One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-20 07:19:53

ClownBaby

Any advice for helping out a stagnant no milkweed, no sheep village?

I have run into a lot of these villages today, they tend to have the basic steel tools, but don't have any milkweed (have to search around 5+ minutes to find any) or sheep/sheep pens.  If it had sheep, I could start making tons of compost (these towns always have giant gooseberry farms), and then scrounge some milkweed seeds to start up a huge milkweed farm.  Conversely, with milkweed we could easily make bows and arrows, followed by carts and hunt down some sheep.

When I have neither, and all the other villagers are happy with the status quo, we just get dirt haulers that take 2 minutes per trip, and people maintaining the berries.  I have gone out and scrounged some rope, but to do that, followed by a sheep pen, a bow and arrow, and then hunting the sheep down I am already practically dead(not to mention the times I have died to a surprise boar or mosquitoes 40 minutes in). 

Has anyone else had any luck in these sorts of towns?  I usually am not satisfied maintaining the current, slowly dying town unless someone else is doing the above already.  I also have a ton of trouble getting other villagers to help with anything, not to mention there are very few that I would expect to survive in the wilderness for long.

#2 2018-11-20 08:01:33

eve_stark

Re: Any advice for helping out a stagnant no milkweed, no sheep village?

I've been finding that stone roads are way of bootstrapping a town towards resources. Stone roads only require stakes, round stone, and flat rocks, so you can just start building a road in a roughly straight line. Movement along the road will encourage the town to spread and find resources. This is probably not a perfect solution, but I think it works better than trying to convince people to do something.

Building a road encourages exploration and expansion more than typing it out.

#3 2018-11-20 08:03:27

mikekchar

I don't really play the game very much, but I was wondering along a similar line.  It seems like villages are doomed to die out until players get a bit more experience.  However, it seems completely feasible to wait out the die off by surviving outside of town.  I was thinking of trying to start a satellite village that analysed the likely failure mode of the town and built what will be necessary to  restart the town.  Then by stealing (um... borrowing) manufactured goods from the town, you could have a kind of easy "re-Eve run".  Even if you are male, I wonder how easy it would be to convince a female to hang out with you to wait out the inevitable die off in the big city.  You'd want to be far enough away that the average noob wouldn't want to immigrate, but close enough that you could convince someone fertile to settle down there when you were close to death.

Probably this idea appeals to be because I'm not a big fan of multi-player games :-)  I like doing my own thing and any excuse to get away from the crowd appeals to me (IRL too).  However, I really wonder whether it would work...

#4 2018-11-20 08:38:50

ClownBaby

mikekchar wrote:

However, it seems completely feasible to wait out the die off by surviving outside of town.

I have definitely done that before haha, I can usually survive in the wilds just fine with a child or two by staying away from a village.  However, the towns I am in are usually hanging by a thread, just enough people are able to water/soil the gooseberries to keep the town alive.  So they won't die off now, but they will a few generations down the line once they hit the critical point of too many new players, dirt too far to carry, etc.

#5 2018-11-20 09:04:12

gabal

Plant milkweed, the problem will just get much more severe.

If you have shovel and chisel start making a pen from belltower bases. If you don't have iron tools you can make it from oven bases but adobe can be hard to find. Even if you don't finish it you can lay groundwork for next generation, leave a bowl of berries and carrot in it and a rope and give the task to next generation to find a mouflon.

#6 2018-11-20 09:23:54

lionon

Recently I planted milkweed for a village. Basically most of my life aside for caring for children was 4 milkweed hmm

Is it true it is 8 scoops of soil for one rope? ...

#7 2018-11-20 09:43:01

ClownBaby

Yep, or you have to use the tool twice per patch.  That's why I dislike milkweed without compost, gotta travel too far for little return.

#8 2018-11-20 10:06:06

gabal

16 bowls of soil for one rope. Or 8 but you use up hoe faster as you double-till it.

#9 2018-11-20 11:00:25

lionon

So i guess one major breaking point of many villages is the lack of building a pen early enough?

Is there an update to date guide for early pens? (Like building them from oven based, or can you make them from graves?)

#10 2018-11-20 11:57:25

Korilian

You might be able to make them from graves, but that’s extremely vulnerable to grieving. To be honest they all are.

I was in a town like that yesterday and kept trying to organize a sheep hunt, but I kept getting distracted by more critical issues. Food running out. Better bale of some pies. Berry farm is dying. Better do a wuick soil run. When We finally had the sheep pen ready and I was getting ready to plant some milkweed I stupidly starved *headdesk*

I should probably work on my communication skills...

#11 2018-11-20 12:05:28

Booklat1

Here's what I suggest.

Check if your town has all these tools: Axe, shovel, hammer, froe, adze, file, saw. If so you can make a pickaxe and try to find an iron vein.

Long term no cities are sustainable as you keep needing to find iron to replace your tools. Iron mines once found and extracted guarantee you'll have some more iron for a few gens at least or provide for the tools you'll need for sheep (shears and knife).

If you really want a city to last  you absolutely have to make a bell tower though. Bell towns are always the most advanced as they usually end up being revived a few times before getting stable settlements nearby.

Lionon, check pein's last pen guide. I think its number 3.

#12 2018-11-20 12:11:13

ClownBaby

Standard pen seems to be 4x4 enclosed area of adobe bases or stone blocks.  The corners are gooseberry bushes and then they have another "wall" sticking out diagonally so sheep can't walk from the enclosure over the bush to freedom.

Fences and gates are the more "standard" way, but are really expensive at 2 long straight shafts per.  Probably not worth it until late game when you have horses and carts to source all the branches.

#13 2018-11-20 13:37:03

Anshin

You should let the sheep free-roam and build a tiny pen around the carrot patch.
Sheep don't really wander off much, and sheep only eat carrots patches.
That way uses up way less resources and gets your town to shepherding and compost much faster.

#14 2018-11-20 13:56:30

Korilian

Anshin wrote:

You should let the sheep free-roam and build a tiny pen around the carrot patch.
Sheep don't really wander off much, and sheep only eat carrots patches.
That way uses up way less resources and gets your town to shepherding and compost much faster.

Huh. That’s an interesting idea. It would be neat if we could use dogs to sheppard sheep actually. Do they actually have a purpose now?

#15 2018-11-20 18:35:14

pein

ClownBaby wrote:

Standard pen seems to be 4x4 enclosed area of adobe bases or stone blocks.  The corners are gooseberry bushes and then they have another "wall" sticking out diagonally so sheep can't walk from the enclosure over the bush to freedom.

Fences and gates are the more "standard" way, but are really expensive at 2 long straight shafts per.  Probably not worth it until late game when you have horses and carts to source all the branches.

standard is 3x3 or 5x5 or 7x7
odd, so  we can make a middle entrance/rail in it

the corner entrances suck, much harder to dig out and extend, just don't put 4 entrances, 2 is enough, sheep no longer blocks, and if yo usher on corner you deserve your fate, with front entrance 2 bushes you need to shear 3 to get blocked

you put pen anyway facing to town and back side is to dump bones
but some of us extends it so don't put 4 corner entrances

the 5x5 is decent, especially if swapped with boxes on some parts, or just a megamutonator extension

sheared sheep doesn't leave biome so try to find a small biome for the pen
AYwm2rq.png same as this horses

you can also make hardened rows instead of adobe or bell base
which only costs some soil, which you would plant anyway and always plant back with hardened row leaving crops
corn, squash, beans, cabbage, potato
it's a lot of work and lot of tilling to block 2 sides with hardened row/bushes, but people d it anyway, you only need 5x5 boards and stew plants 90 degree to berry farm, then just 2 wall sides and its open, later just plant more stuff behind walls and remove walls
two lines of squash 2 beans and 1 line of corn, or all just corn, popcorn would improve on overeating loss, and newbees can do that

also build it on the jungle, fill all tiles with items, that forces mosquitos out of the pen, once the entrances are done, they cannot enter either

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2018-11-20 20:23:37

betame

lionon wrote:

So i guess one major breaking point of many villages is the lack of building a pen early enough?

Is there an update to date guide for early pens? (Like building them from oven based, or can you make them from graves?)

Pein's got a really good guide up here

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#17 2018-11-20 20:37:58

Catfive

mikekchar wrote:

I don't really play the game very much, but I was wondering along a similar line.  It seems like villages are doomed to die out until players get a bit more experience.  However, it seems completely feasible to wait out the die off by surviving outside of town.  I was thinking of trying to start a satellite village that analysed the likely failure mode of the town and built what will be necessary to  restart the town.  Then by stealing (um... borrowing) manufactured goods from the town, you could have a kind of easy "re-Eve run".  Even if you are male, I wonder how easy it would be to convince a female to hang out with you to wait out the inevitable die off in the big city.  You'd want to be far enough away that the average noob wouldn't want to immigrate, but close enough that you could convince someone fertile to settle down there when you were close to death.

Probably this idea appeals to be because I'm not a big fan of multi-player games :-)  I like doing my own thing and any excuse to get away from the crowd appeals to me (IRL too).  However, I really wonder whether it would work...

sattelite villages work well. if you are completely overrun with noobs it might be a good plan then inherit the ruins later smile I often forage away for years on end if it's complete chaos

Board footer