One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-30 17:54:20

The_Anabaptist

Meta thoughts - Sheep and Carrots

Why do we build sheep pens?  I realize that they eat carrot rows.  Would it not make more sense to fence in a group of carrot plots and let the sheep wander about the rest of town?

Benefits:
1) A smaller area would need to be fenced in to protect a few plots of carrots.  As long as the carrots are tended to, you should still outproduce the lamb feed requirements for town.
2) Potentially more sheep wandering around town.  Anytime a fluffy sheep wanders near the bakery, shear it (leaving the fleece with it) to keep it in place.  Then when you need meat, kill it there rather than haul it's meat there.

I'm thinking a 3 x 3 area: 6 plots of tilled land, and either: 1 tile for well & 2 tiles open or 3 tiles open, for bowl/bucket and a basket or drop pad for dirt.  1 tilled land is always the seed for the next 5 tilled lands.

Convince me otherwise!

The_Anabaptist

#2 2018-12-30 18:04:57

CrazyEddie

Re: Meta thoughts - Sheep and Carrots

Loose animals are clutter.

Clutter is death.

#3 2018-12-30 18:22:02

Fae

I can tell you a big reason. The town is cluttered. I'm about to starve and I am working, so I put the object I'm holding down in a free space...only for the sheep to move into it. Now I have to run off and find another place to sit my object on - only to starve because of sheep being EVERYWHERE. It has actually happened to me before in many different towns that thought they were being cute to let the sheep free from their pens.

And you can try and say 'lol don't clutter then' but you can't stop what other players do. It is going to happen.

#4 2018-12-30 18:48:48

The_Anabaptist

Ok, I will recognize that random movement is a negative.  But again, if the majority of the sheep are immobilized because their fleece has been left in the tile with them, then isn't this free range sheep manageable? 

I'm not convinced, keep it coming!

The_Anabaptist

#5 2018-12-30 18:52:08

Potjeh

Keeping poop contained in pen makes composting much easier.

#6 2018-12-30 19:57:09

Lotus

The sheep are clutter. Eves who spawned into half-despawned towns have it pretty bad regarding sheep. They are everywhere. They get in the way of your tasks. And if they’re not in the town, they wander off, really far, too far for you to access them. You don’t want to run fifty tiles back and forth with a shovel and shears trying to make pads and compost. A pen just keeps everything organized. Big cities don’t need more clutter than there already is.

#7 2018-12-30 20:04:11

lionon

There are several reasons for the sheep pen instead of the carrot fence:

* With a pen you easily determine how many unsheared sheep there are, having them roam freely it is a difficult call if you actually want to be sensible player not shearing the last sheep.
* You know where to find poop
* You know where to find fleece
* When killing sheep, you can put a horse-cart on a fence in or around the pen, putting all the mutton in it.

#8 2018-12-30 20:12:44

Fae

There is no convincing you if you simply choose to be stubborn. Lionon makes a great point up above too. Everyone here has.

#9 2018-12-30 20:42:14

lionon

PS: I think it's all cool to question the way things are done, "because we always done them so", but when the arguments for it make sense, then it's better to admit defeat on that challenge.

#10 2018-12-30 21:25:08

Greep

1) If the tiny amount of time it takes to make a decent sized pen for sheep is too much, you're getting to sheep too fast.  People seriously rush composting when they don't need to.  My advice is never make a sheep pen:  Someone else will always do it too early for you.

2) Your other mistake is thinking that sheep will "just wander in the general area and you sheer them when convenient"  They don't.  Have fun with all of your sheep being in the jungles 10 miles away or when 3 sheep derp around your smithery.  You can't just sheer all the sheep or you will run out of sheep.  You can't just sheer all but one, or it might wander off.  You can't just sheer all but two or three or you will have dead lambs everywhere.

3) Biggest mistake with nearly every meta-breaking invention:  You're assuming the next generation will take your advice on how to deal with the invention.  They will not.   Even if you tell them how.  In painstaking detail.  They will do the opposite immediately in comical fashion.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-30 21:35:57)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#11 2018-12-30 23:10:20

Jk Howling

While most everybody else in this thread has addressed the obvious reasons, I might add on:

You're assuming that people will just leave the shorn sheep with its fleece and not immediately grab it to do whatever they want to do with it. A shorn sheep with its fleece on the ground will be ignored for maybe ten seconds at best before someone comes along to stow it away or use it for an apron/thread.

And another thing you didn't consider is the mess of dead lambs and dung that'll clutter the entire town thanks to your freeroaming sheep. Not to mention their AI has them target people, similar to bears but without the deadliness. That free tile you were about to set something down in? Nope there's a sheep there now.

Lastly, there's also the matter that I saw mentioned briefly earlier of not being able to accurately tell how many sheep there are. Chances are people would end up shearing or killing them all- if only to stop the dead-lamb spam, or because they didn't know that was the last sheep, etc.

Overall it's just not a very good idea. You have to make a pen either way. It's better in the long run to simply take the extra time to make a larger one for sheep, rather than a small one for carrots.

-Has ascended to better games-

#12 2018-12-30 23:16:03

GreatShawn

Sheep will just keep dropping off babies, and they die. Makes a lot of clutter of corpses.

#13 2018-12-31 00:24:44

pein

Free range never worked as they follow people and disturb, also the movement will be mostly north, and they go far away from camp and on a generation switch people wont find it. Messes up smithing and everything which is time sensitive.

You can in theory rope lambs, take them out, feed them, wait them to grow fleece, which is 30 sec or 10 steps, then shear, they wont leave the biome when naked, there is no point havign naked inside the pen anyway and if u kill near bakery it saves on transport, but needs experienced shepard. also you can build one of the O shape berry farms i did, have a door on it and let the sheared out.

- you need to place berries on warm tiles, that saves up to 3-4x on noobs, babies and elders, they eat less, need less soil, need less water, u got more time, half the population just talks and does nothing, that can be easily 50% saving on food if the berry farm is on jungle
-take soil to water, not water to soil, also make cistern in jungle, you can farm carrots, milkweed and other stuff elsewhere
-never make SMALL sheep pen, also never make it randomly,
-oven near pen, not pen near oven, there is no benefit of putting down the oven, i know 80% of people want to be baker and they never gather firewood and they never haul the meat but they steal all the baskets, make the damn oven near the pen, it will be more efficient than hauling all the meat to baker
-the muflon produces lambs and cant be sheared, you need the muflon locked up somewhere, and a few free tiles, also some grave/box as a wall so you can store dead lambs, that way you can take out all other sheep and let it lose inside a tiny biome and kill them when you need the meat

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-12-31 03:47:04

The_Anabaptist

*Laughs* Alright Alright I yield!  Good to know how sheep tracking works.  Always thought them getting in the way in the pen was due to the confined space, not their coded nature.

The_Anabaptist

#15 2018-12-31 21:21:19

ruanna

Additionally - the position of the sheep pen makes it easy to find certain things. A shovel should always be next to sheep pen, and also the spindle, knitting needles, and needles with thread.

#16 2019-01-02 01:30:46

Miyu

Gotta agree. Everyone that I've run into has always had things like knitting needles and spindles next to the sheep pen. Every time I see free range sheep, trying to find these items is always difficult, as people are constantly moving them around to chase the sheep, and often, losing them.

You can find me playing as "Eve Wooliver" when possible, in honour of my favorite family line.

Noteable lives: (Female) Melody Wooliver, Ashley Gayheart || (Male) Ellen II (Luna)

Board footer