One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-08 02:59:13

roccaturi

KISSDB Reeses

This is a total personal anecdote, but I thought I'd share in case any of you fall into the same small niche.

In his email today, Jason mentioned that the database he's using is KISSDB. Something about the name made me look it up, which lead to the author's Github. For some reason I was expecting a commercial project, not a single-man effort. Guess I shouldn't have been surprised. But then I saw that...

KISSDB was developed by Adam Ierymenko, the guy who made Nanopond! I know this is obscure, but if you've ever dived into the A-life community, you probably have heard of this light-weight virtual petri dish. It a great little experimental evolution sandbox. So cool to see these two interesting creators connected by a bridge of open source software. It was a real "peanut butter in my chocolate" moment for me today.

Now if Jason starts talking about how he's been inspired by the Norn biochemistry from Steve Grand's Creatures, my brain is going to explode.

#2 2018-04-08 05:24:51

powa

Re: KISSDB Reeses

Creatures.  What a weird game.  My child brain couldn't quite figure out how to master that game.  The rules and mechanics were so opaque in a time before the internet was filled with wikis.  Then Creatures 2 (and 3?) came out and was totally crazy.  And all the weird content packs...  Good memories.

Board footer