One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-03 18:44:44

Chimera

Block/Avoidance System

I will start off by saying that I bought this game a few days ago, so I'm considered a noob and I'm deliciously proud of it. I also play with my friend, who also bought the game the same time I bought it and we play together a lot.

Blah
- No we do not grief.
- Yes we are willing to learn.
- No we do not die in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of items on us.

But
- Yes we do get randomly stabbed by mothers.
- Yes we do get left to starve because "ew twins"

The Excuse
- Ew twins.
- Twins griefers.
- Twin trolls don't feed them.
- Eve, sorry.

For me the only excuse on that list that is valid is "Eve, sorry." Because I completely understand that an Eve without anything most likely won't be able to feed both twins, build up with two kids, and have enough food for everyone should there not be another close food source. Now for the other excuses. Got it, you don't like twins. Great, it doesn't mean I don't have the right to play because of your jaded behavior. We spent our $20 as well to enjoy the game. How is anyone going to decide that me and my friend are griefers when we haven't even gotten the chance to play yet, same with the "troll" excuse. How do you tag a label on anyone that hasn't gotten the chance to play with you yet? It makes no sense.

This idea of griefing other people to stop griefing is convoluted & foolish.
All you do is create resentment in other players that just want to play the game to the point where they get stabbed every 4 spawns that eventually they are just going to say screw it and start becoming the troll that everyone fears. You are creating your own enemy. I made the point in the discord earlier that it is irrational to kill, starve, abandon everyone that has a friend. Yes, I did say it like that. This is the only game that I have played where having a friend makes you a "troll" or "out to grief" by default. Imagine in a game about being related, building relationships, and creating more family...people are "trolls" for having friends, and wanting to share that with them.

It would be like me going: I'm sorry officer I killed that man that was walking on the sidewalk near my house because I'm afraid of getting robbed.

Like....what?

Okay I'm done with that point now, sorry.

So here is my suggestion:
- Blocking players.

Yep, simple as that. If you stab a child, I as the player of that child should be able to block said person and never get them as a parent again. Blocking should not go both ways, meaning that only the kid can block the mother, not the other way around simply because someone made a good point that griefers will just block people playing with friends without even knowing if they are actually a troll before hand. Also it is the child that is wasting their time spawning in, waiting to be fed, and not able to defend themselves / forced to die only to get stabbed by some ptsd fueled jaded player.

Why? Because you are actively griefing and it's the type of griefing that chases away new players from the game. The type of griefing that makes the community look terrible from a first look. The type of griefing that's the exact same as the people destroying an entire city. Yes, the guy stabbed the last woman that could have kids. So you go to a new town and stab a bunch of kids? And grief in return? The cycle has begun, now those kids are going to grow up and either suck it up, come to the forums and try to find respite about this small group of people that grief to try to stop griefing....or they quit, or become griefers themselves.

Now because I'm one for balance and understand it's not fair just to leave people blocked for the rest of their online existence, I would suggest that it kind of works like Overwatch's avoid system but in the respect that the block list only wipes with the server wipe, to kind of see if people have changed their bad behavior.

The other suggestion is that kids that are injured or starved (intentionally because "twins bad"), at the reborn screen the children are given the option of cursing someone in the village or a blanket curse across the entire village. If a child is stabbed it is an automatic curse of 2/3 towards the person who did the killing to try to curb this behavior. If they are intentionally starved, meaning birthed by fire, with adults that can care for children around them it's a blanket curse of 1 for everyone. There should be consequences for doing this behavior. Because people should not have to NOT play games with their friends because other people lose their mind at the idea of people having friends.

Also I do recognize that griefing groups are a thing so if they do, do something like stab someone it's an instant donkey town teleport for everyone for six hours. Do not pass go, do not collect $100. IF you are playing in a group you have to be more responsible. I also suggest increasing the curse power of elders in the village. "In their immense knowledge" type of reward for being so darn old in a village, and I would imagine if someone is ancient in a village they probably honestly care about it and wouldn't willynilly curse someone. So give them a curse level of two or three.

I don't know, it's kind of a loose idea from getting irrupted from being left to die/stabbed/starved so many times.

I know I missed some things, so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Chimera (2019-04-03 18:49:19)

#2 2019-04-03 21:23:26

pein

Re: Block/Avoidance System

this game was quite hard until we became better at it, like not even jason knew how to play it, just nerfed it time by time based on how people do ingame

it were a lot of unskilled moms who raised you up until age 2.5 and you starved right before you could  grab things
lot of times you dont  have enough food to sustain someone, or the city is in a terrible shape, or you know the server pop is low so you dont want boys . dunno but nowadays i always see cities, back before we were more spread out and every 2nd life was an eve run. you would join 10 lifes and everyone abandoned you or the females died before making any substantial

ofc in cities you can afford to raise everyone

twins often become griefers and they just have too easy way of ruining others experience, kill them, curse them and get away with it
soem new players act as griefers, like why would i trust 2 twins to snowball a griefer, why do they even do it? why dont just report to me, the person with knife with the highest apm in camp that someone is hiding food? or why would kids get all anal about cause someone is calling them names? because they searching for excuses to not work
you are a kid you dont call others names even if they do, you go and do some work

its just when every life twins grab weapons at age 8 start murdering your females and then curse you, you dont want to deal with that shit anymore, im pretty sure some new moms will raise you
its not your choice, and goes like that for pro players too ,we played like 10 games until a mom raised us and we basically did everything from eve level.

cursing system sux, im pretty sure the people who curse most often are the biggest problems for the community
they live for drama and they think they are special kind of eggs, pretending they are heroes and they care, in reality they just leaching on others and they dont like when someone has a problem with it
grow a thick skin, if they are right it doesnt matter how they say it, lot of things seem rude for a newbee

but what about the 100th time explaining something to someone new that how bad it is? like building roads everywhere or small buildings or expanding berry field? no i havent did any of that cause i didnt messed around things i didnt understood, and havent considered myself equal to the veterans back then, and i had some respect towards them, and i never mess others work up, some people just got very bad double standards

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-04-03 21:27:00

Bob 101

I think the "Eve, Sry" excuse has some validitiy. Babies are difficult as starting Eve because you have to raise them alone which slows down camp building.

But as a tip, Separate at birth and act like singles. One of you run to a different mother and they will think you're an abandoned baby. Not all people are fooled by this so sometimes it's better to just be singles and meetup in a town.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-03 21:39:08)

#4 2019-04-03 22:10:23

Greep

20190222195849-1.jpg
20190222195858-1.jpg

Regarding your analogy, It's more like "sorry officer, I killed that man walking by my house because we have a town where 80% of people that walk by houses murder and rape the inhabitants"

Twinning is just the biggest tool of griefers atm.  You can cause more than twice the damage with two people, and allowing one bad set of twins can wreck a town.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#5 2019-04-03 22:22:59

Jk Howling

I feel bad for your plight, I truly do. Not all twins are griefers, and it sucks that we have to punish innocents to avoid the guilty. In some cases, bad seeds can affect the entire crop, and it's unfortunate that this is currently the case.

What's upsetting is that, this will continue to be the case, until Jason takes action to nerf twins so they no longer are capable of griefing as easily as they do. Currently, I suppose he doesn't see it as an issue, or at least, not one that's very important. But it definitely should be important to him that players are being driven away from his game, due to the mechanics that allow these bad seeds to do what they do.

For the time being, I'd suggest joining the official discord. There's currently a few players willing to keep twins if they verify who they are on the discord, so that we have a better idea if they're griefers or not. It's not really a solution, but currently it's all we've really got.

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2019-04-03 23:46:02

BlueDiamondAvatar

When I first started playing the game, I suggested that Jason add a mechanic that automatically adds curses to people who kill multiple children under the age of three.  It never got any attention.

Donkey Town and the ability to send people to donkey town with curses has been getting a bit stronger, but as I told you in discord...the greifers have been out in force in the last few weeks.  Check the forums for topics on how to use a pit bull to kill a town, and a new discord server being set up for OHOL griefers. 

I do like your idea of blocking players, so that you won't be born as their child again.  There are several moms I wish I could have blocked -- I'm always on the lookout for the evil laugh of that mom that scooted me out of town to stab me as a child.  It would impact the fertility of certain players over the long term.  Some players might blanket block everyone - because they like to play as Eve.  But maybe you can only have ten players on your block list, so it never keeps you from having a random town life.

I have been twinning today and had no bad experiences.  No one tried to stab us, or kill us.  But both myself and my twin are experienced players.  There are subtle ways to show your mom and aunties that you are a good baby.  Don't move unless asked to follow or come.  Say "HI".  Don't whistle overmuch.  Grin and emote as they talk to you.

Also - I've seen some older twins dying in the middle of town as a pair a couple of times today.  Don't know if that's you and your friend or not, but... FYI, it is much better to leave your bones on the outskirts of town than in the middle of the nursery.  Bones in the nursery are bad for fertility.

Welcome to OHOL!  I hope you will stay in spite of our greifer infestation.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

Board footer