One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-17 23:38:41

GreatShawn

Suggestions for babies

Here's some suggestion for babies:

-baby bottles made of metal and rubber for early game, and maybe plastic for late game? Anyways, babies can pick up baby bottles and drink it (eating it) to sustain their hunger statues. The bottles can be filled with breast milk or actual milk, but only works for babies under 5 years old (hopefully doable for jason wink )

-baby carts, or you can just put babies in carts. They can also hold their cute little bottles in the cart.

-beds for babies so they can grow up peacefully and without losing much hunger.

-a way to cannibalize babies (putting them in crocks with water and boil them?? add spice?)

Feel free to add anything!

#2 2018-10-18 16:06:43

Ilka

Re: Suggestions for babies

GreatShawn wrote:

-a way to cannibalize babies (putting them in crocks with water and boil them?? add spice?)

I hope you are kidding.
Most simply need scarves for carrying infants. It must be something simple to do even in the Eve camp. For example, three rabbit fur + two pieces of fur + thread with a needle = a sling to carry children. Sling allows the mother to normally work with the baby on her back (or on the stomach). The child is fed with mother's milk. You can add a little faster loss of energy - but slower than that which causes you to stay in the snow biomass. It will be very useful and realistic.

#3 2018-10-18 19:50:41

hailey

Most simply need scarves for carrying infants. It must be something simple to do even in the Eve camp. For example, three rabbit fur + two pieces of fur + thread with a needle = a sling to carry children

+1! I’ve always wondered if something like this would get added. I mean it’s not a must have but it would definelty benefit mothers who have a large list of things to do.

| Eve Willow |

#4 2018-10-18 22:26:38

GreatShawn

Ilka wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

I hope you are kidding.
Most simply need scarves for carrying infants. It must be something simple to do even in the Eve camp. For example, three rabbit fur + two pieces of fur + thread with a needle = a sling to carry children. Sling allows the mother to normally work with the baby on her back (or on the stomach). The child is fed with mother's milk. You can add a little faster loss of energy - but slower than that which causes you to stay in the snow biomass. It will be very useful and realistic.

Well, I mean this is a game, so anything is possible, even cannibalizing babies. +1 for the sling idea. I think then the mother can do other things while carring a baby!

#5 2018-10-18 22:43:54

Tea

I also would like to have the possibility to carry my child around while working let's say on the farm or forge. The kid could have a look of the town while I carry on my task.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#6 2018-10-18 23:01:20

MegaLlama

If we are going to add baby slings, I think there should be a downside to them, otherwise they might OP(?). Perhaps you would not be able to hold certain things with a baby in the sling, such as a dug rock, or other larger objects.

#7 2018-10-18 23:01:45

Starknight_One

hailey wrote:

Most simply need scarves for carrying infants. It must be something simple to do even in the Eve camp. For example, three rabbit fur + two pieces of fur + thread with a needle = a sling to carry children

+1! I’ve always wondered if something like this would get added. I mean it’s not a must have but it would definelty benefit mothers who have a large list of things to do.

My thought was: rabbit fur shawl + rope = baby sling

Baby sling puts baby in carry position but mother has her hands free. You cannot wear a baby sling and a backpack at the same time. Adds a slight amount of heat, as the baby and mother are in skin-to-skin contact (which is good for cold biomes, not so much for desert).

But using more fur and thread is good too.

#8 2018-10-19 06:56:44

PeaGirl

I think it would be nerfed to this point that it would make perfect sense.

- Baby sling would need to replace backbag slot, giving male more chances of being able to use backbags while doing complex tasks outside or inside town.
- Baby would need to be picked up to be fed, then placed back in babysling.
- Baby obtains the benefit of babysling as warmth bonus, because it is technically "a clothing" to it, not to mother.
- Mother should be able to do all the tasks inside town except holding knife or bow, because mother needs to keep the baby away from dangerous objects...
- Mother can not carry heavy objects, such as dug up rock, chipped rock or crock (and it's variants), but it is still debatable imo. Some african and South-Asian women have proven their strength over time by carrying a baby and heavy baskets on their heads for generations.
- Baby is unable to run away, because sling is tight on baby depending on it's weight.

Though, making this as "anti-suiciding" for babies might be scary, especially if player has nothing to lose in their opinion. It would stress them to the point of griefing... maybe.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#9 2018-10-19 07:34:44

VioletLily

PeaGirl wrote:

- Baby obtains the benefit of babysling as warmth bonus, because it is technically "a clothing" to it, not to mother.

I do believe it should add considerable warmth to the mother, but only when the baby is in it. Anyone who has carried a baby in a sling or baby carrier in summer can attest to how hot it can get.  You are basically carrying a 97.5°F (36.4°C) heater on your back after all.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-19 07:36:36)

#10 2018-10-19 07:38:50

PeaGirl

VioletLily wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

I do believe it should add considerable warmth to the mother, but only when the baby is in it. Anyone who has carried a baby in a sling or baby carrier in summer can attest to how hot it can get.  You are basically carrying a 97.5°F (36.4°C) heater on your back after all.

Hmm... well it would make sense.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#11 2018-10-19 09:00:30

Vexenie

PeaGirl wrote:

Some african and South-Asian women have proven their strength over time by carrying a baby and heavy baskets on their heads for generations.

Maybe!... The black skinned and maybe asian (yellowish skin or something) could hold baby and items, but can also carry heavy thing, just like you said.
This would make having black or asian women a must, cuz they can carry all items as well a baby!

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#12 2018-10-19 11:22:10

Carrot-Seedling

@orginal post

Rubber, hooray! Rubber trees and stuff. And casein for plastic. Casein is a protein in milk you can seperate with vinegar.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#13 2018-10-19 12:11:51

Aurora Aurora

Vexenie wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

Some african and South-Asian women have proven their strength over time by carrying a baby and heavy baskets on their heads for generations.

Maybe!... The black skinned and maybe asian (yellowish skin or something) could hold baby and items, but can also carry heavy thing, just like you said.
This would make having black or asian women a must, cuz they can carry all items as well a baby!

But thatd just be kinda racist, wouldnt it? Giving some races more benefits than others

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#14 2018-10-19 13:50:10

Carrot-Seedling

Aurora, we still don't have a redhead male either, making redheads more valuable even with the balancing nerf. Or an African female, making darker skinned people less valuable. Perhaps we need the balance.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#15 2018-10-19 14:50:05

VioletLily

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

Aurora, we still don't have a redhead male either, making redheads more valuable even with the balancing nerf. Or an African female, making darker skinned people less valuable. Perhaps we need the balance.

The best way to balance this is is to add the missing characters.

I see no reason to add any kind of racial advantages in this game. And in the case of carrying a baby and large objects, that was due to culture, not race. OHOL has a culture all of it's own.

#16 2018-10-19 15:09:08

Tarr
Banned

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

Actually we kind of do need the missing models. Jason had to change how children worked because of the missing ginger male. Basically if you didn't see the ginger apocalypse towns became all female tribes of gingers due to each female having a 90% chance of producing a same race baby with 10% chance letting it go up or down a skin tone letter.

Currently you need 4+ gingers to be able for ginger women to start producing girls only with the change but should you ever get a quad ginger group you are pretty much in god mode with your births almost always being little girls. On the other hand darker skin tones have a higher skewered chance to produce a boy since moving down is 50/50 or whatever for male/female or 100% male if your child is the African model.

Due to this the best models are as following

White: Has a chance to produce ginger models, higher chance of producing females than males when rolling outside of race.
Ginger: Always produces white children which in turn have a chance to produce more ginger children. Ginger will be beat out white when a group of gingers appear.
Brown: Lower chances of birthing females than normal due to out of racial having a skewed male population. Has a chance to produce males which never extend out the family line.
Black: Worst model of all due to always being male. Good for players wanting to be productive and not worry about children, however a bad player is twice as bad due to lack of females.

TL;DR need missing models to bring things back in line.

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2018-10-19 15:54:03

pein

you cant force people to stay
they would exit the game

baby slingshot- throw baby out of the lineage
baby catapult- throw the baby far away, to other server
this idea was refused several times, jason even said he want to make baby raising harder, not easier
plus my baby would get sea sickness on my back

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-10-20 04:22:21

ksaturn

If he wants to make it harder, that is fine. Large percentages of people opting out randomly, without reasonable cause, is not a good thing and does not 'accomplish' that in a good way. New mechanics or tweaks can make it harder in ways that make sense in context of the game.

I do like the idea of building a baby-specific back-frame or sling to carry a baby, definitely a good idea. Lots of historical precedent. Adding tools does make certain things easier, but that is what all technology does. The game balance is unlikely to be shattered by this, if only because it will be a long, convoluted process that consumes resources like everything else in OHOL is.

In towns and cities that have everything the game IS (theoretically at least) easy right now. That is a bigger question to answer, how to make that engaging and challenging still, as you push higher and higher.

Some people are not satisfied with the state of play in developed cities, or in eve 'hard-mode' and right now this creating a major problem.

Board footer