

thegolfpantsguy wrote:

better guard it by someone with weapon who works close killing everyone droping bandages

we all should have an eye on  the bandages when working close to them...
when you realize them disappearing without hearing the "AAAAAAAAAH" sound then you should get a weapon to be ready if it happens again

Yeah, I sort of passed this job onto the girl I gave the key to. I think I gave her a knife too, but I can't remember. I told her to keep an eye on the hospital, cause when the pads get dirtied that's when the clinic is most likely going to be needed.

Board footer