a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-02 04:19:32

Alontae Balasa

Child Abandonment

Here's more evidence for you, Spoonwood:
starvation
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6182988

I had to abandon so many babies, because we did not have enough food. We didn't have a well when I was born, we didn't have iron, and we didn't have a forge. I was generation 9! I ended up only keeping two kids (both girls of course). At one point, babies were popping out of me every ten seconds, and they did not use /DIE. I told my kids to say /DIE, but some wanted to play.

Also, there was a bear griefer who brought three bears to the town. Fortunately we killed the bears, but as I was running away from one, I had a baby, who was a NEW player. He was eaten by the bear.

I don't like to abandon babies, especially new players.

I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them!

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#2 2020-05-02 04:29:24

TheRubyCart

Re: Child Abandonment

oof size L A R G E

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2020-05-02 04:46:58

fug

Server reset just needs to produce a lot of Eves AND probably needs to spread them out to allow more than 4 lineages to live early. I didn't Eve this week because I wanted some sleep but the last two times I did on server reset our population 2 hours in was way waaaay too high. A gen 4 camp should never have 40+ people in it.

As pein has suggested before another potential fix is just limiting population via tech (aka magic homelands shenanigans).

No homeland? Max population 5.
Shallow well? Max population 10.
Deep well? Max population 15.
Newcomen well? Max population 20.
Diesel well? Max population 25.

If there are two homelands the higher tier determines population cap. This would still have issues but server reset wouldn't be a corpse carpet anymore.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2020-05-02 05:24:49

Alontae Balasa

My gene score tanked from 36 to 29 after that life.

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#5 2020-05-02 07:54:40

testo

We were just unlucky at that point because I could totally feel the lowered food. We had nothing lmao, not even an axe when I spawned there. what you see is what we had in terms of food. I run east to get some wild food and clay for some omellettes, saw my sister (the one on the top), she had taken the bp and she just said bye and afked!! man I was so pissed lawl. By the time mom died I already had 3 girls and some stable food in omelettes and carrots and some steel, I miscalculated a bite when the girls took the last omelettes and the corn was drying for the stew XD. The biggest problem was the lack of wild food and trees in close range.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2020-05-02 11:02:30

Spoonwood

Well, that was fugly.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-05-02 11:14:23

Arcurus

Alontae Balasa wrote:

Here's more evidence for you, Spoonwood:

... I had a baby, who was a NEW player. He was eaten by the bear.

I don't like to abandon babies, especially new players.

that sounds sooo bad!

By the way, funny how she smiles still in the picture will all the dead people around... i guess never loose your smile even in the apocalypse is the mantra....

#8 2020-05-02 12:20:52

wondible

Alontae Balasa wrote:

My gene score tanked from 36 to 29 after that life.

I went from around 45 to 7 a few weeks ago.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#9 2020-05-02 14:59:48

pein

Wells would not be good at this since there is no guarantee that you made it, no guarantee that people don't steal your engine or that you don't put an engine on someone else well.

This should be something linked with homeland and family, and when your fam dies out it goes away. Like a totem or something. Should not be taken over by others.
Also, something that you start from scratch each time you change your town so outposts start off on a lower number.

5 jumps are too much, and the lowest number could be 3.  It should go up 1 by 1, it could also be that each family has a limited number of points and a direct competition to take it way.

Let's say we start with 8 eves, one of each race, the number of players online is 50. so you get around 6.125 per family.
But you start off with 3 pop and direct competition between you and another family. The better of you two get a population cap increase. It could be one round between the same races and one round randomly. So you would fight for the population. This would be some sort of quests or checks like you need to produce something before the end of the timer.
The checks would be like total food in the camp, and the total variety above 10 units of food produced within the timeframe so there aren't too many ties, this wins would only affect the order but give no increase. Both families are at 10 max, then the winner gets first baby each time one comes, and they got a slot. With a difference in points, they would get the first and second too.
But the food check could control better, who goes first like it could go up to 0.99 so you get the first baby in case others got no limit.

This would make the same colour families compete more with each other, and when one dies, allow a small family to come

This would be harsh on new fams when old ones are present, so time should factor in, so new families should not compete with old ones for a while.

Whites are useless so they could compete with others more, or have less of them.

Also quite interesting for males, as they can take away a lot of population without continuity. So might be needed a nerf and buff.
Most logical would be that males live shorter lives, so they can be reborn more frequently, but they can have more tool slots or get double-positive meme score (negatives stay the same).
Right now males quit before age 20 more frequently but if they stay, they probably live to 60 more often than females, who quit a lot after 40.
Every time we got issues with missing races, the top candidate has 60-70% males. We could have healthy fmailies with those numbers.
dDgsFx9.png

here, ignoring the 3 Eves, we got 18 out of 53 players female, that's 34 males. The boost for the females below 3 per family is high, especially for eve camps, they can just have 2 girls and those 2 girls 2 each then already they att 8 females and next-generation goes out of control.
The males should not be above 50% too much.

jSMmo7O.png
these ar total random screenshots as it was not the goal tto capture this, it just happened that I screenshot the entire screen and had it on it
29/50 I cut off a bit, that's a healthy distribution
19/47 and 2 new eves, that's a 75% male population
20/51+1 eve, that's also more males

it seems that every time we got more families coming, we got way too many males in the old families.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-05-04 22:21:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'll tweak those numbers again before the next reset.

Actually, looking at "normal" times, like right now, I see:

1588627530.81 nid:2966695 fam:4 mom:11 bb:6 plr:48 eve:1 avAge:27.76

I.e., total pop of 48, with 6 babies and 11 moms.  That's 0.54 bb per mom, and 8 adults per baby (0.125 bb per adult).

I currently have the max BB/mom ratio set to 2.0, and the max bb per adult set to 2.0.

Those numbers are probably STILL way too high, but it only comes into affect after a server restart.

I will turn them both down to 1.0 now, and we'll see how the next restart feels.

There should be 2x as many Eves as usual.

#11 2020-05-06 02:20:28

Alontae Balasa

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'll tweak those numbers again before the next reset.

Actually, looking at "normal" times, like right now, I see:

1588627530.81 nid:2966695 fam:4 mom:11 bb:6 plr:48 eve:1 avAge:27.76

I.e., total pop of 48, with 6 babies and 11 moms.  That's 0.54 bb per mom, and 8 adults per baby (0.125 bb per adult).

I currently have the max BB/mom ratio set to 2.0, and the max bb per adult set to 2.0.

Those numbers are probably STILL way too high, but it only comes into affect after a server restart.

I will turn them both down to 1.0 now, and we'll see how the next restart feels.

There should be 2x as many Eves as usual.

Thanks for this change!

Board footer