One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 15:51:04

Leilani

Breeding dogs = griefing

Guys, dogs is a bad idea at this stage. They can be bred like mad, when you get a pitbull it'll attack and kill everyone, and it ruins lots of towns.

There needs to be a way to kill excess dogs. And pitbulls shouldn't just randomly attack everyone. Now the appearance of a pitbull makes everyone freak out and we're trying to find the bow and arrow to shoot the darned thing.

Someone noted that dogs and bears cancel each other out. Does anyone know what happens if a pit bull encounters a bear? Because that might be useful.

Responsible dog breeding suggestions: Breed them outside of town, don't bring them in. Have a bow and arrow readily available for pitbulls. And if you see any little twerp taking too much mutton over to the dogs, stab them.

Dogs might just be the new easiest way to grief advanced towns. They need to be nerfed.

#2 2018-09-15 16:04:29

Anshin

Re: Breeding dogs = griefing

Please do a mini-update and make all dogs killable!
I look forward to all their herding and hunting and watchdog abilities later, but for now please just let us be able to cull them.

#3 2018-09-15 23:56:28

Turnipseed

Anshin wrote:

Please do a mini-update and make all dogs killable!
I look forward to all their herding and hunting and watchdog abilities later, but for now please just let us be able to cull them.

And add chiwawa slippers....

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2018-09-16 01:42:17

UnnoticedShadow

Cows also need to be made mortal, they not only are unkillable, but do not need to eat and never poop!  Such makes them immortal, which makes them godly!  WORSHIP THE COW GOD!

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-09-16 03:36:25)

#5 2018-09-16 04:53:45

Joriom
Website

#6 2018-09-16 15:58:43

UnnoticedShadow

I decided to start a dogpocolypse for the lolz yesterday, and GOSH was it overwhelming.  It's hard NOT to feed them mutton when you know they will be fed soon anyways, and they absolutely took over the town.  I'm saying there were 50 or so dogs before I died, and that number is growing.

#7 2018-09-16 17:07:46

Auner

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

I decided to start a dogpocolypse for the lolz yesterday, and GOSH was it overwhelming.  It's hard NOT to feed them mutton when you know they will be fed soon anyways, and they absolutely took over the town.  I'm saying there were 50 or so dogs before I died, and that number is growing.

I legitimately dislike you as a person.

Like I can respect grieving if it adds some real story to the game- which is often done out of boredum.. But for the Lolz?  >.< Is it 2005?! I hope you're a goddamn teenager.

It's not funny, I hope your home gets swarmed with fruit flies or fleas.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#8 2018-09-16 18:40:36

UnnoticedShadow

Sorry, I am a "Goddamn teenager" and perhaps I shouldn't of done it, but I figured the town would get overwhelmed by them anyways, and other people were feeding them, so decided to join in.

Also that last part is quite unnecessary.

#9 2018-09-16 19:18:53

Auner

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Sorry, I am a "Goddamn teenager" and perhaps I shouldn't of done it, but I figured the town would get overwhelmed by them anyways, and other people were feeding them, so decided to join in.

Also that last part is quite unnecessary.

All right then- look, in real life life, choosing the action that brings misery and sabotage -- is a terrible idea. Just because everyone else is doing it, isn't going to make anything less miserable.

I know you've been told "if everyone jumps off a cliff would you?"

But the reality of it goes much deeper than that. Do you hurt your partner's feelings because they hurt yours? Just cause someone does it- even to you- doesn't mean joining them will render you a happy, long-term partner-- or progress in communication or life issues in general.

Going with the crowd will feed you a sense of validation and acceptance- but as life goes on you will be more of a victim to other's personal benefits. In time you will see that valid and acceptance comes from within, with your own peace because you acted in a way that renders you actually liking who you are as a human being-- instead of someone else liking you cause you do what they want you to do.

Anyway- dont feed dogs just cause someone else is. That's grieving, it ruins game play for others. Stop it.

Last edited by Auner (2018-09-16 19:20:28)

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#10 2018-09-16 19:28:21

Go! Bwah!

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

I decided to start a dogpocolypse for the lolz yesterday, and GOSH was it overwhelming.

Was that the Polar-family town?

I don't care much for/about griefing, but I love having dogs everywhere.  It gives the game some life and visual interest.  I would much prefer to just sit on the desert edge and watch dogs run around than obsess over maximizing my yum meter.  It'll be even better if/when they get personalities and hopefully emergent behavior.

Unfortunately people have to go through a lot of trouble to make this happen, building sheep pens and all.  Maybe I'll make a custom server where you don't starve and you can feed dogs berries... but then again, maybe I won't.

Also:

Auner wrote:

look, in real life

This ain't real life.  You can overpopulate dogs in a game and still have good relationships and stand up for what you believe in in real life.  You can also play Monopoly to win and not try to bankrupt people in real life, or play chess to win and not try to kill your opponents in real life.

It's *you* who wished real-life problems on somebody due to (not really that) bad behavior in a game.  I don't think you should be lecturing anybody.

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-09-16 19:36:49)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#11 2018-09-16 20:14:25

tana

geez, i was born as an eve in a dead town overun by dogs, and as soon as my screen loaded, before i could even move i was already bitten by a pitbull. One second before i died, a baby pooped out, all i could say was sorry.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#12 2018-09-16 21:01:21

UnnoticedShadow

I was not in the winter town, but it was inevitable.  Knowing that you're village is going to fall to dogs is just stupid, anyways.  I think i'm taking a break until dogs stop there nonsense.

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-09-16 21:01:39)

#13 2018-09-17 00:02:58

Tarr
Banned

tana wrote:

geez, i was born as an eve in a dead town overun by dogs, and as soon as my screen loaded, before i could even move i was already bitten by a pitbull. One second before i died, a baby pooped out, all i could say was sorry.

Yeah I've had this happen to myself twice. I have no idea why he gave dogs the range of movement they have. Seven tiles of movement is absurd for vicious fast moving animals which can very easily snipe anyone playing in the default zoom set up.

Hoping Monday he brings in some sort of quick fix for this hot mess.

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2018-09-17 10:40:14

Erudaru

Go! Bwah! wrote:
UnnoticedShadow wrote:

I decided to start a dogpocolypse for the lolz yesterday, and GOSH was it overwhelming.

Was that the Polar-family town?

I don't care much for/about griefing, but I love having dogs everywhere.  It gives the game some life and visual interest.  I would much prefer to just sit on the desert edge and watch dogs run around than obsess over maximizing my yum meter.  It'll be even better if/when they get personalities and hopefully emergent behavior.

Unfortunately people have to go through a lot of trouble to make this happen, building sheep pens and all.  Maybe I'll make a custom server where you don't starve and you can feed dogs berries... but then again, maybe I won't.

Also:

Auner wrote:

look, in real life

This ain't real life.  You can overpopulate dogs in a game and still have good relationships and stand up for what you believe in in real life.  You can also play Monopoly to win and not try to bankrupt people in real life, or play chess to win and not try to kill your opponents in real life.

It's *you* who wished real-life problems on somebody due to (not really that) bad behavior in a game.  I don't think you should be lecturing anybody.

Well, Monopoly and chess are competitive games, whereas in OHOL there is no inherent playable opponent.

Besides, when you play chess, you can take the maximum time for each round, lets say. You can do it for the lolz, because you know it will annoy your opponent and the audience. It's not against the rules, though it does makes you a pity asshole IRL.

While playing Monopoly, you can insult your opponents all the time. Their reactions might make you lol. Not against the rules. But still, makes you an asshole IRL.

Board footer