One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-08 20:46:16

Arcurus

Its very hard to take care of relatives if you dont know they need you

Problem: Its very hard to take care of relatives if you dont know they need your care.

Would be great to have an notice if one of your relatives is starving to death, especially one of your child, or am i simply missing something?

Something like a different face expression, a pointer to him, a different color?

Also would be great to have more time to save someone if starving to death. maybe halve his movement speed but give double of time.

UPDATE:

My idea would be to give more time before you starve to death, but reduce in exchange the speed.
- if you are starving the movement speed is x 0.8 (80%) but food use is x 0.5 (50%)
- if you are starving to death the movement speed is x 0.5 (50%) but food use is x 0.2 (20%)

Effect:

If you happen to starve you are not that efficient, but you save a lot of energy. This would give some space in between death and fully healthy and in general give more time to help starving people

Here in the forum:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9674

Added it also in the suggestion reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … relatives/

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-13 10:13:26)

#2 2020-05-08 23:17:32

Crumpaloo

Re: Its very hard to take care of relatives if you dont know they need you

Arccurus, the Genetic Fitness mechanic is flawed at its core because other peoples actions can affects how your score is dictated. Be that from them killing themselves, griefers, famine, etc., all those things are out of your control, and yet you get punished for it regardless. 

Also Jason wanted mothers and their babies to require more communication which is why he released a update that made it harder to feed your bb. So a system that automatically tells you to feed your baby would sound counter-intuitive to his vision.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#3 2020-05-08 23:24:08

Gomez

Griefers and famine out of your control?  I mean I can teach you how to make soup and coal cook like a boss.  Griefers take a bit more attention but I can seriously feed a town solo.  Just drill three sisters stew til you can do it blind folded and backwards.  I can fill a tire cart of three sisters stew in 5-15 minutes depending on the state of the farms.

Coal cooking for food diversity and for duck rampages....fill a cart with beheaded ducks and drop em at the nursery while making an angry face for added effect. Skin while menacingly holding a knife, slow cook over coals and voila duck l'orange! Cook up pork and beans, any rabbits egg oven for the tortillas and omelettes.  Blamo we eating good tonight.

It's actually pretty cool to throw down 8 fires at once and speed cook 8 stu in a row, while holding my burning brand shouting at Bobo and carrot sponges that I will shank anyone caught misusing my stu or removing a soup bowl.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-08 23:33:02)

#4 2020-05-08 23:32:19

Crumpaloo

Gomez wrote:

Griefers and famine out of your control?  I mean I can teach you how to make soup and coal cook like a boss.  Griefers take a bit more attention but I can seriously feed a town solo.  Just drill three sisters stew til you can do it blind folded and backwards.  I can fill a tire cart of three sisters stew in 5-15 minutes depending on the state of the farms.

It's actually pretty cool to throw down 8 fires at once and speed cook 8 stu in a row, while holding my burning brand shouting at Bobo and carrot sponges that I will shank anyone caught misusing my stu or removing a soup bowl.

I mean theres a whole lot of nuance to this, what if you are a baby and a griefer stabs your mom? Then not only does she die but you starve as well, which both cases affects your score negatively.

Are you gonna convince a griefer in one letter sentences to not stab your mom? Will emote spamming save you? In that case theres very little control on your part and yet you still get punished for something someone ELSE does.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#5 2020-05-08 23:34:10

Gomez

Sure always gonna be setbacks via griefers get good at cooking and your genetics score will go up, I promise.  Plus as a chef you should always have a knife in advanced towns.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-08 23:35:31)

#6 2020-05-08 23:54:46

Laskara

I tend to hover around a score of forty and im pretty sure gomez is right, it's because I tend to spend most lifetimes as a cook. i know how to make most of the foods and usually try to force neoberrymuncher towns that only make rabbit/mutton pie, bread and three sister's stew to use some of their beans for tacos and burritos instead and fill some of their pies with berry and carrot variants so we can all yum and eat less. Factors out of my control are the reason it's not higher, I almost always live to 60 but I'll get knocked down if, for example, someone traps all my relatives in a pen for some reason and the town leader keeps exiling and killing them, which happened today for some reason

#7 2020-05-09 00:06:35

Lightning

Gomez wrote:

Griefers and famine out of your control? (...) but I can seriously feed a town solo.

The real question is: for how long can you actually keep a town going like that, sure for a small town it can be manageable, but for the future generations... dont think it will be too easy for them to sustain themselves.

Not that im doubting your capacities to make food, but its harder than ever to keep a town afloat with food supplies, now that we dont have food bonuses, and that water has becomed scarcer than ever.

#8 2020-05-09 00:13:27

Gomez

Yeah older lines have some serious food issues with people slamming down whole pies instead of yumming.  Gonna have to be a culture shift and education to handle that....or maybe Jason will scale back the masochism that is feeding older lineages currently.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-09 00:14:00)

#9 2020-05-09 00:28:18

Legs

It seems like a lot of players have trouble even understanding what's food and how to eat it.

Today I was in a town undergoing renovations. We were digging up all the berry bushes and replanting a small section next to the sheep pen, outside the town center. So people don't munch. There was a LOT of concern and confusion about why the precious berries were being dug. Towards the end of the project most of the town was lamenting our doom. There's no food! Nothing to eat! We're doomed!

Meanwhile tons of broth, corn, milk, turkey etc surrounding them. Whole and skim milk with pouches, bowls and bottles. Someone told me angrily, "I can't EAT milk!!"

Loco Motion

#10 2020-05-09 00:31:35

Legs

I issued an order to plant more wheat and bake bread. Someone standing by a 3-wide patch of wheat insisted, "we already have wheat."

Meanwhile there are a dozen bowls of cream just waiting to be made butter. The town could live for two hours on buttered bread and they're all starving because nobody's baking or buttering.

Meanwhile, the town leader is making murder mouth at anyone that touches a carrot, because we have only one row and no seeds. People munch them anyway.

Loco Motion

#11 2020-05-09 11:24:49

Arcurus

Laskara wrote:

I... if, for example, someone traps all my relatives in a pen for some reason and the town leader keeps exiling and killing them, which happened today for some reason

sounds like a nice leader smile

to letting babies stuck with saying "F"  "F" "F" .... no comment ....

at least saying F could be automatically changed to cry instead very loudly... damn i guess this was a comment....

To the other flaws with the genetic score, im working on an proposal to make it better and on a second one to replace it fully with something else, i call it family based karma or something:
- once a child becomes 10 years old all who fed it get 100 karma distributed to them proportional how much they fed the child
- once a child becomes 10 years old, it looses 100 karma (it got a body able to take care of it now, for that it has to pay)
- if you murder one from your own family you loose 50 karma, 100 if its a close relative, 500 if its your mother or child
- if you murder one from a distant family you loose 50 karma in this family
- if you kill a murder instead of loosing karma, you get half ob the karma the murderer lost
- if you decay and are not buried (as bone pile), you loose 50 karma (200 karma if some one "cursed" your grave by butting a stone on the bone pile)
- if you got a grave with at least a gravestone you get one time 100 karma (at same time where normally your body would decay)

- you cannot be borne in a family where you have negative karma, if none is available --> donkeytown
- you have higher chances to be born in a family with positive karma
- if a leader dies, the leader with the highest karma is the next leader by default no matter which age

- Optionally karma may even itself out over a certain long time period

This would effectively hinder you to be borne in families where you messed up with.

You are mainly responsible for the actions you do. if people like what you did, at least there is the hope that one buries you nicely.

of course there should be primitive instruments to bury someone as alternative to shovel like for example a simple clay bowl could work to dig out a grave with "hard work".

The karma system is early work, so feel free to outline the flaws....

Have fun!

UPDATE: i outlined the karma stystem now here in the suggestion reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ma_system/

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-09 11:52:08)

Board footer