One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-17 17:38:12

Spoonwood

Is Picking Berries Too Slow?

I watched an old video from March of 2018.  The player picked up a clay bowl and used it on a berry bush!  The bowl was then full of berries.  Domestic gooseberry bushes had 6 berries instead of 7 berries they do now.  Would the tradeoff of being able to use a bowl on a domestic berry bush and having 6 berries on it, instead of 7 berries on it?  Or does the code make it necessary to have 6 berries on a bush for a clay bowl to get used on it?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-12-17 17:44:13

Starknight_One

Re: Is Picking Berries Too Slow?

Spoonwood wrote:

I watched an old video from March of 2018.  The player picked up a clay bowl and used it on a berry bush!  The bowl was then full of berries.  Domestic gooseberry bushes had 6 berries instead of 7 berries they do now.  Would the tradeoff of being able to use a bowl on a domestic berry bush and having 6 berries on it, instead of 7 berries on it?  Or does the code make it necessary to have 6 berries on a bush for a clay bowl to get used on it?

Given the way the engine works (at least from my understanding of what Jason has explained, not having dug into the code), the transition could work with either domestic or wild berry bushes, but the result would always be a 'full' bowl and an 'empty' bush - there's no support for automatically removing a certain number of berries from the bush and putting that number of berries in the bowl. Which would lead to confusion - 'Why can't I get a bowl of berries from this (domesticated with one berry missing) berry bush? There's six berries on it!'.

It could certainly be added... but would it be worth the number of spurious bug reports it would generate?

#3 2019-12-17 18:13:45

DestinyCall

The berry bowl has different sprites for different numbers of berries.   The bush has a different appearance depending on how many berries are left on the bush. 

Couldn't using the empty bowl on the bush return a different result depending on the current state of the bush?

I'm a little fuzzy on how transitions work but that seems possible.

Also, that video was most likely from 2HOL or another modded client.   To my knowledge, I don't think the main branch of the game has ever supported picking berries with a bowl, but that is an option in 2HOL.

#4 2019-12-17 18:50:34

Spoonwood

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uyg6QCQfyg

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-17 18:57:08)

Danish Clinch.

#5 2019-12-18 03:28:21

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

The berry bowl has different sprites for different numbers of berries.   The bush has a different appearance depending on how many berries are left on the bush. 

Couldn't using the empty bowl on the bush return a different result depending on the current state of the bush?

Also, that video was most likely from 2HOL or another modded client.   To my knowledge, I don't think the main branch of the game has ever supported picking berries with a bowl, but that is an option in 2HOL.

Base game had the ability to pick berries by the bowl but with all things in game it wouldn't rip berries off a bush with <6 but would take all six if the bush had 6-7 thus wasting a berry. I'd honestly rather waste a berry here and there for the ability to skip clicking 12 times to fill a single bowl.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2019-12-18 04:13:13

Spoonwood

fug wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Base game had the ability to pick berries by the bowl but with all things in game it wouldn't rip berries off a bush with <6 but would take all six if the bush had 6-7 thus wasting a berry. I'd honestly rather waste a berry here and there for the ability to skip clicking 12 times to fill a single bowl.

Wild bushes have 6 berries.  Why can't domestic bushes have 6 berries?  I have had problems telling wild bushes apart from domestic bushes when next to each other.  The difference in quantity between the two doesn't help much to tell them apart.  Also, domestic berry bushes suck as food anyways.  Would one less berry on a domestic bush be a real loss?  Maybe it could incentive advanced players to tell newer ones to not eat domestic berries so much?  Maybe fewer berries on a domestic bush would make berry munching less of a noob trap.  Maybe new players would learn to grow carrots sooner with fewer berries on a domestic bush.

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-12-18 04:37:30

DestinyCall

Ah, very interesting, fug.   That must have been before my time.   

I like would also like to see the bowl harvesting return.

#8 2019-12-18 05:54:35

FulmenTheFinn

Last I counted from old footage, berry bushes used to hold 8 berries, as did bowls.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#9 2019-12-18 07:30:05

Bremidon

I asked this on Discord.  Someone told me that people were *begging* Jason to remove the bowl on berry thing because it was being used for griefing.  Strip the berries fast, throw em on a cart, and then go hide them away from town.  Watch mass starvation.

I don't know if this is true (before my time), but it sounds plausible.

#10 2019-12-18 08:11:39

DarkDrak

oh, the old annoying times, where you had to run around for half an hour looking for a berry bush with 6 berries on it 'cause you couldnt use the bowl on literally any bush that wasnt full. And every time you were tending to the sheep and saw a berrymuncher pick a berry from a bush, your lust for blood gradually increased.

I don't know what was exactly the reason why it got changed as i ignored the existence of forums back at the time, but i remember the first time i could actually fill a bowl full of berries with berries picked form two half-full bushes, i sighed with joy.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#11 2019-12-18 20:57:08

WalrusesConquer

Yeah it used to be really annoying as you had to wait
A) for the berries to regrow (couldn't pick the last berry)
Or
B) an hour for a new berry bush to grow
I prefer it to how it is now if I'm being honest

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#12 2019-12-18 21:12:56

DestinyCall

Ideally, clicking the bush at any stage with an empty bowl should put the appropriate number of berries into the bowl.   

Requiring six berries before the bowl works is a problem too.  I can see why it needed to be changed, but making so many things require bowl of berry and making it so tedious to pick a bowl is not the right solution.

Board footer