One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-23 03:44:47

Alontae Balasa

Tutorial (not suggestion about how to change it)

I heard that you could break out of the tutorial room, so I played the tutorial and successfully broke out.

I met someone else who was playing the tutorial to learn smithing, and taught them how to make iron, but they died of old age (I brought my axe and shovel to break into their tutorial room).

Questions:
1. Do all tutorial players play on the same server?
2. Is the tutorial area located in a faraway location on the main server? Or is there a dedicated server for tutorials only?
3. I noticed some tutorial rooms had cracked adobe walls, but some did not. Why?
4. Can you build a bell tower in the tutorial area over many tutorial lives?
5. Can you hypothetically build an endtower by finding other players and killing them (luring them to Dark Nosaj first) over multiple tutorial lives? This would be ridiculous and ridiculously difficult, but is it possible?
6. Can you spawn as twins in the tutorial?
7. Is there anything east or west of the tutorial rooms?

Random Bonus Question: Can you curse yourself?

Thanks if you answer the questions. I'm a very curious person.

I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them!

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#2 2020-04-23 03:58:49

Spoonwood

Re: Tutorial (not suggestion about how to change it)

1. There's a tutorial area on every server.  Picking to play the tutorial doesn't change your server.  For a fair amount of time now, more than a few weeks, I haven't known anyone to mysteriously end up on a server.  People default to bigserver2, except during the period when the game gets updated, where players not checking a custom server play on server1.

2. Yes, the tutorial area is something like 5,400,000 tiles away from where everyone else plays. 

3. Cracked walls is a sign of decay, and objects don't behave differently in the tutorial area than elsewhere.

4. I think so.

5. I think so.

6. Yes, people have spawned as twins in the tutorial area before.

7. Yes, there's more of the map east and west of the tutorial rooms.  There's over 5,400,000 tiles east.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-04-23 04:21:20

DestinyCall

Answer to Bonus Question - Yes you can, but it involves having two account and really low self-esteem.

#4 2020-04-23 04:27:04

Alontae Balasa

So, if you built a bell tower in the tutorial area and rang it, people would see an arrow pointing 5.4 million tiles west?
And you can trigger the apocalypse from the tutorial area if you collaborate with someone to build an endtower. Seems like a good way to avoid people breaking your tower.

Is the world generated as players explore it? And when you spawn in the tutorial area, does the game create a new tutorial room?

Last edited by Alontae Balasa (2020-04-23 04:27:56)

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#5 2020-04-23 04:34:24

Spoonwood

Alontae Balasa wrote:

So, if you built a bell tower in the tutorial area and rang it, people would see an arrow pointing 5.4 million tiles west?

Yes.

Alontae Balasa wrote:

And when you spawn in the tutorial area, does the game create a new tutorial room?

I think so.  My understanding is that tutorial areas spawn from the south to the north.  Newer tutorial areas are up from older ones.  When I've run north before, it's usually not too long to find the wilderness.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2020-04-23 04:40:18

Alontae Balasa

Thanks Spoonwood and DestinyCall for the info! Now I wanna make a bell tower in the tutorial area. tongue

#7 2020-04-23 07:38:03

testo

bonus track:

- Nowways you only need a pickaxe to break the adobe wall, no more stinky axe/shovel combo.

- If you know about the game you can get a horse in one life, move north to the end of the tutorial cells and get it back once you come back in a second tutorial run (don´t leave it close to the old cells or inside, tutorial cells set a layout over the map and delete everything inside. You can´t leave yourself anything inside a cell once it renews but you can leave anything outside on the map).

- Tutorial cells are created over the map before the player joins, always on an existing place (those cracked tutorial cells are old cells). If you run towards the last active cell and go into the next cracked cell at the begining and break with a pickaxe you can literally see the next player pop out of nowhere in his starting spot.

- Each server has its separated tutorial zone, made exactly under the same layout.

- You don´t need a froe while plying tutorial runs, just use the boxes inside or make an adze and break the floor close to the snow area (you can get gold there and make a crown too)

- You can get to horse with your 6 iron: hammer/axe/shovel to get out, get goose, chisel, adze, file and recycle chisel to get blade and knife. Get goose and sheep from the outside, make fence get carrot lasso and ride. You can recycle the knife for saw.

Last edited by testo (2020-04-23 07:40:11)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2020-04-23 14:55:31

Alontae Balasa

So, there is a limited number of tutorial cells? And new ones are created right before the player joins, on top of old ones.
Do you know how many tutorial cells there are?

testo wrote:

- You can get to horse with your 6 iron: hammer/axe/shovel to get out, get goose, chisel, adze, file and recycle chisel to get blade and knife. Get goose and sheep from the outside, make fence get carrot lasso and ride. You can recycle the knife for saw.

I will try this. Seems like a good idea. Thank you!

#9 2020-04-23 16:21:06

wondible

Alontae Balasa wrote:

So, there is a limited number of tutorial cells? And new ones are created right before the player joins, on top of old ones.

Yes, they are created on demand. I'm not sure if the position ever resets.

You can see the current edge of the northward progress here:

https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=5400146& … 1587598657

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2020-04-23 17:13:15

testo

Alontae Balasa wrote:

testo wrote:

I will try this. Seems like a good idea. Thank you!

I don´t know the full pattern, but I do know the tutorial cells are currently going north (they used to go north or south I never figured out why). I also know they start overlapping with the old ones (those with cracked walls). They whole column also used to shift east and west by a sizable distance 100k maybe. I used to play tutorial runs exclusively in this game, going from cell to cell teaching noobs. I never rode the full column north south though.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#11 2020-04-23 19:04:56

Alontae Balasa

According to OneMap, the tutorial cells start at (5400000, 0) and go north to (5400000, 10400). Each tutorial cell is 40 tiles north or south of another one, along the y-axis.

10400/40 = 260, so there are 260 tutorial cells, which makes sense because the capacity of bigserver2 is 260 players. http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report
I guess there are enough tutorial cells in case the server reaches max capacity from everyone playing the tutorial.

Just to clarify, new cells spawn on top of old unused cells, right? (the game doesn't generate new cells above the existing block) I assume this because there are exactly 260 cells. I hope so, because it would be very hard to make a bell tower if new tutorial cells kept spawning north. You would spawn further and further away from the bell tower camp.

#12 2020-04-24 04:55:38

testo

Alontae Balasa wrote:

According to OneMap, the tutorial cells start at (5400000, 0) and go north to (5400000, 10400). Each tutorial cell is 40 tiles north or south of another one, along the y-axis.

10400/40 = 260, so there are 260 tutorial cells, which makes sense because the capacity of bigserver2 is 260 players. http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report
I guess there are enough tutorial cells in case the server reaches max capacity from everyone playing the tutorial.

Just to clarify, new cells spawn on top of old unused cells, right? (the game doesn't generate new cells above the existing block) I assume this because there are exactly 260 cells. I hope so, because it would be very hard to make a bell tower if new tutorial cells kept spawning north. You would spawn further and further away from the bell tower camp.

That makes sense. Maybe the algorithm changed but I think at some point the whole column gets moved east.

- Jack Ass

#13 2020-04-24 08:36:58

Alontae Balasa

small eve camp test

So, I played two lives in a row. I didn't manage to get a horse, but the cell I spawned in on the second life was right above the first one (good news!) I set up a small camp and used the "go north/south" signs + skewers -> letter stock to make this sign. I haven't done anything for the bell yet, but it's a start.

I also raided a couple of other tutorial cells where people had forged tools and escaped.

Last edited by Alontae Balasa (2020-04-24 08:37:57)

Board footer