One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-07 11:15:22

sigmen4020

Holy smokes people don't like starter camps

I just came back from a life with some frustration. I was born in a pretty advanced town. i thought it was gonna be fine until I heard the murders begin. I didn't understand the reason of these murders until the last male was murdered and the females proclaiming their victory. Apparently the females in this town were turning this town into a female only town. I didn't want any part of that, so I set out on my own and I started walking far away from town with only a bowl of berries (collecting the bowl so I could start farming right away).

Later on I found a fairly good spot, next to a green biome with plenty of milkweed and saplings, a swamp with plenty of ponds and relatively close to a big savannah. I started of farming carrots to get a lot of early game food before getting a berry farm going. By the time I got my first child I had a reasonable camp set up. But alas almost all of my children suicided, some even suicided so fast that I didn't even get the chance to pick them up putting me on a cooldown I couldn't have avoided. Only one kid stayed, but she died early on because she didn't bring food with her on her trip to the swamp. Then I turned forty with no kids alive and proceeded to try to head back to the town I ran from. I didn't find the town, but instead found what I think were twins doing the same thing I tried. I tried to communicate with them but they weren't very talkative. The end of my life was spent trying to help them even though the could have chosen a better spot (a swamp with plenty of ponds were nearby, but they chose to stay relatively far away from them). In the end I didn't learn much from them since they mostly ignored me unless I made something for them, which got a "ty" in response.

This is my family tree(note all the SIDs):

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4026597

So what is it that makes people so scared of starter camps(even though it's in a decent spot), that they SID en masse? Or was I just unlucky?

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-04-07 11:15:56)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#2 2019-04-07 11:17:50

YannaChan
Banned

Re: Holy smokes people don't like starter camps

Most people just like advanced towns, it does give them a better chance at survival.

#3 2019-04-07 11:18:36

futurebird

Same happened to me when I tried something similar. They hate to hear there is a town but you don't want to go there. Even if it's a decent reason.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-04-07 12:02:45

Baker

But I still get tons of suicides in advanced town, People hate everywhere lol. No matter the situation, all the thoughtless suiciding does get frustrating after awhile.

I'd like to know how these people can make the decision to suicide within half a second, Guess it could be premeditated suicide if they are going for a specific place.

I guess everybody always gunning for Eve or their favorite city, kind of concerning how few people like to give random places a chance.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#5 2019-04-07 12:21:29

sigmen4020

futurebird wrote:

Same happened to me when I tried something similar. They hate to hear there is a town but you don't want to go there. Even if it's a decent reason.

Glad you mentioned that because my first born decided to suicide as soon as I told that I left the big town because they were killing males, when she asked me where home was.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-04-07 12:51:40

Amon

Everyone RN wants to try out clothes. Give it some time I think.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-04-07 14:28:19

Villas

I have some problems near town camps. I got murdered more than five times as a toddler when I asked “town where”, generally those people act like crazy. So I only stay in a camp like that when my mother is reasonable (like you). I wouldn’t say with the twins for instance. And also, when someone steal a cart full of tools to start a camp, I just suicide and try to reset her cooldown if it’s possible, because I had problems in the past with people stealing pies, carts and tools to start a camp and they kept going back to steal pies without bringing plates back. But taking a bowl, even three bowls is ok. I think people is just scared of camps, because, generally, the camp starter is so egoistical that’s peanut worth spending one hour helping her. But it’s jut a hypothesis, because I’m not sure if it happens to someone else.

#8 2019-04-07 15:02:01

Chimera

I suicide if the town is too advanced, I actually like Eve camps and start towns. I dislike getting into Bell town or CC town. Too big, but some people don't like challenge and that's okay. Just wish there was an option that they could click like "no eve," or something like that. Would spare the Eve the frustration of everyone doing the /die on her and give her a pool of people that don't mind starter camps.

#9 2019-04-07 16:13:24

pein

well in my perspective:
i hate to hear that there is a town but you don't want to go there cause you are afraid
and i hate the part where you think is ok that you have clothes but all your kids are naked
and you cant even make a sheep pen
i generally don't care about lineage killers, i can get rid of them
they cant find a camp 200 tiles away, but you can go back to get some tools, needles and yarns at least

so yeah, a bad pseudo eve is worse than an eve run

and last time i made bearIII camp become a city with tools but all noobs quit cause "reeee don't tell me what to do"
not a big ask to use 2 soil to till when i smith half hour for them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-04-08 07:34:30

Psykout

Villas wrote:

I have some problems near town camps. I got murdered more than five times as a toddler when I asked “town where”, generally those people act like crazy. So I only stay in a camp like that when my mother is reasonable (like you). I wouldn’t say with the twins for instance. And also, when someone steal a cart full of tools to start a camp, I just suicide and try to reset her cooldown if it’s possible, because I had problems in the past with people stealing pies, carts and tools to start a camp and they kept going back to steal pies without bringing plates back. But taking a bowl, even three bowls is ok. I think people is just scared of camps, because, generally, the camp starter is so egoistical that’s peanut worth spending one hour helping her. But it’s jut a hypothesis, because I’m not sure if it happens to someone else.

Had a couple children that when asking about where and how close the town was, just because they were worried about  iron. I usually scout an iron vein when attempting a offshoot camp, and find a suitable place nearby. You shouldn't need to bring a cart, plus you'd have to wait too long and just limit your distance and time before having children. A backpack and a cart is all you need. If the town is suitable for such adventure, has excess steel and newcommen/loom etc, you should be leaving with at least an axe, shovel and one bowl, but simply that is enough with a low impact. You should be going out far enough and attempting to be a completely self reliant establishment. Running back and forth to take pies is opposite of what you should be doing. Obviously if you are spawning in as a baby to a mother starting a new camp with tools, you don't know what condition she left the town doing so. It might not have been a damnable offense. All towns have to come from somewhere, and the possibility of a stable town rising from an expedition versus an eve camp is much higher. Instant suicide in attempt to mess with her baby cooldown is a little harsh, if thats what you meant, also little petty.

I don't see too many egotistical eves myself, and generalizing it to why people are shy away from startups feels off. Combinations of lack of knowledge and possibility of survival are probably more likely. If they are able to quickly asses the area around them, bad location might play a factor. Early camps do need a lot of direction and immediate actions, and there are some that don't like being told what to do or not to do. It creates some friction and they are already on razor edge, so everyone knows they are a gamble, many choose to avoid it outright. I would say that more lineages are lost by a huge margin, by player opt out, than any other causes like food shortage, griefing, lack of girls

#11 2019-04-08 07:50:53

Thaulos

I often suicide anytime there are more than 6 girls + fertiles.

My favorite lifes are on eve camps usually gen 2 to 4. You struggle, make connections with the other few people and you contributions are usually very felt.

Had great lifes on gen 2 and 3 of Rose and Ofallon this weekend and its a real pleasure to see our family descendants thrived on the long run. Even almost teared up irl when my sis older sis died. Died surronded by the ones I loved and wished them well.

Large towns are missing the struggle for the most part and the "human connection" is greatly diminuished. I hope Jason's family unit/properties can help mitigate those issues and help improve how life feels on those huge towns.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-04-08 07:52:35)

#12 2019-04-08 14:42:58

Sukallinen

Well town probably everything, hence nobody wanted to be around. And lure of even larger town prolly.
http://prntscr.com/n94stt

Hence I didn't take one of the horsecarts to grab needless piles of iron, there are some though.

Anyhow, cleaned after me once again, taught a bit-that's what is good about abandoned towns you have time to teach new players whatever they want.

Board footer