a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-10 05:51:17

LifeLetters

My cute lil farm pen design + story

First, the pen design.

~Description~
-------------------
A small, regular fence pen with berry bushes on the corners (to allow easier food collection) is laid down by the carrot farm, then is surrounded by a wooden fence, corners covered. The top and bottom ends are turned to gates with short shafts, allowing easy access. The middle fence layer has two boxes drawn to it, which are placed at the bottom and top middle areas and secured. The wooden fence on the outside of the bottom box is turned to a gate and a layer of pits are dug on the outer border, not blocking the box's access. The lower box is filled with baskets, where dead sheep will be left to decay, or moved and buried via fence. The upper box stores four sheep-caring materials: Shears, spindle, knitting needles, and a stack of bowls to allow easier food collection. Sheep & whatever other animals needing securing are moved to the pen & require minimal work to continue upkeep.

~Image~
------------------
sheep_pen.PNG

Story time!
------------------
Darkness, then light. I was born, and it was terrible. No sheep, dead bushes all around. "You are Sofia Mills." I was confused; what's a sofia? I later discovered that that's me. As a young child, my mother ran, leaving me and my sister to fend for ourselves. I found the sheep pen, full of carcasses and made of nothing but a shaky fence. From then on, I decided to dedicate my life to that one task- remodeling. As time went on, I bore no children but one, who died as soon as I had her. My sister, on the other hand, had plentiful amounts and spent her time raising them. To begin my work at age three, I fixed up the current fences and cleaned out the old pen. I went out and collected branches and twigs, making a new, sturdier fence surrounding the one that'd broken down years prior. My sister was generous enough to find a small sheep and bring it to us, which was spoiled rotten, later getting slaughtered for the meat our family hadn't had in forever. After tinkering with more factors to improve my family's lives, I made gates. More gates. More points of access. I dug pits and put the fallen lambs to rest. Soon, I grew old and hardly had hair, but had a plentiful legacy. I never talked much, but I helped restore our sheep and rescue babies. My sister and I laid side by side by the town's nursery and reflected on our childhood. She took care of me, so in turn I took care of her children and her children's children, dressing them for generations to come.

Thank you for reading! Find and post life stories in my thread- spread the love!

The peace we're surrounded by is temporary; prepare yourself for the inevitable.

#2 2019-11-10 09:30:32

Coconut Fruit

Re: My cute lil farm pen design + story

Wait until property fences decay, remove fence gates with mallet, fix corners and it will be nice pen tongue

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2019-11-10 19:58:22

pein

not much point on surrounding the pen twice
also, no point on gates when it already blocks sheep, it just slows you down
if it's property fence, it can be any shape, but when any other material, you should make it square, it has a better ratio for free tiles/resources because centre tiles need no wall and squares got most centre tiles
since the property fences last 2 hours not one, surrounding the original pen is not the best option now, rather build new or put boxes on it

if you want that the corners not to stick out you can make the 2.nd or 3rd option from this
wDWZ2zR.png

the diagonal or X style (diagonal saves some inner space but you can only enter on one side) fits into a square so can be near roads, can be extended easily
the downside that berry bushes will always be down inside or corner of pens

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-11-11 08:40:17

Bremidon

I like the designs where there is only one entrance and exit.  This makes it a bit easier to corner griefers or even kill them before they can get all the sheep.

#5 2019-11-11 11:51:47

pein

technically you might need 2 exits
ever since the bones and sheared sheep doesn't block, there is no situation you will be blocked inside so the exits are mainly for the input and output
which is berry bowls with carrot in, and meat out, which can be the same exit/entrance, toward the bushes and oven
makes sense to plan the oven after the sheep pen, save time on gathering the meat, generall boxes to the wall can do that
just put boards and oven to one side, 90 degrees from the berry field, the pen is kind of central to each city
KKKVFeh.png
the megamutonator exit is good as well, it combines blocking objects with useful setup for cooking meat if you got extra

generally, one exit can face to the outskirts of the city, so you can take the bones out easily to a useless biome so the pen should be on a corner where is ice, desert or jungle
TzLBBTt.jpg

the oven makes sense to be below the pen, so it won't be covered up, also easier to cook meat like that
can be on side as well, but this seems to be the most logical way to put
when I tried my fortresses, made the most sense to make the pen first or plan for it, then put everything else in relation to it
diagonal smiths make no sense as people will get a looot of shit later on so you can't find a free spot so smith area gets messed up
also people were keeping the fire above the oven so all the babies  covered it so I would say the diagonal from pen should be a bay zone, witth boxes around it, limiting their movement, containing clothes

A0QEkb7.png
if you got a building then you can attach a pen like this, at least make it out of real fences, or you can keep a stew crock on the other side, and some boxes, the oven
gh9HYEq.jpg

I do like the creative diversity so you can change up some placement, mirror it, flip it, have multiple pens
eEGMTmH.jpg
you can have it smaller than the building so it has the "shuriken entrances", a corner entrance that is half front entrance, saves one wall tile but stays inside the shape, so no issues with roads

wyYJYNR.png
the most expandable is diagonal bushes blocking the sheep going out
it's a square shape, takes away  free tiles but it's the same cost as a smaller version like 5x4 for example, you don't even need things on corners, but you can have and then the roads can go near it, all you need is one extra tile around it to later expansion
so if your berry field can be accessed from bottom right you can take out bones top left

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-11-11 13:35:06

Jojigirl

LifeLetters, I really like the look and design of your pen! Good job smile

#7 2019-11-13 03:49:27

lilo

It looks good! its a shame its so unpractical to build nice looking pens.
I wish a pen door was added to the game that only players could cross but no animals, that way it would be possible to make realistic looking pens that were also practical.

#8 2019-11-13 16:40:32

pein

lilo wrote:

It looks good! its a shame its so unpractical to build nice looking pens.
I wish a pen door was added to the game that only players could cross but no animals, that way it would be possible to make realistic looking pens that were also practical.

tried springy doors but they let out a few if they move the right time
you can probably tone down with blocking some possibilities

if you build the pen on two biomes, then you can put goose and sheared sheep in one, they won't leave the biome
if its walled, it means maximum 3 possibilities for the sheep to go out, if its on a side, where 3 walls meet, then already blocks 2 ways
then they can only come from straight ahead

but honestly, any sort of error can end up with the last sheep going out and someone stabs it by mistake

#9 2019-11-13 17:58:40

Kaveh

There's one pen design that really stuck with me when I saw it for the first time. This was before property fences were a thing, so the fences were all wooden. Made a quick schematic representation of it:

UwGbhUu.png

A few pieces of the northern wall of the bakery were torn down and replaced by boxes, in which a lot of mutton could be stored. The other side of the pen had boxes for removal of sheep bones/wool and the tools were stored there too. I forgot to draw one handle on the bottom left of the pen, but basically it was two gates on either side w/ a berry bush in between (the bakery side had a regular door and then a gate). The double gate thing was pretty common back then but I haven't seen it much lately. Someone leaving one gate open wasn't an issue like this.
Bottom left is a nursery with a fire, the other orange/hurting ur eyes thing is the oven. There were more boxes in the bakery but that doesn't really matter so I didn't draw 'em. Wheat was planted south of the bakery, with the rest of the farm & town being to the west. Very nice place. Pretty sure it had a path of cut stones around it too.

#10 2019-11-13 18:56:15

Saolin

pein wrote:

Couldn't you prevent this with some strategically placed berry bushes at the gate?

#11 2019-11-13 21:13:49

pein

Saolin wrote:
pein wrote:

Couldn't you prevent this with some strategically placed berry bushes at the gate?

best to put a crockpot with cabbage and the oven on the other side of it, two boxes

Board footer