One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-22 21:04:47

bENdI

Don't bitch about griefers without trying

Title says it all. In my opinion, if griefing is such a huge problem, how come people haven't tried to organize some sort of "police" force or get someone to stay on guard? I rarely see anyone being like that in huge villages. I always just see some person with 5 knives and is just farming, not doing what their appearance seems to be. Let them distribute knives, not keep them all for yourself.

And yes, I know you can never know who to trust, but let's be honest here, if you really couldn't trust anyone, why keep the forge open at all?

im tired rn i'll elaborate upon this later

#2 2018-08-22 21:14:21

WomanWizard

Re: Don't bitch about griefers without trying

So many times I have a knife (or more because I haven't yet decided who to trust with the ones I just picked up) and someone will come along and try to give me another. It's kind of funny, and I don't mind being the town's knife dealer, but maybe, just maybe, if one person already has three knives in their bag, at least try to give it to someone else first. Also don't keep three knives in your bag if there are other hard working adults around!

If you accidentally give one of the four knives to a griefer, it's not the end of the world. Spread em around folks. Murder cooldown is a thing for a reason!

#3 2018-08-22 22:21:10

Catfive

WomanWizard wrote:

So many times I have a knife (or more because I haven't yet decided who to trust with the ones I just picked up) and someone will come along and try to give me another. It's kind of funny, and I don't mind being the town's knife dealer, but maybe, just maybe, if one person already has three knives in their bag, at least try to give it to someone else first. Also don't keep three knives in your bag if there are other hard working adults around!

If you accidentally give one of the four knives to a griefer, it's not the end of the world. Spread em around folks. Murder cooldown is a thing for a reason!

This. Find the hard workers, arm them. Many weapons will be in the hands of people trying to play the long game and see how far their lineage can go/ their settlement last. 5 with knives, maybe 1 griefs but that still leaves 3 - 4 to fight back smile

#4 2018-08-22 23:59:58

I am Pharo

bENdI wrote:

Title says it all. In my opinion, if griefing is such a huge problem, how come people haven't tried to organize some sort of "police" force or get someone to stay on guard? I rarely see anyone being like that in huge villages. I always just see some person with 5 knives and is just farming, not doing what their appearance seems to be. Let them distribute knives, not keep them all for yourself.

And yes, I know you can never know who to trust, but let's be honest here, if you really couldn't trust anyone, why keep the forge open at all?

im tired rn i'll elaborate upon this later

There are a group of players with the mindset to basically be police as needed, hopefully you will join us in the community with that shared mindset.

Employing someone to be Sheriff, Guard, Knight, etc..
is one strategy civs used more in the past, as griefers learned to ask people to follow them out of town to "the big abandoned town,"  retrieve a bow and arrow from behind a tree, and

X . X 

RIP

Town guard doesn't even know anyone is missing, until someone stumbles along the bloody grave and reports back.

It's best to leave policing to the bakers, hunters, shepherds, and Smiths.  They can work, and be called upon to get justice by blade or bow.

Also, as with crowns and royalties in OHOL,
A LOT of times,
the player assigned to the role of guard, starts "roleplaying"
and ends up endlessly shouting accusations at people, causing them to give a rebellious reaction,
which the guard finds threatening,
and shoots the towns folk...
and either starves out or later murdered.

And bump to WomanWizard's and Catfive's posts.

#5 2018-08-23 01:03:31

startafight

we have had a lot of efforts to place guards around important areas. the problem with that is that having someone patrol around takes up resources. not just food or time, but a good player. and if u have a shitty player thats just a weapon thats about to get into someone elses hands. that and the fact that most guards turn out to be assholes are the reasons why you never see any useful guards.

but ppl with knives should always be prepared to revenge kill and i agree on distributing knives. i hate when ppl hoard all the knives since theyre tools with a purpose. only arrows should be kept in one place in case of bear

#6 2018-08-23 14:45:40

pein

i mean just work but know where you have your weapon, when i see a dumbfuck running with a bow, i just think 'if i  would be a killer, i would start with her and nothing she could do'
dont carry a bow just for the excuse of being a guard and doing nothing, you jsut make yourself a target and scares nobody, maybe the noobs, but they starve after first kill generally

also i seen a lot of times you guys give weapons to dumbfucks, can be your daughter but its still a dumbfuck
if you wouldnt give gear to babies, give it to workers or experienced people, gear would show level of experience
gearing a dumfuck baby to max and crying about gear you didnt make, couldnt make makes me even more agressive towards geared noobs, i swap aprons and packs from kids if contains a knife, and no regret about it, its not a family treasure

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-08-23 17:17:20

Solbusaur

Honestly, it's better to distribute knives rather than lock all of them away. Safety in numbers, the citizens outnumber the griefers. Plus anyone with all the knives could die somehow, and a griefer could get their hands on the stash. They'd have nothing standing in their way.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#8 2018-08-23 21:50:58

Mad_Villager

Would really be cool if someone orginiesed keys giving to only deserving members of community. AND have lots of coppies. This key would leed to a house with a nice old forge.

But i do know that you only got like 35 min to do this in one life and that looks hard. Twins ect should be able to do it though...

#9 2018-08-23 22:19:15

startafight

Mad_Villager wrote:

Would really be cool if someone orginiesed keys giving to only deserving members of community. AND have lots of coppies. This key would leed to a house with a nice old forge.

But i do know that you only got like 35 min to do this in one life and that looks hard. Twins ect should be able to do it though...

this would never happen just cos it costs a lotta iron to do. rn with the rails update itd make more sense to try figuring out a system that works rather than making a million keys (which will probably be lost anyways). and even if they did make a bunch of keys (lets say 3) whatd happen is:

gen 1: keys are safe in proper hands
gen 2: 1 key gets passed onto a scavenger as a holder died without passing it to a trustworthy person, 1 key gets passed to a trustworthy but useless person, 1 key gets passed to a griefer
gen 3: griefer has killed all the other key holders and hid the keys. griefer will either die with the keys after wiping family or run off and lose them all (or just hide em)

the problem with many keys is that now keys are useless cos after it passes to a griefers hands they can lock or unlock everything important. and after griefer dies and hides/loses keys we'll just end up with a bunch of locked doors we cant access

Board footer