One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-07 21:07:37

MultiLife

Re: Are all these babies really needed?

More about Atticus' life: I raised all my kids and probably every other lady did too. Yes the camp was screwed, but when the situation peaked with 22 females alive in the lineage, I camped further north with my babies and raised them there, eating cacti and wild foods while making useful stuff (like tools and pump kits=kindling packs) and dropped them to the camp for those who stuck in the camp during the peak. I told all my kids that the camp is south but it's crowded and that they'll die to starvation if they go there. Most kids listened and stayed with me until I decided we can go see how it's coming along - I made sure they had baskets full of food before we went, and I showed cacti spots along the way so they can run back to them if the camp is a death trap.

At the start of Atticus' life we had quite a healthy number of females:
53La6a4.png

Then it peaked with 22 females in total during my fertile years.

And yet this is how it was in the end:
pHo4W7F.png

So it balanced itself out perfectly. Yes some resources got exhausted due to the jump in population, but the most clever girls knew when to take off and avoid famine, and came back when it was more stable. Newbies and farm-relying people starved away which made room for farm to recover.
You don't have to abandon or kill kids. You can, it's fine, but as long as you have smart girls, they'll make it. High population doesn't mean death sentence for sure.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2696947 (last girl died to rattle snake)

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-02-07 21:15:08)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#27 2019-02-08 05:03:00

Grim_Arbiter

Bob 101 wrote:
antking:]# wrote:
Bob 101 wrote:

Today I started testing each kid. I intentionally made a desert bonfire and placed my babies on them. Any kid with a brain would move away, Noobs would overheat and starve.

I'm willing to admit that larger towns are able to support many babies. I'll be kinder to kids in big cities but I'll still probably dump them on another female.

out of curiosity how many kids averaged were noobs?

Recently I got 2 confirmed noobs. I asked them if they were new, Both said "N" but neither was smart enough to move from fire.

Lying fucks.

Lol a literal baptism by fire

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#28 2019-02-08 15:25:01

Stylingirl

Anymore necessary fighting and insulting will result in this topic being closed and possibly bans. Please keep discussions civil.

#29 2019-02-08 18:39:11

Spoonwood

I doubt I could agree more with CrazyEddie on this one.  Others including DestinyCall have good points.

Bob, maybe you have some competentence at certain things in this game.  But, stop playing as a woman.  You are not cut out for that role at present.  Even your test for children makes for a bad idea.  Making a fire in the middle of a desert isn't good for anyone.  You have used kindling, and maybe the child just doesn't move because you have intentionally done something stupid, and they are pissed at you.  What a waste of kindling and a tool to make that fire.  Do you know about 'shift + delete' with the mod?  You never know when someone quits on you who can play well, because you were a negligent parent pissing them off.  Here's the catch: when someone uses "shift + delete" to die with the mod, the family tree says they died by starvation.  But the player didn't starve, he or she suicided for someone reason. 

Babies who run away from where their mothers leave them also might be runners, who run away to die instead of wanting to clutter up the place with their bones.  Testing babies also doesn't let anyone develop in their knowledge or skill level of the game.  And probably you did a bunch of stupid things as a baby when first learning the game.  Also, sometimes the game doesn't load quickly.  Regardless of where my skill level actually lies, I've heard the crying sound BEFORE I can see the map I don't know how many times.  So, maybe the baby didn't run because they didn't see the map.  You lose time that you could be doing other things by watching to see how children react to your tests, or even holding the baby and communicating to them where biomes lie or what might get done.  Or giving the baby a tour of the town so they can find things more easily later.  Finally, if you plan on testing children, try something going to the grassland with clothing and drop the clothing on the ground and see if the baby tries to tell you to put the clothing on them.  Oh, but you're going to be cold?  But, there can be uses of going to the grassland, since there may exist resources or wild food that can get brought back to camp to increase the colony's yum, or your yum, or bring home rocks, or show the baby what the grassland looks like so he or she might find things more easily.  See how that works?  You can end up testing the child, showing them more territory, and even bringing home something, effectively doing multiple things at once, instead of just being someone who makes a fire in the middle of a desert... a telltale sign of a newer player.

Players like you make for one reason why I have to decided to keep on running if I see a decent spot next to a snowbank.  Someone will mess it up somehow beyond the difficulty of already living near a tundra, whether it be with multiple snowmen in bad spots, or "snowball abortions" when you could have just refused to pick any children up, which doesn't cost any time or food.

And again, stop being a mom with your attitude.  Or at least for a while until you quit with your snowball abortions and the like.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-02-08 18:45:12)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#30 2019-02-08 18:40:34

Spoonwood

Thanks Multilife!  That was very interesting to read!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#31 2019-02-08 19:07:57

MultiLife

Spoonwood wrote:

Thanks Multilife!  That was very interesting to read!

No problem! Glad to hear it was read. It was just such a great example of what happens when ladies keep babies; if Gen 2 can survive with 22 females, so can any other place. big_smile Just be smart - and many are, we don't see or hear it often but many girls take opportunities to get a satellite town going if things get crowded.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#32 2019-02-13 15:45:42

stew

Bob 101 wrote:

Recently I got 2 confirmed noobs. I asked them if they were new, Both said "N" but neither was smart enough to move from fire.

Lying fucks.

Just saying something, if my mom puts me somewhere sometimes I just stay there and do some other stuff outside the game for a few minutes.
Going to ideal temp, while I usually do this - most times there is no use of it anyway as my mom picks my up too early when I am still nearly full - wasting her own foodbar.
So.. of course if I get born to an Eve and we are on the run, I will keep attention to the game, but if it's in a camp, I usually don't pay much attention the first few minutes. If you put me on an extra hot or extra cold temp it's possible I don't realize in time because I just didn't expect my mom to be a danger to me..

#33 2019-02-13 17:43:02

Ellesanna

This whole drama/problem could easily be avoided if there was some form of birth control available in game so that overpopulation is not an issue. I don't want to have kids if I am focused on hunting or scouting and my sister already has five living kids. Having children makes doing certain tasks harder and does put a strain on food sources. Even with the world's most dedicated baker, you can run out of both soil and water because one of your kids broke the shovel or killed all the sheep.
If players had more control, like in real life, over how many kids they have and when, the overpopulation issue would be more easily dealt with and you wouldn't have to be put in the dilemma of 'do I keep this kid and potentially ease my town closer to starving to death or keep it for more workers?"

#34 2019-02-14 11:58:48

golmock

When is shortage of food in the town, kids should be given up to control the population.
But in most situations except this, I value and enjoy talking to my child as a mother.
And i check my child is a new player and ask if he wants to learn.
I taught many noob players!
If the child is a old player, shows what the village needs and what we have.
Because OHOL has a very narrow vision, it is very important to tell children where and what is.
If an adult woman is around the baby at all times, people can take the baby and reduce the waste of food.
And i can also protect my baby from the kidnapper.
That's why I think it's more efficient for the mother to be around the baby, unless it's a desperate situation without food and hands in the village.

!eve painter! You will have a color name.
I can teach you if i'm not busy. just talk to me.

#35 2019-02-14 17:14:01

Booklat1

Ellesanna wrote:

This whole drama/problem could easily be avoided if there was some form of birth control available in game so that overpopulation is not an issue. I don't want to have kids if I am focused on hunting or scouting and my sister already has five living kids. Having children makes doing certain tasks harder and does put a strain on food sources. Even with the world's most dedicated baker, you can run out of both soil and water because one of your kids broke the shovel or killed all the sheep.
If players had more control, like in real life, over how many kids they have and when, the overpopulation issue would be more easily dealt with and you wouldn't have to be put in the dilemma of 'do I keep this kid and potentially ease my town closer to starving to death or keep it for more workers?"

There is birth control, but both ways of doing it include food. You can keep yourself cold or hot, but you'll waste your foodbar a lot faster (which defeats the purpose of having no babies to focus on work). Intead you can keep your yum pretty low, even 0, if you have mutton pies and a bag/apron you'll be fine and probably have no babies.

And I'd like to point out ohol hasn't yet reached contemporary times so birth control, sexual education and (what really matters in this game) contraception is not a thing of this current technology tier. Though arguably traditional societies have of course had some measures to influence female pregnancy historically, do we really just want added a generic herb item that reduces spawn chance or cooldowns you?

#36 2019-02-14 18:06:05

CrazyEddie

Keeping bad temperature and low yum works great to keep away babies, as long as the game population is stable or falling.

When the game population is rising, everyone gets maximum babies regardless of yum or temp.

#37 2019-02-14 20:01:53

Ellesanna

Booklat1 wrote:
Ellesanna wrote:

There is birth control, but both ways of doing it include food. You can keep yourself cold or hot, but you'll waste your foodbar a lot faster (which defeats the purpose of having no babies to focus on work). Intead you can keep your yum pretty low, even 0, if you have mutton pies and a bag/apron you'll be fine and probably have no babies.

And I'd like to point out ohol hasn't yet reached contemporary times so birth control, sexual education and (what really matters in this game) contraception is not a thing of this current technology tier. Though arguably traditional societies have of course had some measures to influence female pregnancy historically, do we really just want added a generic herb item that reduces spawn chance or cooldowns you?

There was a really effective birth control back in the day before contemporary times. Ya wanna know what it was? Abstinence. Even back in ancient times people were able to put two and two together and realized that not having sex= no babies (except that one time with Mary, God Bless!).  Now, OHOL is different from real life as all women in the game reproduce asexually without the help of men, so this couldn't be implemented. As for me, would I want an herb or plant i could eat in game that would at the least greatly decrease the liklihood of my popping out a kid? YES. Nothing sucks more than going out in the wilderness for whatever reason and popping out a kid that you have to abandon. When I am eve-ing and am already hauling a kid around I don't want to birth another that I am then forced to abandon. Because abandoning kids suck and being abandoned sucks and I've been at both ends. If there were a way to prevent this or decrease the liklihood even more I would take it in a  heartbeat. Do you know how many towns I've been in with 7+ fertile women just pumping out baby after baby after baby? Too many times and for the past couple days, every town I've been born has had this exact problem with the exception of one due to the population getting wiped by a duo bear attack with a knife stabbing griefer.
I can kind of see where you're coming from but the current 'birth control' in game, if it can even be called that, doesn't really operate that well if at all. I don't mess around with yum hardly at all and the times I did in the past were for really long trips. Now I can't even use it for that without getting shat on with fifteen kids. Even with no yum and being cold as balls I still. get. kids.

#38 2019-02-14 20:48:55

Lily

To answer the original question, yes you do them all. You say it is a waste to raise children who just die early, but that is why you need a bunch, since so many die early. You can figure 3 out of 4 children are not going to make it to adulthood, so having eight is likely to result in just 2 adults, maybe 3 if you are lucky.

The one thing you need to remember is that children are extremely cheap to raise from a food perspective, and they are not a drain on resources until they start eating on their own. Next to a fire you can raise a child from birth until they can no long breast feed off a single berry. That is nothing. What you are really wasting is time, since you are standing there with your baby and not doing anything else productive. However, it doesn't really matter if you are raising one baby or five, since you are already standing around any way. So if you are going to raise one baby, it doesn't really hurt to raise a ton at once.

If you can get a child to go and add soil and water a bush before they die, they already pay for them self. If you get a child to make a pie before they die, they basically pay for themselves and all their siblings. That is why teaching is really important while raising children. If you just teach them to do something, anything useful, they will easily pay their way.

#39 2019-02-15 01:10:39

Eclipciz

CrazyEddie wrote:

Every baby that is run by a good player will be a net asset to the town. Every baby run by a bad player will be a drain on the town's resources.

The number of babies is irrelevant to your stated ends. There's zero reason to kill babies "because we have too many".

You just like exercising dominance.

Bruh moment.

Let's just say there's a lot more bad players who drain resources than good players that benefit to resources. So if you have 10 babies, there's a lot higher chance of it being bad than good because there's more bad than good.

So yes, the number DOES matter, and I feel like you don't really care about overpopulation or think it doesn't exist. So yes, there is a reason to kill babies because there "are too many" because you will get more bad players than good players.

And besides, babies are god awful when low on general resources.

Edit: It's usually not okay to kill babies who are smart and go to warm areas without you moving them there yourself because that's a sign of them not being bad...

Last edited by Eclipciz (2019-02-15 01:11:52)

Ethical Killing
One Step One Life
One At A Time

#40 2019-02-15 01:54:14

Peremptive

As mentioned by others, randomly starving kids in a functioning town is just cruel. You can't really know if someone is going to help later over a few seconds, especially since babies can't really communicate or might be having a slow load. If they don't communicate at all though I will abandon them. If they move around and don't communicate, even worse. If you are running out of food, you don't always have enough wild food sources nearby, so I don't think it is a real alternative most of the time, and sacrificing babies can be reasonable. When the bushes get overwhelmed, so does composting, and any compost being made ends up getting used on the graying berries, starting a vicious cycle of starvation and lack of soil.

Many of the issues discussed with people feeding babies in towns is because moms almost never take the time to educate. That noob that keeps feeding berries to babies, if not a griefer, was probably abandoned as a baby a bunch of times and never even learned how to take care of the berry farm, he doesn't even realize the cost of what he is doing. I see lots of people who just stand around, not sure what to do in bigger cities. They think everything is being handled when a few people might be racing to restore stability. A lot of people seem to just complete the tutorial by going in the snake pit and then have no clue how to do anything in a town other than eat.

Anyways, when having a baby I always need them to talk so I can see they are responsive. I tell them about not eating until four-five tiles empty, and that foods other than berries give more pips. I then tell them berries are only for little kids, old people and sheep and to make other foods when they get older. I hold them when going to get food and show them where stew, pies etc are. Even if they say they are not new I still ask if they want to learn anything when they become three. If you do it this way some people try to learn how to make stew or pies.

If a baby misbehaves in any way though, I will very easily abandon. I will put them at a good tile and tell them not to move because it means more food required for me, if they don't follow them screw them. If someone doesn't say thanks or ask to help at all I usually get suspicious, but it is too late by then.

#41 2019-02-15 02:16:04

Tarr
Banned

Eclipciz wrote:

Bruh moment.

Let's just say there's a lot more bad players who drain resources than good players that benefit to resources. So if you have 10 babies, there's a lot higher chance of it being bad than good because there's more bad than good.

So yes, the number DOES matter, and I feel like you don't really care about overpopulation or think it doesn't exist. So yes, there is a reason to kill babies because there "are too many" because you will get more bad players than good players.

And besides, babies are god awful when low on general resources.

Edit: It's usually not okay to kill babies who are smart and go to warm areas without you moving them there yourself because that's a sign of them not being bad...

But who actually dies in a famine? Noobs and new players. If you are dumb enough to stand around and put yourself at risk when resources get low like that you deserve to be caught with your pants down. You can pretty much raise all your kids and when famine hits and let the smart people wander off to survive while all the unskilled/new players starve in the center of town. Yeah you'll have more bushes to fix + skeletons to clean up but it's no different when someone lures a bear to town.

All the people who can't/won't listen end up dead while anyone who knows how to play will survive these situations. I almost never think it's the right call to just kill babies unless they're either giving bad vibes (racist babies, babies who can't sit still, babies that won't let you name), greedy babies (babies who constantly jump from hands to grab at things better put on adults like bp's or aprons), or potentially afk babies. If you got even a small amount of food you can raise a kid for three minutes and it'll either die like an idiot (thus removing itself anyway) or it'll grow up to be useful.

fug it’s Tarr.

#42 2019-02-15 04:55:54

betame

I'm accustom to the 'let live and let die' strategy like Tarr.

BUT
I've been thinking: maybe the new player experience would be much better if babies were scarce.

Instead of the OP's meaning of the title, I'm talking capping babies at ~5. Spend more time with each child until they can take care of themselves. Turn the focus of the game back toward what makes it unlike any other game: successful players spawn other players. Imagine the first few games we all had where we starved getting food out of a basket. What if our mom traveled with us and covered us until we got the hang of things. Overall, the faster that fresh players are taught, the smaller the proportion of incompetent players there will be.

I don't think this change would turn the game into a parenting simulator. If we spent twice as much time teaching new players, then we'd have essentially half as many new players --- the time we spend overall wouldn't change much. But the amount of personal attention, connectedness, and influence we have in the game would skyrocket.

--in my attempts, when I've tried to teach and care for all my kids into adolescence, the only thing stopping me is my birth rate. Sure I could kill some of my babies, but lowering the baby cap would create a cultural shift that would help everyone and the longevity of the player base.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

Board footer