One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-26 18:10:07

sdogg2m

Noobtown Ideas and Suggestions

The learning curve in OHOL is steep. Why is this an issue? Can't someone just read the wiki or watch youtube videos? They could but they may not. There has to be in game options for improving a player's smooth transition into families. This will benefit not only new players but also veterans who get frustrated watching someone randomly click things to figure out how everything works.

The following recommendations were recently discussed on discord.
1) Improve the tutorial. The tutorial has you craft items once and then the option of smithing. It contains no where near the level of teaching to drop a player into a camp and have them work harmoniously with others.

2) Create a "Noob Town" for players with less than a specific number of hours to start at. There were several options presented as to how this can work and these players can be funneled to one of the 13 servers that never have activity. There can also be a coaching option for veteran players who want to assist those who are new.

Please Jason I ask that you give this serious consideration for those of us who love your game and want to see the player base move beyond 400 at peak times and 100 during the rest of the hours.

Please anyone who wants add your "Noob town" ideas here.

#2 2019-04-26 18:23:15

futurebird

Re: Noobtown Ideas and Suggestions

I'm always happy to teach newer players. It's a hard game to learn and that's part of the fun but a few things make it harder than it need be:

-the wiki is out of date and skimpy of info on higher tech and recently added items.
-there are not enough teaching videos, maybe a contest to get people to create them?
-Some people forget that new people join the game all the time and also forget that all of use were noobs once burning a rabbit on a steak and smithing newcommon  parts by mistake.
-I would like to swarm some of the bigger gaming youTubers and ask them to come twin with a more experienced player, maybe even Twisted. Someone like WellsKnight or one of the wholesome tech crating youTubers would be perfect.

I started playing a few months ago and it was very much like walking in to a place where everyone seemed more expert than me. It was intimidating! I was so proud when I made my first bucket and cart. Can you remember that feeling? Can you remember when you were trying to learn something and someone snatched it up and did it for you so you didn't get the chance?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-26 18:37:07

Wuatduhf

A noob town *could* possibly be good, but might run the risk of unintentionally separating the current remaining playerbase to the point that Bigserver 2 struggles to have a solid count of players cycling per town. I would think that, since the side servers generally don't see a huge amount of players, we could repurpose one of them specifically for new people to learn the game.

I would maybe even think that the client's default settings would be changed to 'Custom server' and then pointed at that noob server until the person chooses to go to the other servers available. That way, it's the default learning environment.

I believe another thing that a 'Noobtown' should feature is players always spawning within 50-100 blocks of each other. This will lead to a centralized location of play, so that you aren't then dealing with multiple towns of multiple newbies struggling to get off the ground as an Eve/2nd Gen. This particular server could reset weekly/semi-weekly, so that the town inevitably reaching Airplane status doesn't prevent them from learning the early-game.

Last edited by Wuatduhf (2019-04-26 18:37:37)

#4 2019-04-26 22:47:41

Sukallinen

I do teach basics (that's what I know) every now and then, but I think just adding being basically helpful, not burden on town is enough, rest should be taught by players in "real" situations. Or learnt.

Stuff like eat berries only at very start, it is ok to ask for help, (tutorial to compost-making and maybe even farming basics). Then new ones have enough foodbar to follow/ask for teaching. Most helpful thing I've found is to say it's ok to ask for help, it has no negative side-effects and many ppl do help/teach in the game. Mostly true.

Board footer