One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-06 08:04:54

Hewlett

Is there any guide for water and well systems?

Hello,

I am kind of a new player, i have been playing for a couple of weeks.
In time i've been playing i undertood the importance of water for any civilization but i am unable to fully grab who this resource is managed. I have been unable to find a proper guide that explains the details. I have been checking in the forum using "water guide" and "well guide" as key words. The little information i found was quite scattered and because there have been several uptades related to well building, i dont know what information i can trust.

As I observed in the last few arcs, there is usually a single well per city, and natural springs get dry very quick, that makes complicated for new players to experiment with well, cause by the time you figure out how to build or update one, a pro player would had finish it.

Is there any guide that i missed that someone can provide?

Thanks!

#2 2019-11-06 08:56:08

DestinyCall

Re: Is there any guide for water and well systems?

I don't think there are currently any guides, because the mechanics are actively changing.    We have had multiple updates recently that over-hauled (and continue to radically change) the way that water works.

The short guide to proper water usage is as follows:

(water is precious, we are all going to die, drink milk)

Hopefully someone will come along with a more comprehensive guide eventually.   

I'm basically waiting for things to settle down a little before I try to figure out optimal strategy. 

To give you a general rundown of how the water system works (please correct me if I get something wrong), the game is currently played inside "the Rift" ... a big box ... which is occasionally reset when things go horribly wrong.  Each reset is called an Arc.    At the start of a fresh Arc, there is a grid of fresh springs and an abundance of wild resources, like wild-growing milkweed, saplings, ground iron, lots of full ponds and other things.   Over time, these resources will get depleted and eventually run out completely.   The most important resources are water/iron/oil.  Water is used to make food.   Iron is used to make tools.   Oil is used to make more water/iron (using diesel pumps), until the oil eventually runs out and then we all die.

At the beginning, you can find open water in goose ponds.   It can be taken out of ponds using a clay bowl.   These ponds eventually dry out and never refill.   You can kill them with a shovel if you are feeling angry about this.     When you run out of pond water, you need to dig deeper.    You can do this by building a well over a spring.    Making a well "taps out" nearby springs, preventing wells from being built close to each other.   That's why each village can only have one well.    There is a hard limit on how many wells are possible on the map - I have no idea what it is currently.  I think it used to be six wells, but I think that was changed.    You can find wells, by looking for a spring that says "westward gradient" or "eastward gradient".   Springs occur on a fixed grid, so if you follow the line of springs left or right, you'll eventually find the well.  If you find a "dry well" then there's a well somewhere around you, but it could be almost anywhere because the tap-out distance is large.  You'll want to search north/south until you find the gradient, then look east/west in the appropriate direction.    Once all possible wells have been constructed, any remaining springs become "thoroughly dry".  At this point, no more wells can be constructed so you are out of luck if you want to make a new camp or town.   

Once you build a shallow well, you can get water from it in the same way that you would use a goose pond.   It will eventually dry out.   At that point, you will need to upgrade it using a stanchion kit.  A stanchion kit is made by combining a bucket with a fence kit.   A fence kit is made by using an adze on a pair of straight shafts.  A bucket is made by combining wood boards, a wood disk, and a rope.  Making the parts for a bucket require a froe, mallet, and bow saw.   The deep well requires a bucket to withdraw water.   It holds more water, compared with the shallow well, but it will also go dry eventually.   At that point, you will need to build a newcomen pump.     This requires smithing skills - you will need to make wrought iron bars and form them into various parts.    Here is a quick guide for making the pump -  https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Newcomen_Pump

A recent change added the ability to store water in iron tanks, which can be stored or transported around.   Instead of using a bucket on the newcomen pump, you use the water tank.    Then you can pour the water out of the tank into a bucket.  Each water tank holds up to six buckets of water.

There is an option to convert a newcomen pump from burning charcoal to burning kerosene.  I don't think this is usually done, since there are better uses for kerosene.   Instead, when the newcomen pump goes dry, the well can be upgraded using a diesel pump.    The diesel water pump runs on kerosene and will continue to draw water as long as you have oil.   To my knowledge, this pump will never dry out, so you are limited by access to oil.

Oil is acquired from tarry spots which can be found in desert and snowy regions.   Here is a guide that describes how to make an oil rig on a tarry spot -
https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Oil_Rig    It is actually very similar to making a newcomen pump, except that you also need to make a bunch of steel pipes and tanks to hold the crude oil.   Keep in mind .. you need to run a boiler to fire an oil rig.  So you NEED water to get oil.   This means that if you wait until you are out of water to go looking for oil .. you have waited too long.   Go get oil before you run out of water or you'll regret the delay.   

Once you strike oil, you will need to refine it into kerosene.   Kerosene is used to fuel diesel engines that can run cars, planes, water pumps, and mining picks.  Obviously cars are the most important, but mining picks and water pumps are also kind of handy.   To make kerosene, you'll need to construct a fractional distiller.   Here is another guide -   https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Fr … _Distiller   Again, it requires many of the same parts as the newcomen pump and the oil rig.   Fortunately, no water required this time, just charcoal.   

The tank full of kerosene is marked with a K.   The tank full of water is marked with a W.

Since the map is limited and there are a finite number of viable tarry spots and well sites on the map, eventually we will always run out of water.    Without water, we can't farm or make pies or any of the dozens/hundreds of things that require water.  Without water, civilization collapses and things get ugly.   

Try to avoid wasting water and encourage people to produce water-efficient food and avoid using water on unnecessary things.   For example, large domestic berry farms use up a lot of water.   Wild berries don't require any water, so they are a better source of goose berries.    Don't plant too many bushes.   Instead, focus on making better foods, like whole milk, stew, mutton pies, and turkey.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-06 09:19:45)

#3 2019-11-06 08:57:59

Coconut Fruit

Water is the most important thing and yet there is no single word about it in tutorial... damn tongue
Curent well system works like this: You can only build a shallow well on a natural spring, but once 6 wells are built, all natural springs get dry - that means only 6 wells can be built on map.
When shallow well has no more water it can be upgraded to deep well. When deep well has no more water it can be upgraded to newcomen pump. When newcomen pump has no more water it can be upgraded to diesel water pump which is last possible tech. https://onetech.info is official site with all recipies, so you can trust it always. You can check how to build each well and everything else.

If you want to practice you can make your own server - it's very simple to make a local server.
Diesel engine is a very complicated thing to do, so even using https://onetech.info it may be overhelming. Try watching a tutorial on youtube how to make diesel engine before trying to make one on your own.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-06 09:01:41)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2019-11-06 09:33:33

miskas

foods value per water spend
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … 6&range=A2

This is not meant for beginners and might feel complicated, but eh here you have it.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-06 09:34:32)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2019-11-06 11:10:00

Hewlett

Hi guys,

Thank you for so much info, i will try to process everything!
Im glad to know that the water topic is still under discussion y though it was just me not understanding anything.

I have one more question about wells if someone can help me out. When i was checking the Tech Tree, i realized that every upgrade of the well requires the previous version of the well but "dry". So far so good. However, in some towns i have been i saw different versions of the well classified as "exahusted" (i think they were the basic well and the Newcomen Pump). It look that after exhausted there is nothing to do, am i right?

What is the difference between "dry" and "exhausted", its any advice to avoid exhausting a well?

Thanks!

#6 2019-11-06 11:30:07

Coconut Fruit

Once first level well (shallow well) gets out of water it becomes dry well. Once second level well (deep well) is out of water it becomes dry deep well. Once newcomen pump is out of water you can dissamble its parts and exhausted well is what is left and then only thing you can do with it is to install diesel engine to it (to exhausted well).
There is no way to avoid exhausting newcomen pump, unless nobody gets water from it tongue

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-06 11:47:24)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#7 2019-11-06 11:39:15

Coconut Fruit

Diesel water pump never gets exhausted, but it requires kerosene to work. You can turn oil into kerosene. You get oil from oil rigs that can be built on tarry spots, but oil rigs will exhaust sooner or later (about 11 uses per oil rig, depends on luck, max 5 oil rigs on map) - oil is limited. In the end water is limited and apocalypse is unavoidable.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-06 11:40:28)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#8 2019-11-06 12:12:40

Hewlett

Ok, i got it!
Thank you very much.

#9 2019-11-06 12:26:54

Coconut Fruit

I'm glad you asked, we need more people like you. I'm sad that the game has very bad tutorial that doesn't teach the game at all. So many new players quit after first games because they are too overhelmed.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

Board footer