One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-06 03:52:55

SomeRandomPerson

Would you suicide as the last girl?

The place  isn't what you had planned and yoi think to run. You notice the towns all men besides your mother and people are begging for you to stay. Let's also say that mums gone old just after your birth.

#2 2018-09-06 05:17:57

WomanWizard

Re: Would you suicide as the last girl?

I rarely suicide, so my opinion on this probably isn't the most insightful (the answer is I wouldn't), but I just came out of a game where something similar happened. I was Sherlock Bear and little Hope Bear was born to her mother just before she went grey. I promised Hope the world, including a crown since I knew where the gold was. She stayed. She might have anyway, but we weren't taking chances. When hope is the last girl, she gets anything she wants.

I made her that crown. It was the first crown I ever made, and it looked great on her.

#3 2018-09-06 05:29:55

MultiLife

Nope I would not, whether the place is to my liking or not, I'll deal with it. It's a challenge to me. If it is a small camp but there is a more optimal or safer spot nearby I'd slowly move the camp there throughout my life. If it's a messed up place I'll organize. If there is an annoying player I'll manage.

I see no reasons to suicide in normal scenarios. The only two times I suicided was as a male because the camp/town had a cursed player who just couldn't function without spouting racist and sexist stuff, yell and whine or have some sex related roleplay going on.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-09-06 05:45:04

SomeRandomPerson

I ask because i've seen this situation a couple times and they almost always suicide. It mostly happens to Eves but it effects plenty of towns too.

Not sure if they are intentionally doing it to grief or if they genuinely unaware that they have killed a bloodline. Most of them DC instantly as if they swiped left on Tinder. Instant rejection.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-06 05:49:55)

#5 2018-09-06 05:48:17

MultiLife

Some people in the forums said they'd suicide out of spite if they got named Hope (they said they are fed up with the name). Some players are trying to get back into a family they spawned before and couldn't care less for other settlements. Some are griefers who want to get to cities.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-09-06 05:50:04

Trick

SomeRandomPerson wrote:

The place  isn't what you had planned and yoi think to run. You notice the towns all men besides your mother and people are begging for you to stay. Let's also say that mums gone old just after your birth.

If you name me Hope, then yes.  I will suicide.

I am otherwise a very nice player, but I will protest the name Hope.

#7 2018-09-06 07:02:21

SomeRandomPerson

Trick wrote:
SomeRandomPerson wrote:

Then I will name all my kids hope to rid of people like you.

#8 2018-09-06 07:35:49

WomanWizard

Trick wrote:
SomeRandomPerson wrote:

Yeah, this has to be the stupidest reason to suicide. Even above not having a last name. But I guess if that's what you want, have at it.

#9 2018-09-06 09:06:27

pein

i suicide when i dont see an axe and they got double fire or no fire
and no desert, and no plans to make a hatchet either

middle of the green biome, corpses around and tilling soil with a skewer, any signs of an older newbee eve who cant even find a pond is suicide

minimum is to find a good spot, if you running with ropes aimlessly before carry me to the spot, i will suicide
put me down on a close to medium tile and start making the kiln and have some water, i dont care about their lineage if they cant provide me that
i stay a few sec generally, if she is nice, to let her say something, but if not im outta there

there is no reason for me to be the eve 2nd gen and make their name a long lineage, feed my mom and sisters and all their kids
also i suicide when people drop every girl on other location and starve their boys, they only go for the easy eve starts where others do all the job and make their name big

i tried with new eves to help them out as a boy, if i can find something 30-50 tile away i make a kiln and plant something, make a bowl and get food
then i invite over or kidnap a sister, if you do before bowls they ruin that too by not having food, wasting firewood on babies who die anyway

also if i dont like their conversations,actions, yeah calling me hope or faith  is close to suicide, if i see that is a bad camp and people left it/starved there

if you dont have a desert, you eat 3-4 times more and most people will die anyway, if you waste firewood on babies wont solve the problem long term

rpers, feminazis, if i stay i will kill them for stuff like 'they are our servants','work peasant', 'let the boys die' so if im last girl, i will suicide taking the stupid crown as far as possible

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-09-06 10:00:41

gabal

I have never suicided. Even when the situation is horrible I try to make a best of it.

For example, I was born to an Eve which didn't have a clue. She settled next to some berry bushes without a pond in sight. I abandoned her after I couldn't make her realize location is awfull, took a bowl of berries with me and settled on a better spot as a Pseudo-Eve.

Even when I was born a boy and Eve died right after birthing me I didn't give up as my sister fed me berries and we established a village together.
I think you can learn more from starting in bad situations and feel more pride of your accomplishement then to suicide and wait for perfect birth.

But that is just my opinion, everybody is entitled to play the game as they see fit.

#11 2018-09-06 10:10:01

Trick

WomanWizard wrote:
Trick wrote:
SomeRandomPerson wrote:

Yeah, this has to be the stupidest reason to suicide. Even above not having a last name. But I guess if that's what you want, have at it.

I am protesting stupid, overused, and uncreative names.  I am sick to death of the dumb name, and I hate being named it.  So, if you name me Hope, I will kill myself.  If people realize that naming their kid Hope is going to lead to their suicide, they might reconsider using it and instead find some creativity in their heads.

#12 2018-09-06 10:30:53

S0mbre

Suicide need to have a penalty (like making the next lives for one hour more harder) because suicide can ruin a village. I've see starting village where 4 or 5 baby go directly to suicide.

But it's hard to see the difference between a suicide and a natural death (Starvation, Killed by an animal, dead when trying to follow mum, ....).

The main goal of suicide is to try to respawn elsewhere. It go against the game. It make other people losing motivation. Every people should play there life entirely. Even if they are born in the wrong place. Shit happens. In real life, you don't choose where you are born. You deal with it. You still can kill yourself but you don't do it because you don't know what there will be after this.

I don't ask for something avoiding people to logging. But for something forcing them to invest a little bit in the life they have until there is a youngest woman who can take care of the next.

I am protesting stupid, overused, and uncreative names.  I am sick to death of the dumb name, and I hate being named it.  So, if you name me Hope, I will kill myself.  If people realize that naming their kid Hope is going to lead to their suicide, they might reconsider using it and instead find some creativity in their heads.

Suicide yourself for a name is dumb. It's like neolithic way of life... those word like "hope" don't even exist in this period of time. If you suicide for this, it's really stupid. Play the game dammit !

Last edited by S0mbre (2018-09-06 10:33:23)

#13 2018-09-06 10:55:15

VioletLily

S0mbre wrote:

Suicide need to have a penalty (like making the next lives for one hour more harder) because suicide can ruin a village. I've see starting village where 4 or 5 baby go directly to suicide.

But it's hard to see the difference between a suicide and a natural death (Starvation, Killed by an animal, dead when trying to follow mum, ....).

It's not so much hard, as it is impossible.

If you are going to go this route, rather than a penalty system for suiciding, it would be a lot more feasible to have a reward system for living to an older age. Problem with this is that people would then prefer cities over early camps or eve runs and suicide until they get a suitable life. Maybe the reward could chain throughout lives, getting better with each late death in a row. This would make greifing even worse though.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-06 10:57:54)

#14 2018-09-06 11:01:05

S0mbre

Yes, it's not easy to find a solution. There is a bunch of games who success to avoid this lack of investment. But i have no game idea in mind. I just know than i've seen, in the past, system working really well for this cancer.

Yes, rewarding long life could be a good idea. But there is some problem with this as you describe it.

Last edited by S0mbre (2018-09-06 11:01:51)

#15 2018-09-06 11:11:39

VioletLily

Come to think of it, is it possible to track the movement of mothers and babies? You could track the common behavior of baby suiciders (such as moving far away from mother, while mother moves closer to baby, before baby death) and record the information. If someone shows this behavior often enough, you could then enact the penalty.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-06 11:18:29)

#16 2018-09-06 11:17:05

S0mbre

Yes. It's a good idea to manage this. For penalty idea, i don't have idea how to make it. The only way is see is to make life harder for the next hour. Or disable bubbles for suicide babies who have suicide two or three times.

#17 2018-09-06 11:21:20

VioletLily

The only problem I see with tracking baby-suiciders, is that it wouldn't stop people from suiciding once they grow. So then you would have mothers who spend time and resources to raise a baby who just suicides the second they grow into a child.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-06 11:22:26)

#18 2018-09-06 11:25:23

S0mbre

Yes. It's not an easy task to manage this problem. ^^
If we success to know when there is a suicide, then, we will be able to deal with it.

I've also think about making suicide babies saying weird words like symbol when they speak.

If a baby go for child, he will have a name, you can curse him if he go suicide. It's a start.
You can't give a name to a baby who go suicide, but a child will have already a name.

Last edited by S0mbre (2018-09-06 11:28:16)

#19 2018-09-06 11:28:39

Roblor

There really should be some way for the algorithm to judge, if not precisely, but atleast approximately the actions of the baby vs the actions of the mother and penalize those babies who's death matches close to a certain behavior pattern.

Even though you suicide to punish one or more players that are annoying, this act of sabotage is very likely to affect the hard workin players who're running around far away from your relatively small field of vision. Many, if not all, of the people affected by your frustration-induced sabotage truly deserves better.

I realize that many babies are actually frustrated by the events that led to their deaths in their previous lives. it's not a very healthy way to start a new life. You know you should take a break, right? Go shake it off.
Shake, shake, shake it off.

Now this penalizing algorithm truly serves, in the end, to make a more enjoyable game, even though it will piss people off momentarily when they have to wait, lets say 10 seconds, before they are allowed to click the rebirth option.
I would for now suggest to penalize players who move away from their current tile (First tile where they were placed after leaving leaving a fertile females arms or the spawn tile), based on the direction they chose to move in relation to the movement of their mother or last fertile female who carried them. This will of course cause people to become un-rightly punished in certain scenarios, but  the majority of the penalizations should affect their intended targets most of the time.

Thus, hopefully, discouraging people from giving up on a life the same moment it began and making this a more satisfying game for all.

gabal wrote:

I have never suicided. Even when the situation is horrible I try to make a best of it.

For example, I was born to an Eve which didn't have a clue. She settled next to some berry bushes without a pond in sight. I abandoned her after I couldn't make her realize location is awfull, took a bowl of berries with me and settled on a better spot as a Pseudo-Eve.

Even when I was born a boy and Eve died right after birthing me I didn't give up as my sister fed me berries and we established a village together.
I think you can learn more from starting in bad situations and feel more pride of your accomplishement then to suicide and wait for perfect birth.

But that is just my opinion, everybody is entitled to play the game as they see fit.

You, sir or madam, are my hero.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#20 2018-09-06 11:34:56

S0mbre

Yeah... always play. You don't know. Your little settle could help someone who pass by it later. An adobe forge ready to work is really helpfull when you travel and you pass by it. And also because it seem than you can born as Eve on a abandonned village.

We really need to find a way to teach people to not suicide. A penalizing algorithm is a good idea. (But do not penalize a baby if the mother is in the wild and continue to run without going picking up her unexpected baby).

Last edited by S0mbre (2018-09-06 11:37:15)

#21 2018-09-06 11:42:07

SomeRandomPerson

What about making it so babies cannot escape when an adult grabs them. They could still DC but that can't be stopped.
Least it might discourage suiciding as DC'ing requires you to reopen the entire game.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-06 12:01:36)

#22 2018-09-06 11:44:16

Anshin

SomeRandomPerson wrote:

What about making it so babies cannot escape when an adult grabs them.

Because some people kidnap kids and run off with them until they die.

#23 2018-09-06 12:07:03

SomeRandomPerson

Anshin wrote:
SomeRandomPerson wrote:

What about making it so babies cannot escape when an adult grabs them.

Because some people kidnap kids and run off with them until they die.

Babies are easy to kill, They need to be looked after. So protect your babies if you don't want them stolen.

#24 2018-09-06 12:10:15

Anshin

I still believe a 45 second pregnancy would really help people cool off and get a sense of their new life. Where the new player can see what the mother sees, and the mom gets a chance to prepare for incoming baby. Consider it a warm up tour smile

#25 2018-09-06 12:18:31

PeaGirl

Anshin wrote:

I still believe a 45 second pregnancy would really help people cool off and get a sense of their new life. Where the new player can see what the mother sees, and the mom gets a chance to prepare for incoming baby. Consider it a warm up tour smile

But what if baby does not like it? Do they do abort?

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

Board footer