One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-10 00:14:41

SomeRandomPerson

What can replace berries.

Milk is pretty easy apart from the need for buckets which can be expensive. But at least the buckets are a one time cost and be reused forever.

Why not do Peins berry farm and then make milk the main "food".

End the huge berry fields that need half the town to maintain them.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-10 00:18:27)

#2 2018-09-10 01:22:32

Booklat1

Re: What can replace berries.

because berries are very noob friendly.

you'll always need some berry for compost and it can also be eaten by kids but adults should strive for better food. it's not even that hard to get some milk buckets but people haven't really gotten that used to cows yet i think.

#3 2018-09-10 03:28:46

pein

a better rope version possibly with high need of iron investment, to not make too op would make it more grindy but then easy to make more storage and buckets, doors and chests

now we get hamburgers so i think people will invest in cows

as booklat says, berry is noob friendly, also doesnt need tilling
now when you have an eve run, carrot is very wasteful, maybe good as fast complimentary solution but you need berry to keep alive the line while all the pro girls suicide and wait your noob girls to spawn somebody who willing to make the tools

you need the berry for compost so cant skip it entirely

more refills on berry are better than more berry bushes, or at least people should fix bushes before planting new, dont plant it near walls, etc.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-09-10 06:41:35

Jk Howling

Food-wise

Popcorn is a decent option for early game. You only require some dry corn and a fire. Each soil grows 4 corn, each corn makes one bowl of popcorn. Each bowl feeds 1 pip and has 4 uses. It's not very filling, but good for early baby/old-people food.

Sauerkraut is an option for mid-late game towns. Each pot fills 5 bowls, each bowl fills 4 pips and has two uses. Good kid/elder food when available, and only costs one soil per pot. Downside is you'll have to spend a lot of time running back and forth between salt-water holes and coals, and they require quite a lot of iron to make [at least 7 minimum].

I guess if you don't care about wasted calories, you could always just have every member young or old go off milk, pies, stew, omelettes, what have you. It's not efficient but it can work.

But nothing will ever be as easy or as efficient as berries. They're the most consistently available food there is, as every town barring very early eve camps or long-time abandoned towns have them. This is also keeping in mind that almost all new players will be familiar with them, as they're the primary food source in the tutorial, which doesn't even touch upon the idea of "better" foods.

People will go for what's the closest, what's familiar, and what's the easiest. Berries fit all three categories. New players also won't know better until corrected- and how often do you stop when you see an adult eating berries, and explain to them there's better food nearby?

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-10 06:48:14)

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2018-09-10 07:36:33

Roblor

Wasting calories is not important as long as you can stay alive.
If you made your camp in the right place, then eggs are in a virtually never-ending supply, provided that you have at least one decent elder who knows the swamps well.
I always tell my kids to eat their damned omelettes.

Last edited by Roblor (2018-09-10 07:37:59)

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#6 2018-09-10 07:47:21

Tarr
Banned

If your only purpose is to eat without any worry in the world the answer is always milk. For three bowls of corn you get- One domestic buffalo, a domestic cow, and a cow that can be milked. Since cows aren't changing from dry to domestic you can keep a cow in off mode until you are ready for your next bucket.

If you are looking for actual food sauerkraut is the best single crop food in game. A completed crock of sauerkraut produces sixty food total (Each bowl is two bites, each bite is six food, and each crock is five bowls.) If salt water ponds are not located nearby you can always produce waterskins to carry salt water back towards your fire. However, I wouldn't expect future generations to keep making kraut as in most cases people don't care or know how to make it once you die.

I can't say why other people don't just drink milk as their only source of food in game but for me personally it sort of ruins the fun. I've played this game in many different states and easy food is probably the worst between having easy compost, easy water, or easy food.

With easy water nothing really changes as you still have to do all the farming in game to get food/resources. When compost is easy in game mistakes are just easier to fix and when food is easy you stop having things to do.

If anything people don't just drink milk because it's inconvenient having to either carry around a bucket of milk + bowl or just having to run to the nearest bucket to get a sippy sip.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-09-10 07:47:45)

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-09-11 00:03:22

Booklat1

Tarr wrote:

If anything people don't just drink milk because it's inconvenient having to either carry around a bucket of milk + bowl or just having to run to the nearest bucket to get a sippy sip.

well this is the big advantage of pies (and it being a subproduct of composting)

still, milk plus pies plus occasional yums and you shouldn't worry about food much. Maybe if we start dropping milk buckets along roads and close to working places people will make more use of it.

just be sure to make some extra buckets

Board footer