One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-02 19:58:30

sigmen4020

Art: Ohol vs Survive Together

The dev of Survive Together wanted an answer to this question. Do you think the art of Ohol, showcased here is better:
lgissG1.png

Or the art of the still unfinished Survive Together is better:
GrHSp7T.png

Here's a straw poll where you can vote:
https://strawpoll.com/azkkhy72

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#2 2020-03-02 20:14:09

Tipy

Re: Art: Ohol vs Survive Together

Hmmm this is a tricky question

For one the art work displayed in the newley added ''dung box'' in OHOL is indeed a masterpiece the line work showcased in Survive Together is on a whole new level!

TL;DR: Tom's sprites for OHOL were the best, still courious why did him and Jason part ways

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#3 2020-03-02 22:09:45

fug

Ugly OHOL would still be ugly ohol. The first thing that caught my eye was the art and after watching the game it was love at first sight.

Ugly game looking like ass makes it harder to want to jump into even if it's the better version just like YaH is the better ohol but the controls are hard to get used to.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2020-03-02 22:36:12

sigmen4020

fug wrote:

Ugly OHOL would still be ugly ohol. The first thing that caught my eye was the art and after watching the game it was love at first sight.

Ugly game looking like ass makes it harder to want to jump into even if it's the better version just like YaH is the better ohol but the controls are hard to get used to.

Pretty much with you there. Guess we’ll see how it ends up when it releases. The dev aims to release it summer this year. He also said that he first plans to replace the placeholder art after it’s released instead of before, which is worrying.

#5 2020-03-02 23:53:02

Spoonwood

OHOL is not a game like Tetris, or Oxygen Not Included, or many others where one looks at an apparently static image with changes taking place to the apparently static image over time.  Players will stand still when talking, or when a streamer talks to their audience.  But, other than that they will often be moving, and the stop screen feature doesn't gets used that frequently.   It's a bit exaggerated of an analogy, perhaps, but the aesthetic appeal of a runner gets better understood through seeing the runner in motion rather than seeing a static photograph of that runner.  Assuming that players aren't zooming in and out in Survive Together, and other things are similar, the dynamic nature of the games will often make Survive Together look better than some of the previous comments suggest.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-03 00:26:50)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2020-03-03 00:02:47

fug

Spoonwood wrote:

OHOL is not a game like Tetris, or Oxygen Not Included, or many others where one looks at an apparently static image with changes taking place to the apparently static image over time.  Players will stand still when talking, or when a streamer talks to their audience.  But, other than that they will often be moving, and the stop screen feature doesn't gets used that frequently.   It's a big exaggerated of an analogy, perhaps, but the aesthetic appeal of a runner gets better understood through seeing the runner in motion rather than seeing a static photograph of that runner.  Assuming that players aren't zooming in and out in Survive Together, and other things are similar, the dynamic nature of the games will often make Survive Together look better than some of the previous comments suggest.

The art is ugly and not in a good way. You're full of shit as always. It's okay for games to be unaesthetic but pretending that in its current form is going to be anything other than an ugly mess is a lie and you should be ashamed.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2020-03-03 00:35:56

Amon

Get a professional artist, that's what I'd say. Unless the early flash game aesthetic was intended.

I wouldn't even say OHOL looks ugly in any stretch of the imagination. It has style, coherent and streamlined. The characters may look a tad too outstanding provided the environment they live in, but suppose they should stand out. The only thing I can say to Survive together is my opening statement. I'm perplexed why the question is even asked, especially if the assets are mere placeholders?

There is a beauty to ugliness indeed, but there is no surface ugliness to something that's beautiful. Art Brut shows the naivety of artists that can still capture one's visual interest.
Why are people sick and tired of 3D movies? Why? They don't distinguish themselves anymore, it's the same facial design doctrine of big eyes, big nose rounded features over and over and over again. Why are we getting into the process of tiring from pixel art games?
What even interests us anymore. Visuality is key.
Perhaps with the current graphics interest may be caught by a fluke, yet modern-day gamers are highly interested in superb visuals.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#8 2020-03-03 01:04:26

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

The art is ugly and not in a good way. You're full of shit as always. It's okay for games to be unaesthetic but pretending that in its current form is going to be anything other than an ugly mess is a lie and you should be ashamed.

I reread my comment and I'm pretty sure that I said less than what you ascribed to me.  Do you really think that games with dynamic, moving images can *fully* get compared in terms of their visual appeal by static images?  Also, organization is an aspect of beauty.  It looks to me like Survive Together may have more stacking of objects than The Future is a Female Death Hole.  Don't mistake the sprites for the bigger moving picture.  But, sure, Survive Together might have less aesthetic appeal visually overall.

Looking again stones/rocks for Survive Together look more realistic and varied than The Future is a Female Death Hole's rocks.  Though, other examples of sprites apparently will not favor Survive Together from what I see.  But again, don't mistake the sprites for the bigger moving picture.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-03-03 01:09:16

Spoonwood

Amon wrote:

Perhaps with the current graphics interest may be caught by a fluke, yet modern-day gamers are highly interested in superb visuals.

Are Minecraft players interested in visuals that much?  Or does, perhaps, the blockiness of MineCraft make it easier for players to feel more comfortable with the game when on the move?

Danish Clinch.

#10 2020-03-03 01:24:00

sigmen4020

Amon wrote:

Get a professional artist, that's what I'd say. Unless the early flash game aesthetic was intended.

I wouldn't even say OHOL looks ugly in any stretch of the imagination. It has style, coherent and streamlined. The characters may look a tad too outstanding provided the environment they live in, but suppose they should stand out. The only thing I can say to Survive together is my opening statement. I'm perplexed why the question is even asked, especially if the assets are mere placeholders?

The reason I’m asking this in the first place is because the dev of Survive Together is claiming that the art in One Hour One Life is worse than the art in his game. I disagreed holding the opposite view, and long story short decided to put it to a poll. If the dev didn’t make such a claim this post wouldn’t have been made.

This is the thread in the Steam forums where he is making these claims (he goes by the alias Jeck):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/595690/d … 574573395/

#11 2020-03-03 01:27:14

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:

Oh Spoon you would love the dev of Survive Together lol. Sure you have a lot of things in common, go chat him up on the Steam forums. He’s basically the only one one regularly posting there.

His game has bots and giving birth is a choice. Maybe that tempts you.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-03 01:37:52)

#12 2020-03-03 05:33:14

Jojigirl

I love the look of OHOL! Comparing the two photos above, the other game looks like a cheap/very generic knock-off of OHOL.  Most of the items shown are just hard to make out what they are supposed to be! Yeah, I don't like it.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-03-03 05:33:44)

#13 2020-03-03 08:02:43

Amon

sigmen4020 wrote:
Amon wrote:

The reason I’m asking this in the first place is because the dev of Survive Together is claiming that the art in One Hour One Life is worse than the art in his game. I disagreed holding the opposite view, and long story short decided to put it to a poll. If the dev didn’t make such a claim this post wouldn’t have been made.

This is the thread in the Steam forums where he is making these claims (he goes by the alias Jeck):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/595690/d … 574573395/

Your first line sounded as if the dev was posing a poll, oof. Nevermind.
However, the comments on the forum really made me think what kind of artistic sense the person has.

Also, Spoonwood. Minecraft doesn't have shit graphics and the blockiness is part of the aesthetic the people want and desire, even if it is just a result of the game's core mechanic.
There so many different texture packs and model mods that specifically go around to tweaking how the creatures, environments feel, even subtle changes like connected textures on vanilla.

A sense of security is probably the least of reasons why players play such games, it may very well be personal to some people. But most people play AAA games with AAA graphics.

Last edited by Amon (2020-03-03 08:03:06)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#14 2020-03-03 12:49:03

QuirkySmirkyIan

I'm a beta tester for Survive Together and I actually like the graphics, the bald man looks great. The game is going to be much better than ohol simply because the dev isn't a clown.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#15 2020-03-03 13:18:16

sigmen4020

Amon wrote:

Your first line sounded as if the dev was posing a poll, oof. Nevermind

In the Steam thread the dev was the first one to suggest a poll, so I still wouldn’t call the first sentence inaccurate. Also if you read the last few posts in that thread it’s clear that the dev has no issue with the poll (and was considering making one himself), and even says he’ll keep an eye on it.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-03 13:19:13)

#16 2020-03-03 15:06:54

Cantface

So they said they were going to hire an artist AFTER release? What if it doesn't sell well and he CAN'T hire one? A professional artist may cost too much to commission but I wish them the best of luck regardless.

Breasticles

#17 2020-03-03 15:25:15

sigmen4020

Cantface wrote:

So they said they were going to hire an artist AFTER release? What if it doesn't sell well and he CAN'T hire one? A professional artist may cost too much to commission but I wish them the best of luck regardless.

Yup, that’s definitely a big concern, because I’m not sure how many people would pay for a game with art like that. We’ll see how it pans out in the future, but I’m definitely concerned about this as well. Still hoping that it turns well.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-03-03 15:26:32)

#18 2020-03-03 15:32:56

Cantface

sigmen4020 wrote:

Yup, that’s definitely a big concern, because I’m not sure how many people would pay for a game with art like that. We’ll see how it pans out in the future, but I’m definitely concerned about this as well. Still hoping that it turns well.

Hmm, if he can't hire a professional they could always ask for help from the playerbase, there are some people who are cool enough to provide free art and if enough people collaborate then something could definitely be done. I'm not sure how willing people would be but it's an alternative to think about in case hiring an artist goes south.

Breasticles

#19 2020-03-03 16:45:37

sigmen4020

Cantface wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

Hmm, if he can't hire a professional they could always ask for help from the playerbase, there are some people who are cool enough to provide free art and if enough people collaborate then something could definitely be done. I'm not sure how willing people would be but it's an alternative to think about in case hiring an artist goes south.s

Yeah, I remember suggesting that to him when I first learned of his game. He’s pretty stubborn about not joining the official forum (where most passionate ppl are) though, and exclusively posts on the Steam forums and is not a member of the Discord either. Not entirely sure why.

#20 2020-03-06 01:23:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Jeck....

Board footer